The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: What new car would you buy  (Read 4937 times)

Offline Gipsy

What new car would you buy
« on: February 07, 2016, 02:51:52 AM »
Later this year, my current car will be 3 years old, normally at the 2 year stage, I would change, but liked this on so much even though its rear wheel drive, that decided to keep it for another year.

Rule is that the new car should be a 4x4 crossover/jeep, with a lot of room in the back/boot, high degree of comfort, all the latest gadgets, and powerful.

Was thing of this,

http://cdn2.autoexpress.co.uk/sites/autoexpressuk/files/styles/gallery_adv/public/7/35/jaguar_fpace_le_s_studio-02_0.jpg?itok=IjavdZon

Would also love this, but a little too much  :money:

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/wwfeatures/624_351/images/live/p0/3h/mw/p03hmw67.jpg

Which vehicle would you, the reader, recommend??
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: What new car would you buy
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 03:41:26 AM »
1st car in that colour!

Job done!
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 03:58:28 AM »
I wouldn't BUY a  new car .. Let someone else take the huge depreciation knock and buy one with a remaining manufacturers warranty...  not that any one in my immediate family listen... :chuckle:

The new Jag SUV is the 'poor man's' Evoque - largely the same mechanicals -[ diesel] and the new 2.0 diesel is super economic ...

I think it looks better - the Evoque looks like an Elephant sat on the back of the roof to take a rest.

I think it is better to have a car for fun and one you don't care about scratching / towing garden waste to the tip..   In Russia - with petrol prices as they are - one can be 'silly' and order BIG engines ...

I'm waiting for someone to sell their Tesla Model S at a sensible price ...

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 03:59:39 AM »
Why change?

Do cars magically transform on their 3rd anniversary into rusty piles of mechanical clatrappery.
Answer: no they don't.

I know that the road system in Russia is such that the life expectancy for the running gear for less robust cars is less than in some parts of western Europe but a well maintained vehicle is always going to be less expensive than purchasing new.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 04:32:14 AM »

If its too small, you can also take a larger model.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 04:33:06 AM »
When my wife gets her drivers license, she'll get one of these:

You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 05:12:01 AM »
Why change?

Do cars magically transform on their 3rd anniversary into rusty piles of mechanical clatrappery.
Answer: no they don't.

I know that the road system in Russia is such that the life expectancy for the running gear for less robust cars is less than in some parts of western Europe but a well maintained vehicle is always going to be less expensive than purchasing new.

I like to change my cars when the warranty expires, have done since I started working, and see no reason to change now.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 05:14:11 AM »

Very much an outdated range from BMW, and little place in the baggage compartment.

Friend of mine has a new X6, he's had it back to the dealers several times since new.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 05:18:48 AM »
I wouldn't BUY a  new car .. Let someone else take the huge depreciation knock and buy one with a remaining manufacturers warranty...  not that any one in my immediate family listen... :chuckle:

The new Jag SUV is the 'poor man's' Evoque - largely the same mechanicals -[ diesel] and the new 2.0 diesel is super economic ...

I think it looks better - the Evoque looks like an Elephant sat on the back of the roof to take a rest.

I think it is better to have a car for fun and one you don't care about scratching / towing garden waste to the tip..   In Russia - with petrol prices as they are - one can be 'silly' and order BIG engines ...

I'm waiting for someone to sell their Tesla Model S at a sensible price ...

Write up state that its much much better and better kitted out than the Evogue, also comes with a more powerful engine range..

Don't do diesels..

Electric cars in Russia would be ok for someone who never leaves the city limits, but trying to drive 1,200-1,400 km in a day on the roads take between 12 - 20hrs, in a petrol jobbie, and electric model would never be able to complete much more than 350km without needing a fairly long stop for a recharge.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 05:19:57 AM »
1st car in that colour!

Job done!

It is a nice colour....   :thumbsup:

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 05:23:05 AM »
Tesla don't even try to sell in Russia.. !)

I think it won't be long until faster charging batteries mean stopping to charge will be like filling up.

Offline Danchik

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 05:27:19 AM »
Buy the one that feels the most comfortable to you since we're not talking a big difference in options.

I wouldn't discount diesel's so fast as they're making them much better these days. I held the same belief in diesel's until I took a ride in my friend's new VW Touareg turbo-diesel V6. I was impressed.

When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 07:14:13 AM »
The Jag suv looks very similar to my last car a Volvo XC60 R Design. A great car and the new version is even better. After selling that 3 years ago I ordered a brand new Evoque to.my own spec and I am happy to say have had 3 years completely trouble free motoring with it.

It's 3 years old this May so I will be looking to either get another or maybe something else.  But if something different the Evoque will take some beating, so it's a hard choice.

PS my last 4 or 5 cars have all been diesels, the engines are much better these days than they used to be and in the case of the Evoque they are pretty rapid and no turbo lag.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2016, 07:22:21 AM »

Very much an outdated range from BMW, and little place in the baggage compartment.

Friend of mine has a new X6, he's had it back to the dealers several times since new.

Were buying an X6 this year, not brand new 2/3 years old Though I will not be seeing much of it,  ;D
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2016, 07:39:48 AM »

Were buying an X6 this year, not brand new 2/3 years old Though I will not be seeing much of it,  ;D

I test drove a new X6 about 6 years ago just before getting my XC60. Hated it. Very low headroom in the back,  only 2 seats and very dark and depressing internally