The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Temporarily Moving to Russia?  (Read 6703 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Temporarily Moving to Russia?
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2016, 03:48:36 PM »

He was just bullshitting again...

My adding a zero was 'bullshitting'...?! The adjective was possibly careless....but it is kind of hard to check ones posts in bright sunlight...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2016, 04:14:13 PM »

I must have missed other posters trying to present a comprehensive budget to compare..

You did.

You could "page back" for a reference.

I took your advice....looked back two pages...I brought up the budget costs on THIS thread..

Btw, have you ever lived in, and experienced the joys and costs of Izhevsk??

Lived.. no..

As I have stated on two previous occasions on here... your 'lurking' cannot have been too diligent... I know someone from there... We are in regular contact...  My figures for apts. came from that source..

The clue was concerning knowing folk who work/ worked for state run oil / gas firms.... which you also 'questioned' as I was pointing out follk were losing their jobs...and you were trying to paint a picture of rosiness..

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2016, 09:16:20 PM »
I knew Moby typoed. I subtracted a zero. Rent wouldn't be an issue, she owns her place free and clear so it's just the utilities, groceries and comforts. She is earning less than the amount I quoted and doing okay.  Of course I am an extra mouth to feed, which is why it is good I would be earning more. I am not trying to save her by becoming rich in Russia. I am planning for a situation where we can pass our time modestly and comfortably waiting for the Canadian immigration process. Any you guys spent much time in Izhevsk?

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2016, 11:31:19 PM »

Which pre sanctions used to swap for the same as the Rouble to the £.

?? HUH...

I'm not of the opinon that sanctions are anything like the damaging factor that low oil prices and the over reliance on resources sales ..

Just for you Moby:

2 years ago the Bhat was exchanging to the £ around 50, as was the Rouble.

I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2016, 12:07:07 AM »
I knew Moby typoed. I subtracted a zero. Rent wouldn't be an issue, she owns her place free and clear so it's just the utilities, groceries and comforts. She is earning less than the amount I quoted and doing okay.  Of course I am an extra mouth to feed, which is why it is good I would be earning more. I am not trying to save her by becoming rich in Russia. I am planning for a situation where we can pass our time modestly and comfortably waiting for the Canadian immigration process. Any you guys spent much time in Izhevsk?

Jerash, if you are earning in Russia and decide you make a go of it .... won't your low wage earning capacity - taken in CDN Dollars - have a negative impact on any application  ? Is there a minimum salary target  in Canada ?

I've never actually been to Udmurt ..just know someone from there who has family in SPb and likes to explore interesting places in w.Europe

Just for you Moby:

2 years ago the Bhat was exchanging to the £ around 50, as was the Rouble.

I'm trying not to pollute the OP's thread ..I was referring to you believing that sanctions were  responsible for the rouble fall ..

As SC keeps reminding how the Rouble and Bhat were near parity and now the Rouble's worth less than half ['where'sall the Russians  ?.]...I think I might know. :coffeeread:

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2016, 12:57:11 AM »

I must have missed other posters trying to present a comprehensive budget to compare..

You did.

You could "page back" for a reference.

I took your advice....looked back two pages...I brought up the budget costs on THIS thread..

Btw, have you ever lived in, and experienced the joys and costs of Izhevsk??

Lived.. no..

As I have stated on two previous occasions on here... your 'lurking' cannot have been too diligent... I know someone from there... We are in regular contact...  My figures for apts. came from that source..

The clue was concerning knowing folk who work/ worked for state run oil / gas firms.... which you also 'questioned' as I was pointing out follk were losing their jobs...and you were trying to paint a picture of rosiness..

Actual costs for Izhevsk, central apartment.

property maintenance -10.30r/m2.
central heating- 28.9r/m2
cold water 29.03r/m3
hot 130.27r/m3
sewage 30.17r/m3
rubbish 45r per registered person
electricity 3.04r/kw (Day tariff)
electricity 1.98r/kw (Night tariff)
gas 58.3r/therm.
Property rental from 210r/m2 (Un-renovated property)
Property rental from 283r/m2 (Remont property)

I have never stated that everything in the garden of Russia is rosy, I have always used facts.
One day, you will learn, that, there are NO rosy gardens in this world, some gardens are better, some are worse, but taken on par, they are all the same.

