The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Taxes for Ukraine  (Read 7158 times)

Offline Gipsy

Taxes for Ukraine
« on: March 07, 2016, 11:08:43 AM »
WOW, have I heard a little "Story" tonight from extended family member in the Ukraine ministery.

Ukraine's lawmakers are "supposedly" putting together a plan to request taxes from Ukrainian women and their partners on monies earned outside of Ukraine.

It may be proposed that income derived ex-Ukraine, should contribute taxes at 13% of annual income from any country outside of the motherland..

IF this moves forward and is accepted, WOW, start contributing all you guys who have a Ukrainian partner/wife.

Proposed punishment for NOT paying, is a large fine, possibly prison, when entering the territory.

Proof of annual earnings must be supplied in the form of a annual tax document from the country of residence..

The little devils in the Rada wish to become richer   :ROFL:
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Taxes for Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 11:18:11 AM »
That'd overturn pretty much any tax treaty to which Ukraine was a signatory and have something of a boomerang effect. I am sure that someone has,  or will,  propose such a thing but it'll not happen.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 11:22:25 AM »
That'd overturn pretty much any tax treaty to which Ukraine was a signatory and have something of a boomerang effect. I am sure that someone has,  or will,  propose such a thing but it'll not happen.

I think that they are trying to implement a copy of the US system for ex-pats..
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »
WOW, have I heard a little "Story" tonight from extended family member in the Ukraine ministery.

Ukraine's lawmakers are "supposedly" putting together a plan to request taxes from Ukrainian women and their partners on monies earned outside of Ukraine.

It may be proposed that income derived ex-Ukraine, should contribute taxes at 13% of annual income from any country outside of the motherland..

IF this moves forward and is accepted, WOW, start contributing all you guys who have a Ukrainian partner/wife.

Proposed punishment for NOT paying, is a large fine, possibly prison, when entering the territory.

Proof of annual earnings must be supplied in the form of a annual tax document from the country of residence..

With the American tax system information from the spouse of the American must also be included. Would this new Ukrainian tax proposal also require information about the income of the American spouse to be included on the tax forms filled out by the Ukrainian spouse?
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 12:18:22 PM »

With the American tax system information from the spouse of the American must also be included. Would this new Ukrainian tax proposal also require information about the income of the American spouse to be included on the tax forms filled out by the Ukrainian spouse?

As far as it was told to me, Yes.. Both incomes..

If only the spouse had an income, then he would also have to pay the proposed tax.

They are desperately gunning for everyone and anyone, as far as I am led to believe..

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 12:26:57 PM »
Let me get this straight. They want to tax an Ukrainian nationals foreign earned income and also said Ukrainian nationals foreign national spouses foreign earned income.
Yeah, right.  :censored:

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 12:28:51 PM »
Don't Ukrainians (officially) have to give up their Ukrainian citizenship on acquisition of another? I know many don't, but if this happens - and I doubt it will, would be an incentive to do it officially.
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 12:31:01 PM »
Don't Ukrainians (officially) have to give up their Ukrainian citizenship on acquisition of another? I know many don't, but if this happens - and I doubt it will, would be an incentive to do it officially.
The official process requires a Presidential sign off on renunciation of citizenship so I doubt it.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 12:39:21 PM »
Let me get this straight. They want to tax an Ukrainian nationals foreign earned income and also said Ukrainian nationals foreign national spouses foreign earned income.

Just the same as the yanks do...

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2016, 12:41:11 PM »

I think that you will find that this will also change in line with EU rules on dual nationality...

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2016, 12:52:10 PM »

I think that you will find that this will also change in line with EU rules on dual nationality...

