The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: 97 Buildings Were Torn Down in Central Moscow Overnight (Photos)  (Read 2457 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
The Kremlin knows how to get things done.  :chuckle:

97 Buildings Were Torn Down in Central Moscow Overnight (Photos)

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/97-buildings-were-torn-down-central-moscow-overnight-photos/ri12764
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: 97 Buildings Were Torn Down in Central Moscow Overnight (Photos)
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 11:51:26 AM »
Not the Kremlin but the mayor's office.

It looks as though there were a few folks occupying those shops who did not think anything was actually going to happen.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 12:16:33 PM »
How could all of these buildings have gone up without fees and bribes being paid? These sites aren't some type of tent cities. These are concrete and steel buildings. They couldn't have been built and occupied over the course of months without the city knowing it.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 11:05:23 PM »
WestCoast - you already know the answer: Russia is an inferior civilization and you are superior. Duh!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 11:07:23 PM »
I'can't find this mentioned on RT or RI - who 'question more' or provide 'true news' about Russia  :coffeeread:

searched under 'kiosk'

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/moscow-sees-large-scale-overnight-kiosk-demolition/559096.html

Moscow Sees Large-Scale Overnight Kiosk Demolition

I find this interesting ..A Court ruled the legal status of constructions on the hit list  and one of the first chosen was a charity soup kitchen - that claims it has all legal documentation and was given two hours to vacate 

The mayor is an unelected appointee of the President .....Now, it may be BE that the Kiosks don't have legal planning permission - but is this another example of how things 'get done' in modern Russia  ?

When Putin's press secretary got peed off with his 600k watch being in the news - how he had acquired it on  his meagre salary - he suggested 'going to Court'...Can any one correct me - point out when there was a hearing - with witnesses and dispositions from both sides - that over-ruled the Jan Court ruling... ?  :coffeeread:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35535139

Naturally, Western media picked up on the story ..

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 01:20:42 AM »
How could all of these buildings have gone up without fees and bribes being paid? These sites aren't some type of tent cities. These are concrete and steel buildings. They couldn't have been built and occupied over the course of months without the city knowing it.

If I understand correctly, the buildings were all there with the right permits and regulations.

Before they were torn down, the owners even won a court-case and the city tore them down anyway.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 01:33:08 AM »
WestCoast - you already know the answer: Russia is an inferior civilization

Russia is a corrupt country.

and you are superior. Duh!

Superior to you, yes.

andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 02:11:07 AM »

Superior to you, yes.

Who are you kidding Mr comfy armchair?
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 02:49:50 AM »

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/97-buildings-were-torn-down-central-moscow-overnight-photos/ri12764

This was Chistye Prudy last Jun, taken my me! Just shows, don't buy property in Russia, could come home to a pile of rubble!

ila_rendered
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 02:59:28 AM »
I tried  to search under kiosk on RT and RI this morning and turned up nothing

1/ there was a Court case in JAN '16 which ruled in favour of the ...kiosks... :

2/ The mayor is one of Putin's unelected servants..

coffeeread:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/moscow-sees-large-scale-overnight-kiosk-demolition/559096.html

''Alexei Voronin, the commercial director of the shopping center, said that an arbitration court confirmed the legal status of the building in January, Russkaya Sluzhba Novostei reported.''

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2016, 03:28:14 AM »
This has been one of Sobyanin's projects since the time he took over the Mayorship for Luzhkov a few years ago. This "destruction" is nothing new.

I must admit I wasn't that happy with it at first because many of the kiosks and small shops made it convenient to pick up a few necessities on your way home (like fruits and veggies for example) without veering one step out of your path. But, let's be truthful here, most, if not all were an eyesore.

Sobyanin has been renovating Moscow from day one, and I for one, really like the changes he has made. Certain areas like Kitai Gorod, Tealtralnaya, Lubyanka, and Kuznetski Most, just to name a few look as nice or nicer than many European cities I've been to.

Luzhkov and his wife were a disaster. This Soviet relic let his wife run amok (she is/was a billionaire building contractor made rich by her husband) in Moscow, and the results were horrendous.

Yes, it's unfortunate that the people running these businesses will suffer because of it.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2016, 03:51:34 AM »

This was Chistye Prudy last Jun, taken my me! Just shows, don't buy property in Russia, could come home to a pile of rubble!

(Attachment Link)

(:)

Ste, I know you're a facetious bugger, but let's not get carried away. No one is living in the places they're tearing down.

Buying real estate at this time in Moscow is a good investment IMO.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016, 04:05:46 AM »
Dan, do you know what the 'legal' situation was?

How did these people come to have the right to build and run these shops? How did those rights come to then be set aside?

And, yes, from what I have seen, these types of development, not just in Moscow and not just in Russia, tend to be an excrescence upon the local landscape but if the people had permits to build and operate then removing them seems to be, shall we say, problematic.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2016, 04:33:22 AM »
The legal situation was legit, but how it was explained to me was that this is simply "the new reality" in Moscow, and Sobyanin is a very powerful guy. And since it's a rather new precedence, things should become clearer after more of the facts shake out. The situation is still too new to know for sure what happens next.

In the past, the permits would have held up; obviously, that has changed.

After talking to a couple of well-connected lawyer friends, they basically said that compensation will be made to any tenant who files a lawsuit against the city (something they say they would recommend if they represented any business owner). What that compensation is, is anyone's guess, and I'm sure based on one's representation.   

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »
I tried  to search under kiosk on RT and RI this morning and turned up nothing

1/ there was a Court case in JAN '16 which ruled in favour of the ...kiosks... :

2/ The mayor is one of Putin's unelected servants..

coffeeread:

''Alexei Voronin, the commercial director of the shopping center, said that an arbitration court confirmed the legal status of the building in January, Russkaya Sluzhba Novostei reported.''

Oh Buoy Moby Dearie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_mayoral_election,_2013

;D
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2016, 10:31:27 AM »
Oho....

Moby admits he got it WRONG....

The Major is still one of Putin's cronies..

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2016, 10:33:23 AM »

Superior to you, yes.

Westy - why don't you join a forum more relevant to your interests like an anti Russian site or Asian adventures etc? I have no idea why you spend your life on here, henpecking away at cultures you obviously despise.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2016, 10:49:53 AM »
From what I have seen, there's a mixture of events and proceedings.

1) In at least one case a series of 9 kiosk structures that were subject to a Moscow court injunction against demolition had 3 demolished.

2) In 2015 a Moscow law was enacted that made it possible for city authorities to demolish such structures where they interfered with utilities - a situation that many of these constructions were in.

3) Notices that these demolitions had been given to all affected businesses (not homes Ste!) and any business that availed itself of the opportunity to waive objections to the demolition are eligible for compensation from the city government. No businesses had taken advantage of this before the current round of demolitions. As there are many more structures under threat it is my guess that some businesses will now take advantage of this offer.

4) There had been a court case started by some business owners. Some of those structures have not been demolished, others have - apparently under the overarching authority noted in point (2) above.

5) Most of these erections had been given permission as temporary buildings back in the mid 90's. The owners have, over the years, converted them into permanent buildings - that was not the intent of the permissions and the current situation is not that envisaged back in the 90's.

6) Some building owners have entered their buildings as capital objects in the real estate cadaster (records) and they have been treated as such since that happened. The authorities will point out that this should not have happened and that the registrations were not legitimate. I guess that legitimacy can not be guaranteed when vyatka has been paid or blat called in. ;)

The interesting question now is what happens after this program of demolition. Will these spaces remain as part of the Moscow public space or will they be redeveloped as new, and high price, retail and service outlets.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2016, 10:59:00 AM »
From what I have seen, there's a mixture of events and proceedings.