Russia has the same problems as many other countries, Lack of required skills/education/qualifications, for the jobs available.
Izhevsk is no different, many have become unemployed by improved technology, removal of soviet era employment laws, and the economic pressures to remove waste in all businesses.
Unemployment level there is quiet low in comparison to the state levels at 3.6% (Oct2015), many of which would be classed as "unemployable", "Un-educated", "Alcoholics/drug users", (in my opinion).

You are always trying to paint Russia, as the "Big Bad Wolf", why I don't know, as you claim to live in the country for 6 months/year, and at times, you, maybe on purpose, deliberately take opinions rather than facts, possibly also lies, to support your pretence of being a knowledgeable and experienced person.

In all these years that I have "Known" you, you have never changed, and I doubt that you ever will.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2016, 12:59:16 AM »

He was just bullshitting again...

My adding a zero was 'bullshitting'...?! The adjective was possibly careless....but it is kind of hard to check ones posts in bright sunlight...

Not careless, just manipulation of the truth.

Bright sunlight my arse, any old excuse.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2016, 01:09:11 AM »
Your time on this planet will probably be about 10 billion years , most of that time you will be dead and buried  :( For some strange reason we only get to live about 70/90 years of life!
So best take every opportunity to do exactly what you want in life, I would start planning now :)
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2016, 01:13:50 AM »
Wow, thats expensive!

I think I'm paying 5r/kw (daytime) and I am living in NL.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2016, 01:33:03 AM »

For food, I would recommend the "Kotlet" bar, good inexpensive food, goes well with a bottle of red.
Blini bistro, also nice and cheap, and there is another bistro who's mane I cannot remember, also good.
Best club I found was pyatnitza, good pool tables there also.

Things to do, well, its got a lovely park, just right for a spot of fresh air, and for kids, there are several really nice churches/cathedral worthy of a visit iMHO.

During the summer, walking in the surrounding "nature" and shashlik is a must, along with mushrooming in late summer, and good skiing/snowboarding/sledging during the winter.

I would suggest that you make an appointment to meet the dean at the Udmurt state uni, and get a walk around, if you explain your situation to him, I think that he may possibly give you some sound advice and help.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2016, 01:45:44 AM »
Wow, thats expensive!

Its the info that I was given, but I noticed that its also much more than I am paying, I have no explanation as to why, unless its a typo... :chuckle:
Anyway, its less than you are paying.  :money:
You pay 5cents/kw, that's very little, I don't know 100% what the cost of electric is in the UK these days offhand, but I suspect that its much more than that.
Maybe I can get some up to date help here/?

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2016, 01:47:31 AM »
Wow, thats expensive!

:ROFL:

Think about it, at least you are getting electric, Crimea is rationed..

;D

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2016, 04:37:14 AM »
A representative cost for UK electricity might be 15p per kilowatt hour.

Fun page here:https://www.ukpower.co.uk/tools/running_costs_electricity
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2016, 07:54:20 AM »

;D
Thats right,

Evpatoria cycled again last sunday to the new schedule,

now my MIL has no electricity from 6-8 am and from 6-8 pm... ergo, when most people want electricity !!!
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2016, 08:03:45 AM »

;D
Thats right,

Evpatoria cycled again last sunday to the new schedule,

now my MIL has no electricity from 6-8 am and from 6-8 pm... ergo, when most people want electricity !!!

You should look at the positive side, at least she is saving money.

Don't worry, there is a distinct possibility of the next cable being completed by the end of Feb..
That's as long as the uprating of the sub-stations etc, is also completed.

Offline MBS01

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2016, 10:27:05 AM »
Jerash:
One question that you have not asked, but is very important!  Once your future wife's sponsorship has been processed will you be able to provide the CRA documents that you have "Canadian Income" at that time which meets the criteria to in fact provide for your new family here in Canada?  This is very important.

