The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Sent to Siberia  (Read 525 times)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Sent to Siberia
« on: March 27, 2016, 11:02:23 AM »
Well hello, Russia...I'm back...

A few loose ends to tie up here... It's above freezing - the snow is melting - piled up atthe airport and by the road-side   - and the the taxi drive from the airport to the hotel was great..driving through huge muddy puddles - felt like I was in a car rally  :chuckle:

For those of who who've never been to Siberia .... there's a reason why the model agencies come here...On the plane here..I've never seen so many good looking lasses.

When I went through passport control, I was puzzled - the lady didn't ask me to sign the immigration slip..the one that one normally signs twice  - keeping one part until leaving.

Is this new ? Sparky just left today - hopefully he'll know.

I did ask the passport lady..''Ni dolzhen delat resolutzi ?'' - sorry about my Russian - and she smiled and waved me through..I was the last through...I sat and waited for the queue to subside....passport control was doing Russian citizens in 30secs, or less - so not long to get through.

Offline Gipsy

Re: Sent to Siberia
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 02:21:16 PM »

A few loose ends to tie up here... It's above freezing - the snow is melting - piled up atthe airport and by the road-side   - and the the taxi drive from the airport to the hotel was great..driving through huge muddy puddles - felt like I was in a car rally  :chuckle:

For those of who who've never been to Siberia .... there's a reason why the model agencies come here...On the plane here..I've never seen so many good looking lasses.

When I went through passport control, I was puzzled - the lady didn't ask me to sign the immigration slip..the one that one normally signs twice  - keeping one part until leaving.

I did ask the passport lady..''Ni dolzhen delat resolutzi ?'' - sorry about my Russian - and she smiled and waved me through..I was the last through...I sat and waited for the queue to subside....passport control was doing Russian citizens in 30secs, or less - so not long to get through.

What were you trying to tell/ask her??

If you were asking her if there was any need to sign the immigration slip, you may have achieved a better result by saying " Ni dolzhen delat avtograf ", of better still " Я не должен делать автограф ", which, I suggest that most Russians would understand.

Damn my Russian is better than Moby's   :ROFL:

Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online msmoby

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:45:19 PM »

Ask her, naturally..
 :'(

The rest of your statement is 'interesting'...SC looked at your 'suggestion' and wondered if I thought the passport control lady would be thinking my signature was worth collecting  :ROFL:

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 01:04:42 AM »

Ask her, naturally..
 :'(

The rest of your statement is 'interesting'...SC looked at your 'suggestion' and wondered if I thought the passport control lady would be thinking my signature was worth collecting  :ROFL:

My your superiority complex is showing through today.

So what exactly were you asking with ''Ni dolzhen delat resolutzi ?''
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online msmoby

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 01:17:21 AM »
It should be pointed out that both the flights from Bangkok to Novosibirsk and on to Sochi were nearly full..I flew S7 and all the staff were friendly and helpful.

At the prices being charged - it seems Russia could do with some entrepreneurial spirit in the form of low cost airline competition

Sometimes I can get flights to / from Moscow to Sochi for 30 USD ... at the weekend, they were 30 times that.

One last traveller tip.. if flying economy with an airline that offers a choice of hot meal ... don't sit nearer to the back... the Chicken option ran out with the passenger in 34E beating me to the option to decline the fish  :chuckle:

AT Gypo, my 'superiority complex' derives from your 'interesting' variant for asking , ''no need to sign?'' and was just another Gypo fail... I checked with a second

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 02:35:22 AM »
Oh, Manny, I think Moby's sig line has a small typo!

Correctly it should read 'I am an habitual liar and utterly dishonest.'
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Danchik

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 05:59:04 AM »
The immigration card is printed out for you at passport control and it has been that way for years. No signature, no muss, no fuss.

я не должен подписать? This is how I would ask. But actually, if no one says anything to me at passport control I'm off and running; I don't ask questions :). Only silly foreigners do :P.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 06:08:54 AM »
The immigration card is printed out for you at passport control and it has been that way for years. No signature, no muss, no fuss.

я не должен подписать? This is how I would ask. But actually, if no one says anything to me at passport control I'm off and running; I don't ask questions :). Only silly foreigners do :P.

100%.

I only suggested the word "Autograph", as its easier to remember, and also means "Signature", as told to me by my Russian teacher.

Its how I began, and it was always understood.

Most certainly much better than "Resolutzi" (I don't know what it is supposed to mean even).  ???

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 01:54:01 AM »

You shouldn't be looking at them? Or do you do it through the corner of your eye whilst pretending to sleep? And lastly have you a blanket covering yourself whilst doing this ??  :laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online msmoby

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 10:04:31 PM »

You shouldn't be looking at them?

Or do you do it through the corner of your eye whilst pretending to sleep? And lastly have you a blanket covering yourself whilst doing this ??  :laugh:

Good lord, no...I look, they know that I know I'm just admiring the view... SC knows the western expression ...'why eat a hamburger, when steak awaits at home'..

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 03:49:49 AM »

You shouldn't be looking at them?

Or do you do it through the corner of your eye whilst pretending to sleep? And lastly have you a blanket covering yourself whilst doing this ??  :laugh:

Good lord, no...I look, they know that I know I'm just admiring the view... SC knows the western expression ...'why eat a hamburger, when steak awaits at home'..

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
From the person who has admitted to being a hamburger lover..  :ROFL:

Does she also know the western expression..."When the cats away, the mouse will play".   ???

Makes a welcome change from juices, veggies, and drinking from coconuts..  :coffeeread:

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 03:54:24 AM »
It should be pointed out that both the flights from Bangkok to Novosibirsk and on to Sochi were nearly full..I flew S7 and all the staff were friendly and helpful.

At the prices being charged - it seems Russia could do with some entrepreneurial spirit in the form of low cost airline competition

Sometimes I can get flights to / from Moscow to Sochi for 30 USD ... at the weekend, they were 30 times that.

One last traveller tip.. if flying economy with an airline that offers a choice of hot meal ... don't sit nearer to the back... the Chicken option ran out with the passenger in 34E beating me to the option to decline the fish  :chuckle:

AT Gypo, my 'superiority complex' derives from your 'interesting' variant for asking , ''no need to sign?'' and was just another Gypo fail... I checked with a second

Ha ha ha, No fail here sonnyjim, explain what resolutzi means...
Checked with an expert...

MSMOBY TM fail...

Online msmoby

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2016, 09:03:43 AM »

THAT would be why there's the place where one is supposed to sign to agree with the terms of one's stay  ?..

я не должен подписать? This is how I would ask.

Thank you, this concurs with what most Russians suggested I should have said...

But actually, if no one says anything to me at passport control I'm off and running; I don't ask questions :). Only silly foreigners do :P.

This 'silly' foreigner was asked to sign when registering his visa  :coffeeread: