The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Traveling with child back home to Ukraine  (Read 736 times)

Offline mcb885

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
Traveling with child back home to Ukraine
« on: February 27, 2016, 12:00:14 PM »
Hello all!  Been a minute since I have been on here.  All is well with the 2.5 year marriage. We didn't wait long to have a son.  He's 21 months.  I had a question:  our son carries my last name and my wife still carries her Ukraine last name.  My son has a US passport and my wife her Ukraine passport. Is it going to be an issue for him going with her to Ukraine?  Any issues with getting through airport security?  Been calling around haven't found anyone that can precisely answer this.  I was going to do a sworn affidavit stating I allow them to go and return and have her bring our marriage license and my sons birth certificate.  She also has her temporary green card, her Ssn card, and a drivers license.  Any info would help.  Thanks, Matt

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Traveling with child back home to Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2016, 01:36:11 PM »
If your son has ukrainian citizenship and is listed in her ukrainian passport you won't have any problems.

If these prerequisites are missing, it will be a problem.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Texan77

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2016, 01:46:15 PM »
Hello all!  Been a minute since I have been on here.  All is well with the 2.5 year marriage. We didn't wait long to have a son.  He's 21 months.  I had a question:  our son carries my last name and my wife still carries her Ukraine last name.  My son has a US passport and my wife her Ukraine passport. Is it going to be an issue for him going with her to Ukraine?  Any issues with getting through airport security?  Been calling around haven't found anyone that can precisely answer this.  I was going to do a sworn affidavit stating I allow them to go and return and have her bring our marriage license and my sons birth certificate.  She also has her temporary green card, her Ssn card, and a drivers license.  Any info would help.  Thanks, Matt

I can not see where you would possibly have a problem with the Ukraine government. Your son is an America and your wife has a green card to live in the US. Your wife is taking son home to show family. I think you more than have it covered.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 02:02:50 PM »
I can not see where you would possibly have a problem with the Ukraine government. Your son is an America and your wife has a green card to live in the US. Your wife is taking son home to show family. I think you more than have it covered.
Ukraine implemented the anti-child-abduction act treaty.

This means that if you are traveling without dad in a mixed-nationality family, it will have to be abundantly clear that daddy gave permission to travel.

Offline mcb885

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2016, 04:57:33 PM »
My son has an American passport but is not on her Ukrainian passport

Online Texan77

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2016, 05:51:02 PM »
My girl told me that last summer that they stop putting the children on the mother's passport. She said all the children now need their own passport. But why don't you write the Ukraine consulate in the USA. None of us are Ukrainian immigration experts. I know of what Markje is saying. That for us to take her child out of the country we need the dad to sign off. In her case the father never claimed the child as being his so it shows no father on the child's birth certificate. Then she has to sign a few extra papers and I understand we can go.

You have given your wife permission to travel in a sworn document. If it is the right type I still think you will not have any problem. I do not believe they will put your child on her passport unless they consider your child a Ukrainian citizen if they are even doing that any more. 

Online Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2016, 02:29:48 AM »
No problem here. My wife has travelled to Ukraine with our baby son who has a British passport and has not encountered any problem whatsoever.
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2016, 02:55:15 AM »
No problem here. My wife has travelled to Ukraine with our baby son who has a British passport and has not encountered any problem whatsoever.

My wife did have a problem, but she has a Dutch, Russian passport without my son and a Ukrainian with my son (thats invalid, cause she renounced ukrainian citizenship).

My son travels on his own Passport with Dutch/Ukrainian citizenship. He will gain Russian in the next few months, but has to choose to keep 1 when 18.

He is also a lot older of course, 5yo now and not a baby.

Online Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2016, 06:02:23 AM »

My wife did have a problem, but she has a Dutch, Russian passport without my son and a Ukrainian with my son (thats invalid, cause she renounced ukrainian citizenship).

My son travels on his own Passport with Dutch/Ukrainian citizenship. He will gain Russian in the next few months, but has to choose to keep 1 when 18.

:chuckle: no blinking wonder she had problems. Just imagine the border guard when confronted with that  scenario.
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2016, 11:16:38 AM »

:chuckle: no blinking wonder she had problems. Just imagine the border guard when confronted with that  scenario.

Well, she did manage it.

The Ukrainian identity of my son meant he can get in Russia without visa (proved by my wife's ukrainian passport / invalid) and she herself used her Russian passport of course. My son's dutch passport was proof he could travel without me.

It helps that she knows the laws inside-out on the basic stuff.

Mark.