Case in point: Rvrwind from Alberta after spending about 5 years living in Russia as others have suggested with his wife (we were at their wedding in Russia too) found he had to return to Canada and re-establish himself for at least 6 months before he was in a position to provide documents that in fact he met the CIC visa requirements to support himself and his wife in Canada.  If you stop residing in Canada and do not file annually with the CRA that your income meets this requirement you will find yourself in the same position.  That is returning and working in Canada to establish yourself and thus  indeed able to support your new wife and family.  Only then will CIC issue your wife and family the said immigration visas.

You need to think about this.  Not doing so will put your future  family sponsorship on hold until you are able to do so.

Good Luck whatever you do.  Wes.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2016, 11:48:29 AM »
Jerash:
One question that you have not asked, but is very important!  Once your future wife's sponsorship has been processed will you be able to provide the CRA documents that you have "Canadian Income" at that time which meets the criteria to in fact provide for your new family here in Canada?  This is very important.

Case in point: Rvrwind from Alberta after spending about 5 years living in Russia as others have suggested with his wife (we were at their wedding in Russia too) found he had to return to Canada and re-establish himself for at least 6 months before he was in a position to provide documents that in fact he met the CIC visa requirements to support himself and his wife in Canada.  If you stop residing in Canada and do not file annually with the CRA that your income meets this requirement you will find yourself in the same position.  That is returning and working in Canada to establish yourself and thus  indeed able to support your new wife and family.  Only then will CIC issue your wife and family the said immigration visas.

You need to think about this.  Not doing so will put your future  family sponsorship on hold until you are able to do so.

Good Luck whatever you do.  Wes.

Thats about right! Life sucks for your working Joe public , work all your life, pay your taxes and they won't even give you a little grace to bring your wife back whilst you look for a new job to support her!

If you can earn a good income from the net it shouldn't matter.

Its a pity the Channel tunnel doesn't stretch to Canada in which case it would just be a suitcase job like in the uk! ;D

Offline Manny

« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2016, 04:53:54 PM »

You can earn good money from the net as an expat; and most don't declare it anywhere.

People who are 'travelling', 'between locations' or otherwise non-resident of where they really are can have a lot of fun not paying taxes on some internet income for a few years (I did). But sooner or later you need to touch base with the home country; the one your passport is issued by. Seeking to import a wife is such an example. When I did this, this stuff used to be really loose, I had to provide no tax info or anything. Now it is tightening up. And rightly so.

Healthcare, immigration and all sorts of processes are tightening up. Over time, people who don't pay into the system will be and are excluded from it. It is the same process we use to curb iffy immigration. It is far from watertight yet, many slip through the net. But each quarter the revenue plunders thousands from my account in VAT and other taxes nowadays. It never used to be so. Times are changing.

You can avoid it to a point, earning a few hundred a week, staying under the radar, but if you ever hit the 'big time', the 'system' is unavoidable. The point will come when you have to step out from the shadows. But then you simply learn to play the game by different rules. You pay your wife for 16 hours a week, take dividends, utilise "entertaining clients" more, etc.

Turn over a half or even a quarter mil a year sterling from EU/US clients and watch those old shady doors close. But on the upside, US income is VAT free, you get loads of deductions you can spend sat in expensive restaurants with your wife, and with the right advice, it isnt so painful.

Will Sberbank allow credit card processing from the US on a a western facing website? If they do, not for long before you pay Russian tax. Russia will cut you some slack, and they don't report back, but sooner or later they will want their % of your action if you are making money.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2016, 05:02:52 PM »
I checked and triple confirmed. Canadians are exempt from the income requirements when sponsoring their spouse, child, or spouse's child.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2016, 05:34:28 PM »
For those Americans who think moving to Russia will end any issues you have in dealing with the IRS and earning income in Russia, think again. Despite what you may be thinking that you can earn income in Russia without reporting it to the IRS, Russian banks do indeed report Americans' bank accounts to the IRS and the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) lives in Russia.

