The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: BBC News: Ukraine pilot Savchenko to make final address in Russian court  (Read 433 times)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Ukraine pilot Savchenko to make final address in Russian court - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35713542

Should be interesting to hear...

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10

The helicopter pilot was tried in a cramped courtroom in the small Russian town of Donetsk, close to the border with Ukraine.

Donetsk is now in Russia according to the BBC or there's another Donetsk?
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online msmoby

The helicopter pilot was tried in a cramped courtroom in the small Russian town of Donetsk, close to the border with Ukraine.

Donetsk is now in Russia according to the BBC or there's another Donetsk?

Yes, there's one in Rostov Oblast ... Donets'k  the first Russian region to the east of the 'border' ...

The commonality is derived from the river Don..the spelling subtly different 

Online msmoby

...and guess what  - no statement from Ms Savchenko was 'allowed'..

''A Ukrainian pilot accused of killing two Russian journalists has vowed to go on hunger strike after being denied a closing statement at her trial.

Nadia Savchenko appeared furious after her statement was refused, despite 90 minutes remaining of what was expected to be her last full day in court.

Summing up, Ms Savchenko's lawyers described the case as a show trial.

She denies directing artillery fire from a Ukrainian volunteer battalion at the Russian journalists in June 2014.
Ms Savchenko has become a heroine in Ukraine where she is a symbol of the country's resistance against Russia. ''

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35713542

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
It would seem that the claim that her statement was denied is not quite true. She was denied the opportunity to make it on that day. The next court session is on the 9th March.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online msmoby

It would seem that the claim that her statement was denied is not quite true. She was denied the opportunity to make it on that day. The next court session is on the 9th March.

'That day' kept getting put back...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35760985

The young 'lady's' actions and statement hardly read like that of someone who would 'dress up as a refugee' and be 'captured trying to enter Russia in disguise' .. :coffeeread:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
However, what we can see is that the 'report' and your claim were both untrue.

The report's central claim was untrue because it made a claim that was contrary to the reported facts. Your claim was untrue as a result. However, it only took a read of the 'report' to know that what was claimed was not correct.

Now, as we are aware, you ain't the smartest bloke in any room with more than one person but I am sure that even you understood what you originally read and understood that the claim made was inaccurate and purposefully so.

Why do you insist on posting stuff that you know to be untrue?

As to what she said; in essence: I am innocent, it wasn't me, you are a bunch of c**ts.
Did anyone expect her to say anything else? Did she add anything to the sum total of human knowledge?
Of course not!
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
I don't know if Russia does trial-by-jury , but if they do miss Savchenko is playing right into a guilty verdict.

The prosecution say she spotted for the Ukrainian army because of hating all Russians.

Her "show" definately reinforces that idea, showing up in traditional ukrainian dress, speaking Ukrainian and not being respectful to the law of Russia.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
No, not a jury trial. Is a panel of judges similar to many European courts. For sure though, she was not making a strong case for 'not guilty'.

She is aware that she is now a political football and her only value to her keepers is any potential for embarrassment she might cause. I had thought, when she decide to not drink the other day that she intended to make a show of suicide. As we now know that was just a gesture and she is fasting but drinking. She will not, under normal conditions, die before the verdict is in. Had she stuck to her guns she probably would have done.

The Russians have her bang to rights and will sentence her accordingly.

Online msmoby

Why do you insist on posting stuff that you know to be untrue?

You must be addressing your mirror... again ... sighs..

I note you

1/ ignored my point about Ms Savchenko ended up in Russia for her show trial ..

2/ failed to comment on the fact that most observing nations are following the antics of 'justice' with considerable unease ...

That Ms Savchenko dislikes her captors - who have been involved in away games in her nation - and clearly whisked her - illegally from Ukraine renders the 'trial' and any finding of 'guilt' a farce.

The 'truth' is the last result a rational person can expect