1) In at least one case a series of 9 kiosk structures that were subject to a Moscow court injunction against demolition had 3 demolished.

2) In 2015 a Moscow law was enacted that made it possible for city authorities to demolish such structures where they interfered with utilities - a situation that many of these constructions were in.

3) Notices that these demolitions had been given to all affected businesses (not homes Ste!) and any business that availed itself of the opportunity to waive objections to the demolition are eligible for compensation from the city government. No businesses had taken advantage of this before the current round of demolitions. As there are many more structures under threat it is my guess that some businesses will now take advantage of this offer.

4) There had been a court case started by some business owners. Some of those structures have not been demolished, others have - apparently under the overarching authority noted in point (2) above.

5) Most of these erections had been given permission as temporary buildings back in the mid 90's. The owners have, over the years, converted them into permanent buildings - that was not the intent of the permissions and the current situation is not that envisaged back in the 90's.

6) Some building owners have entered their buildings as capital objects in the real estate cadaster (records) and they have been treated as such since that happened. The authorities will point out that this should not have happened and that the registrations were not legitimate. I guess that legitimacy can not be guaranteed when vyatka has been paid or blat called in. ;)

The interesting question now is what happens after this program of demolition. Will these spaces remain as part of the Moscow public space or will they be redeveloped as new, and high price, retail and service outlets.

I would suggest that the Land ownership is also an important factor, from reports that I have read, the land upon which the majority of these buildings are/were stood, belongs to city Moscow, and no lease agreements with the city were/are in force.

Should this be proven, then the owners of the building razed/to be razed, will really not have a "Leg to stand on".
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2016, 11:08:00 AM »
Gipsy, one thing of which I am absolutely sure: there will be several layers of legal and legitimate justification for this, and the upcoming actions.

This move did not occur in a vacuum and the current big boss, whilst not directly responsible, is an absolute stickler for the letter of the law.

Offline Manny

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 10:39:37 AM »
I'can't find this mentioned on RT or RI - who 'question more' or provide 'true news' about Russia  :coffeeread:

searched under 'kiosk'

Search harder next time, this is very old news:

https://www.rt.com/business/food-kiosks-to-be-erased-from-moscows-map/

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,8828.msg124814.html#msg124814

Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 10:42:20 AM »
So, now you doubt my ability to put the word 'kiosk' in RI and click search...))

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2016, 10:47:35 AM »
So, now you doubt my ability to put the word 'kiosk' in RI and click search...))

Which part of the subject on RT you said didn't exist that I showed you does is complex for you?

Moby admits he got it WRONG....

Why not put this in your signature.  :coffeeread:
Trip Reports: Links to my travels in Russia, Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, China and the US are >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2016, 04:36:39 AM »
Sorry for the delayed response, but...

Sobyanin is one of Putin's boys, the orders are from him, with Putin's blessings I'm sure. Step by step the city has been undergoing a facelift.

It should be noted that the small underground shops close to many metro stations have been going the same route over the last couple of years. Most shops and kiosks above and below ground have been removed or demolished from what I have seen, with the exception of a few stations here and there. I imagine it’s only a matter of time before all are a distant memory. 

My station (about 3-4 km from Chistye Prudy) used to have around 20-25 small shops underground, and about 5-6 above ground near the station and 5 across the street near my apartment building. All but 2 located next to the metro station are gone, and the area renovated. And like the article said, a couple of vending machines have replaced the underground shops.

They demolished the buildings at my station as well, but it didn't receive the same publicity because there weren't 97 of them above ground, only 6.

There will be legal ramifications, but I seriously doubt anyone in the Mayor’s office is worried. Even in victory, the payout will be at best inconsistent with the reality of the situation, again depending. One thing for sure; these buildings are not coming back. The area around Chistye Purdy will be renovated like the other aforementioned areas (if anyone knows this area, it's a super area with huge potential for new and upgraded businesses). 

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2016, 06:02:12 AM »
Thanks for the update, no surprises then