There are no EU rules on dual nationality, each State has their own. For example UK allows it, Germany doesn't except if the other nationality is EU, and I think the Netherlands doesn't allow it either.
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2016, 01:05:58 PM »

Yes, well, as I say from time to time, "As it turns out, 'Taxation WITH Representation' ain't so great either...."  :coffeeread:

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2016, 01:27:15 PM »

I know the yanks have to pay tax on income earned abroad even if they are not resident in the US but I didnt know their foreign spouses would have to cough up as well. I can understand it if the spouses are earning and residing in the US.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 07:28:42 AM »
What about blokes who've bought their "partners" apartments?  :nod:
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 07:44:38 AM »
What about blokes who've bought their "partners" apartments?  :nod:

Is the apartment in hers, yours, or joint names, whoever's name it is, is responsible for paying the apartment tax which I think is annually.

This is nothing to do with the "proposed" law.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 12:10:54 PM »

Where will that tax money go??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 03:58:29 PM »

I think that they are trying to implement a copy of the US system for ex-pats..

Uncle Sam recreating Ukraine in it own image.......

Its unenforceable though isnt it? They have zero legal reach against non-citizens. And if a woman simply lets her passport expire and enters on her new foreign one, she is then a foreigner surely?

As a big chunk of the country is rebel held, and the bottom bit has returned to Russia, the applicable territory this would apply to is much smaller than once was anyway. Its just a failed state grasping at straws as it declines yet further. Nothing will come of it.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2016, 04:57:11 AM »

Guys, its happened and now officially written into Ukrainian law.

From today, all Ukrainians resident outside of the country must declare their annual household incomes, (including incomes of spouses/partners, children/other family members in the household)(incomes to be included are pensions, social incomes, child/children's support incomes/benefits, housing benefits to name just a few), and pay 15% expatriate rated tax on ex Ukrainian income, to the Ukrainian ministry of finance.

Annually, Ukrainian subjects must declare all of the above, supported by legally recognised documentation issued by the derived income source, along with the Ukrainian official declaration form which will be available online in the near future.

Failure to submit said documentation annually will be met with a fine not to exceed Euro 5,000.

Entry to Ukraine will be with International passport accompanied by verification document supporting successful submission of income, and payment of taxes from income derived ex Ukraine.

Full information will be posted on Ukrainian government official website in the near future.

Proposal accepted into law by Ukraine RADA 01-04-2016.

So there you have it.... tiphat

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2016, 05:19:53 AM »
More good reasons to give up your Ukrainian citizenship if you do not need it.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Wiz

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2016, 05:20:50 AM »
 wrong post...sorry
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2016, 05:31:25 AM »
wrong post...sorry

Mistakes do happen..  :thumbsup:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2016, 05:48:11 AM »
Well, there yer goes. I was wrong, they are THAT daft.

So, enforcement will be at the point of entry into Ukraine. It seems to be household income, so paying tax upon the spouse's income (and any resident family members.

So, who isn't now going to visit Ukraine any time soon then?

OK!
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline sailor291

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2016, 07:15:48 AM »
What about Ukrainian spouse that took U.S. citizenship 14 years ago and has never renewed her Ukrainian passport since?  Are they going to try to make her pay some tax upon entry next time we go to visit?  She never formally gave up her Ukrainian citizenship so kind of makes me wonder what will happen.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2016, 07:19:02 AM »
What about Ukrainian spouse that took U.S. citizenship 14 years ago and has never renewed her Ukrainian passport since?  Are they going to try to make her pay some tax upon entry next time we go to visit?  She never formally gave up her Ukrainian citizenship so kind of makes me wonder what will happen.
Yes, that is exactly what will happen. They will make her pay taxes with a maximum of 5000 dollars.
(unless of course, you think 15% of your gross income over 2015 is less than 5000, and supply the ukrainian gov't with that amount and pay it in advance).
OO===[][]===OO

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2016, 07:19:55 AM »
So, who isn't now going to visit Ukraine any time soon then?
We certainly won't .... If only because my wife's from Crimea and those Crimeans have a habit to dissapear in Ukraine.
OO===[][]===OO

Registration