The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Question about a Russian dating and Russian divorce rates...  (Read 1025 times)

Offline redfeather

Question about a Russian dating and Russian divorce rates...
« on: March 02, 2016, 09:47:37 PM »
A quick background on myself.  I am a retired Army Colonel, and when I returned from deployments in 2011 my wife divorced me.  I have become very cautious of dating women in Texas and the USA because it is difficult to find a woman over 40 years old that does not have 2-3 divorces under her belt.  Women in America are constantly hammering their husbands with frivolous divorces and getting awarded cash and prizes in the process.  I am interested in women from Russia, but I am curious about the rate of divorce in Russia?  Is it as bad as America?  What I am trying to prevent is wasting a lot of time on Russian women only to find out their rates of divorce is close to the USA.  Also, by dating a Russian woman I am looking for women who view marriage as sacred and have a more traditional view of marriage, and I know that this may not be possible.  Any feedback from you Russia vets is much appreciated.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Question about a Russian dating and Russian divorce rates...
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 10:42:18 PM »
Divorce rates in Russia are very similar to the USA. Headline figure is about 50% as I recall.

If you concentrate your thoughts upon negative outcomes then that's what you will find.

Are you ready for a new marriage?

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Slumba

• 10:27 AM
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 11:40:35 PM »
The rate seems to be about the same.  Of course it all depends on the person.

Are you looking for a very young one?  Do you want to have children?  Are you OK with a woman with a kid? Are there certain physical or facial characteristics that matter to you (e.g. blue eyed blonde, or nice legs, or ...)?

These are all questions you have to answer for yourself. If you think about it and then post a little more about what you are looking for, you will get suggestions.
Anchors Rewoven

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2016, 12:06:24 AM »
If you forget about Dolly birds, young beauty queens, cat walk models and the likes and concentrate on women in a realistic age group it will save you lots of time and you will be part of the way there :)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2016, 12:09:26 AM »
http://divorceinrussia.com/russian-divorce-statistics/
''Russia was rated the top divorcing nation by the UN closely followed by Belarus, Ukraine, Moldova. In modern Russia more than every second marriage fails.''

Wiki suggests the USA has a higher rate of divorce..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divorce_demography

That's stats for you - you can find the answer to upport your stance on the net

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2016, 01:01:55 AM »
It also depends on the reasons for Divorce. I assume with our OP, that the women dislike that he is gone long time from home because of work (army).

RW have a great respect for military personell. Divorces in Russia are mostly linked to Domestic-Violence and Alcohol abuse.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Manny

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2016, 01:16:20 AM »
Divorces in Russia are mostly linked to Domestic-Violence and Alcohol abuse.

And the fact that many marry very young.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2016, 01:58:10 AM »

Not so much these days. Average age at first marriage, for women, was, a few years ago, around 27 years of age. A very rapid increase.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2016, 02:07:49 AM »
There is probably a lower divorce rate in Western Europe than Russia probably because society has changed a lot even over the last 30 years. People do not rush to marry any more and many do not even bother, living together is easier today. When I was married before my ex wife's parents were very old fashioned and kept nagging all the time about us not being married yet having two kids..My sister has two grown up kids and has been with her partner 30 years and still not married.
Its the only reason I got married really nagging in laws  :laugh:

I guess some time in the near future the same trend will happen and I guess when that happens divorce rates in Russia will also go down, because there will not be so many marriages and those that do marry will be at an older age just like the rest of the world..

So I wouldn't waste time with figures from here or there! They mean nothing really..

Online msmoby

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2016, 02:26:13 AM »

Not so much these days. Average age at first marriage, for women, was, a few years ago, around 27 years of age. A very rapid increase.

According to the site - quoting Rosstat - the dramatic age increase started in the period 1980-2000

''the numbers of Russians who choose to marry later have been growing constantly since 1980, it was the 20-year-period between 1980 and 2000 that saw the most dramatic changes, with the number of women tying the knot between the ages of 18-24 falling by half in the two decades sandwiching the collapse of the Soviet Union. This is significant as it indicates that the trend toward postponing marriage had already begun prior to the fall of the USSR.''

http://rbth.com/society/2014/11/25/marriage_no_thanks_im_too_busy_why_russians_are_delaying_tying_the_kn_41673.html

According to the article..it was the MEN marrying aged 18-24 that tell drastically after 2000..

''Since 2000, however, the number of men marrying at 18-24 has continued to fall dramatically, by a further 25 percent, while the statistics for women show signs of beginning to level out, with the number of brides in the same age group declining by 10 percent.''

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2016, 03:51:37 AM »
I remember that people got married simply to get out of cramped apartments. Before that, of course, they married to be able to put their names on a waiting list.

Nowadays those imperatives are gone making marriage more of a social choice than a housing choice.

First marriage age is now very similar to the US and Western Europe.

However, for the OP, none of this maters because each marriage belongs to the two people in it. It does not matter what the divorce rate is in any part of the world. His responsibility is to make good choices and to build a good relationship.

My guess, based upon his expressed concerns, is that he is not ready for a long term relationship.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2016, 03:57:08 AM »
I wonder how it works for some arabs who have several wives  :laugh: Do they divorce the whole lot in one big go or just one at a time ;D 
I have seen a few walking around London, Once saw some guy in the metro with three wives taking photos, they never looked particularly happy..

Online Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2016, 04:12:23 AM »
I wonder how it works for some arabs who have several wives  :laugh: Do they divorce the whole lot in one big go or just one at a time ;D 
I have seen a few walking around London, Once saw some guy in the metro with three wives taking photos, they never looked particularly happy..

There's the Talaq! To divorce your Muslim wife you just say 'I divorce thee' three times.

Sounds good really. Except in it's not even valid in most muslim states, let alone UK, just a religious thing. For example in Pakistan divorce still has to go through the Union Council in a similar way to Crown Court here.

This three wives thing (or is it four?) isn't like you think, they don't all like live in the same environment, they have to have separate living quarters etc, and I think I remember reading the existing wives have to agree to an additional one, so it's rare you'd ever see the bloke with all wives in tow, the ones you saw were prolly sisters or older kids.
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2016, 06:16:23 AM »

2 Weeks ago, there was a newsitem about a muslim man who divorced all 4 of his wives in court and married 4 new ones the same day!
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline redfeather

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »
Okay team,
This is all great info, and I appreciate the reply's.  I am not looking for the young catwalk model type.  I am looking for a normal woman between the age of 40 to 50 years old.  If she had one child that would be okay.  I lean more towards women that are not super hot because I do not want the woman to divorce me.  I have been dating in Texas for 4 years now, but I am just not happy with the women's attitude towards divorce because I am going to protect myself against all costs this time.  Thanks for the feedback.