The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Need a connection.  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Beaglerx2

• Trips: 5-10
Need a connection.
« on: March 07, 2016, 08:38:19 PM »
It looks like I will be heading to Ukraine in a month, I have not been there for years and I was hoping someone would have a source for a modest apartment and perhaps taxi. I will be in Kiev and my partner and I will then go to Lvov. So any info out that way would be nice too. At one time I had a rolodex of people in a number of key cities but a lot of time has passed.

-Back in the saddle

Online Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
Re: Need a connection.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 08:55:43 PM »
Pls send me a pm.  I was in both cities last November.  I rented an excellent flat in central Kiev right on the nezavisimosti independe square.  The owner provided transfer and driver at an additional fee.  price was reasonsble and flat excellent.  In Lvov I rented a beautiful flat from the early 1900 with a lot of charm.  Also in the center.  Walking distance to the high castle and historic cemetery.  Both were thru airbnb. 

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 10:36:43 PM »
I suggest you give this guy a try if you need a guide and interpreter.  Good luck to you!

http://www.ace-interpreter.com/
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Beaglerx2

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:22:38 AM »
I suggest you give this guy a try if you need a guide and interpreter.  Good luck to you!

Thanks for that link, I will hang on to it though I mainly (at this point) need a reliable taxi, and accommodations.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 05:00:04 AM »

Thanks for that link, I will hang on to it though I mainly (at this point) need a reliable taxi, and accommodations.

Do they have reliable taxis in Ukraine ? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 07:19:39 AM »
They have plenty of Daewoo Lanos taxis about Kiev, mostly with summer slicks on  :ROFL:
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 12:12:25 PM »
I always thought Ukrainian women in the foreign dating game always have their own personal taxi driver? You know at a special rate... :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 05:46:49 PM »

He can arrange that for you, no need to hire him as a guide or an interpreter.  He does the simple stuff as well and if you don't have any other connections I would use him.  Be careful allowing a woman to help you out with the accommodations.  If she's working for an agency or just rotten to begin with she will likely take advantage of you.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Beaglerx2

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 10:10:01 PM »
Thanks for that Anteros, she is not from Kiev and at this  point it looks like I am the one to make apartment and taxi arraignments.
 THere was a guy I think Pavel I used years ago, anyone know if he is still in the biz?

-Side question.

I have an iphone (4 I think) which is not activated to a plan yet. Can that be charged up with a card over there and used?

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 12:42:09 AM »

-Side question.

I have an iphone (4 I think) which is not activated to a plan yet. Can that be charged up with a card over there and used?

Ukraine is like all other countries in the world, sim cards are available. Whether it will work on your phone depends on a number of factors, of which you will already know. Is it unlocked etc...

You say you've been to Ukraine before??
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 02:46:04 AM »
I always thought Ukrainian women in the foreign dating game always have their own personal taxi driver? You know at a special rate... :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

Yawn.... I expect most UA women - just like their Russian counterparts would want to get a good deal for their visitor ...   
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 11:31:55 AM »
You can go to L'viv from Kivy by train, plane or car (taxi). In the what it is worth the road is not so bad.

I have been numerous times to both cities. They are quite different in many respects.

The best coffee in L'viv is at the old square, called Centaur. But L'viv has a café culture so there are numerous places. There are a couple decent museums. Go to the Pinsel museum and look for the foot sticking out the ceiling. There also is the house where Leopold R. von Sacher-Masoch was born and lived in. There you can see what level of pain and abuse your girl friend (partner) can tolerate.

In Kivy go the top of Podil and walk down on a weekend looking at the street art (most quite bad) If you want more exercise walk up! If you enjoy contemporary art there is the Pinchuk center. Two more traditional museums are the East West Museum and another dedicated to Russian art. They are close to each other opposite the University. Another museum dedicated to Ukraine art is close to Maidan. One cool building is in the government building complex called The House of the Chimaeras or Horodecki House. 

Numerous travel reports on RUA describe both cities in detail.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 02:07:36 PM »
If your with a FSU women you needn't really worry about taxis anyway??  I mean you just let her stand at side of the road and hitch a car , takes 5 mins for about 10 rides to pull up..
We do it all the time..
Some snobs may say "I wouldn't do that theres no insurance"  But it doesn't really matter anyway, if your in a official taxi and have an accident you can be sure never to receive any compensation.. :laugh:

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2016, 02:13:05 PM »
If your with a FSU women you needn't really worry about taxis anyway??  I mean you just let her stand at side of the road and hitch a car , takes 5 mins for about 10 rides to pull up..
We do it all the time..
Some snobs may say "I wouldn't do that theres no insurance"  But it doesn't really matter anyway, if your in a official taxi and have an accident you can be sure never to receive any compensation.. :laugh:

The dodgy one we hailed off the street in Chelyabinsk last June had a bullet hole in the windscreen I kid you not! It was some stone if it wasn't.......
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 02:24:11 PM »
We do it all the time..