On June 30 President Putin signed a law requiring Russian banks to report information on American accounts to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in compliance with the so-called “Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act” (FATCA), enacted by the U.S. Congress in 2010.

http://sputniknews.com/columnists/20140725/191441744/Moscow-Must-Close-a-Yawning-Gap-in-Its-Financial-Armor-.html 
http://www.accountingweb.com/aa/law-and-enforcement/reports-77000-banks-are-complying-with-us-on-fatca
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2016, 05:40:46 PM »
Are you a Russian living and earning income outside of Russia? Don't think you have to report that income to the Russian authorities? Maybe you do have to report it?

The Russian government recently introduced legislation that some are calling the Russian FATCA. Banks around the world must now notify the Russian authorities when a Russian national opens a bank account with them, in what PwC is calling the “Russian FATCA”.

PwC summarised the rule as follows: “Under the Order, foreign financial institutions shall submit to Russian tax authorities reports on foreign bank accounts of Russian individuals and legal entities directly or indirectly controlled by Russian individuals.”

Banks must reportedly pass on personal information of their clients, including passport details and addresses, PwC says. However it appears that, in its finalised form, the rule does not require banks to disclose details of the amount held in the bank account. Earlier drafts did have such a requirement. PwC said this amendment was “favourable to foreign financial institutions”.

For those Russians who are living and working outside of Russia it might be time to talk to your bank or the Russian embassy about this particular piece of Russian legislation.

http://www.pwc.ru/ru/legal-services/news/assets/flash-report-64-en.pdf
http://www.internationalinvestment.net/regions/global-banks-hit-with-russian-fatca/
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2016, 12:20:57 AM »
So i have a couple of properties in Rostov region  :innocent:

Our main one a 3 bedroom stand alone house in the depths of winter ie snow on the ground  ;D has never cost me more than 6000r per month in the last 7 years
yes i agree year on year it does go up, that also includes our rubbish removal payment local yearly tax and the Telephone / internet,:)

As for the summer house well now that Grandmother can live there all year round after the last couple of years remont/extension this year is coming in at about 3000r in winter

All is doable it just how you plan to live your life, as for eating out, we do this maybe a couple of time a month , we tend to visit friends or they visit us which for us is more the norm than eating out
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2016, 02:13:26 AM »

You can earn good money from the net as an expat; and most don't declare it anywhere.

People who are 'travelling', 'between locations' or otherwise non-resident of where they really are can have a lot of fun not paying taxes on some internet income for a few years (I did). But sooner or later you need to touch base with the home country; the one your passport is issued by. Seeking to import a wife is such an example. When I did this, this stuff used to be really loose, I had to provide no tax info or anything. Now it is tightening up. And rightly so.

Healthcare, immigration and all sorts of processes are tightening up. Over time, people who don't pay into the system will be and are excluded from it. It is the same process we use to curb iffy immigration. It is far from watertight yet, many slip through the net. But each quarter the revenue plunders thousands from my account in VAT and other taxes nowadays. It never used to be so. Times are changing.

You can avoid it to a point, earning a few hundred a week, staying under the radar, but if you ever hit the 'big time', the 'system' is unavoidable. The point will come when you have to step out from the shadows. But then you simply learn to play the game by different rules. You pay your wife for 16 hours a week, take dividends, utilise "entertaining clients" more, etc.

Turn over a half or even a quarter mil a year sterling from EU/US clients and watch those old shady doors close. But on the upside, US income is VAT free, you get loads of deductions you can spend sat in expensive restaurants with your wife, and with the right advice, it isnt so painful.

Will Sberbank allow credit card processing from the US on a a western facing website? If they do, not for long before you pay Russian tax. Russia will cut you some slack, and they don't report back, but sooner or later they will want their % of your action if you are making money.

You can always re locate to Transnistria every thing is possible there  ;D

Offline Jerash

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »
Hi WestCoast- just want to remind you that this thread is for people thinking about temporarily locating to Russia to do up the immigration issues. You can start a new thread for talking about American and Russian taxation. I'll be grateful if you don't pollute my thread further with off topics. Thanks!

Offline Jerash

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2016, 10:52:46 PM »

You can always re locate to Transnistria every thing is possible there  ;D

Registration