The dodgy one we hailed off the street in Chelyabinsk last June had a bullet hole in the windscreen I kid you not! It was some stone if it wasn't.......

My sister and husband were over last summer we pulled a car over and she said "Im not getting in there!!!" I told her to get in and shut up  :laugh:

Offline Mila

• Commercial Member
  • Meмber
    • Mila-Interpreter
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 12:39:54 AM »
Hi Beaglerx2,

Have a wonderful trip. If you need any help or advise, please, call me from Kiev, I will be happy to help you out. I have some friends in Kiev, so you can rely on me.

Good luck!

Offline Beaglerx2

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 01:46:38 AM »

-Side question.

Ukraine is like all other countries in the world, sim cards are available. Whether it will work on your phone depends on a number of factors, of which you will already know. Is it unlocked etc...

As it worked out the iphone4 has no place to put a sim so it is limited to wifi activity. My iPad did take a sim and at leas gave me internet in cites or where there was service.

Offline Manny

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 03:50:37 AM »
As it worked out the iphone4 has no place to put a sim so it is limited to wifi activity.

Really?
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 04:19:01 AM »

-Side question.

As it worked out the iphone4 has no place to put a sim so it is limited to wifi activity. My iPad did take a sim and at leas gave me internet in cites or where there was service.
Hmmmm. Theres a clue here...Iphone4.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 05:22:11 AM »

-Side question.

Perhaps you are confusing an iPod with and iPhone. As far as I know all Apple iPhones work only on/with a SIM card. On the 4 and 4S the SIM card is loaded from the top.

In the what it is worth I have seen splashed iPhones in Ukraine. I believe they have the same basic software, but I have never really used one. One can buy new unlocked iPhones 5S 16GB in Kiev for around $350 US and for some $100 to 150 more one can have a 6S. They are sold with a one year Apple warranty.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 06:17:58 AM »
Nope, the bloke is not confused.

Apple phones come in different flavours. The only flavour that uses a SIM card is GSM. CDMA, the most popular network type in the USA, but not in the civilised world, does not use a SIM.

So, most people with an IPhone 4 hailing from the USA will have a phone that does not use a SIM card.

We have been through this before. Beaglerx2 is correct.

Beaglerx, if you need to travel then a phone that uses GSM (and a SIM card) is always the best bet. In the USA that means using AT&T and T-Mobile or one of their network sharers.

More info: CLICK HERE!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2016, 07:16:11 AM »
Nope, the bloke is not confused.

However, you explanation is somewhat inept and inaccurate ...

Apple phones come in different flavours. The only flavour that uses a SIM card is GSM. CDMA, the most popular network type in the USA, but not in the civilised world, does not use a SIM.

Analogue, EDGE, GSM, HSPA, UMTS/LTE and newer standards ALL use SIM cards...... :coffeeread:

The 'civilised' world like Apple products and it is THEY who are trying to drive the market away from the SIM card...

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/192316-apple-sim-and-the-death-of-the-sim-card

So, most people with an IPhone 4 hailing from the USA will have a phone that does not use a SIM card.

I'm not so sure that statement is even true... as a swift check of Q4 subscriber base figures - then checking their network capabilities - would demonstrate. Most CDMA networks will start shutting down within 3-5 years .. Some segment in California will shut down within months ... It's 2G tech..

I'm pretty sure must of us have a least 3G capable phones.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Beaglerx2

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2016, 05:43:58 PM »
I live on the trailing edge of tech innovation.

I tend to run to YouTube to find many answers or how tos..... It showed how to insert the SIM card in the iphone4 and it was then I confirmed I did not have a access port.

Should have brought an older sim card phone that was laying around, not a big deal really. As I mentioned I put the sim card in my iPad and can call any phone through Skype. I keep a few bucks in that account just in case and it has really bailed me out a number of times.
 Even if I were to loose a phone, if I can get a few minutes on a computer or tablet with the skype program I can sign in and call.
  That's exactly how I called back home a number of times already.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2016, 01:32:34 AM »
Here's an answer to your earlier question about Pavel:
Pavel is still around and I have been in contact with him this week. His contact details have changed, however.

His email address is: ukrainian.connection.info@gmail.com

He also has a website:  http://ukrainian-connection.com