The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Temporarily Moving to Russia?  (Read 6705 times)

Offline Jerash

• Trips: Resident
Temporarily Moving to Russia?
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:41:24 PM »
I hope this can be re-categorized, if I am posting this in the wrong place. 

I don't want people to have to rehash things they've written many times before, but the search function here is somewhat hopeless, so I would appreciate just being pointed in the right direction where the information already exists here.

I am wondering about the prospects for temporarily relocating to Russia and how realistic that is.  I am developing a serious relationship with a Russian girl and we are both serious and know what we want.  If everything goes well, we will get to a point where we marry and submit a Family Class application so she can relocate.  In my view, once we decide we want to be together, I don't really see being a part during the application process as an ideal option, and I would rather move somewhere where we can be together while the processing is taking place.  Although maybe not the only option, going to Russia seems like the most obvious and realistic option.

I expect that the processing time would be 1.5-2 years for the whole thing.  Can I live with her in Russia during that time?  Is that a realistic idea to be thinking of and how difficult would this be to get the proper visas for?

I think I have an option to have some work in the virtual world when I'm there.  But I don't know if it is enough to go there just to live with her and not be doing anything else from an official perspective.  I don't know how possible some kind of residency permit would be that would allow me to be in Russia for that period of time.  I am open to other things as well - I would like to learn Russian if I am going to be with a Russian girl and the local university has a language program for foreigners.  I am also open to teaching ESL at a language school if it is necessary.

I just want to know if I have any realistic options for spending an extended period of time in Russia and how easy or difficult it would be and what, ultimately, would be the best way to go.

I'd appreciate any advice from those in the know on these particular questions and I will also be really grateful if people can point me towards relevant information that has already been posted that may answer some of my questions.

Thanks!

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
Re: Temporarily Moving to Russia?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 01:24:51 AM »
It might help to know what skills you have, your education and where in Russia would you live. Also if the RW is tied to a job and family.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 02:08:37 AM »
You don't need to provide anyone on this forum with any skills you have. Your chances of landing a job in Russia nowadays are nil; the only exception is being transferred via your already existing work.

Your best bet is to get a 3-year tourist visa (or the longest one possible offered to your country), and then try to find employment with a language school that will sponsor you once you're in Russia. The tourist visa will allow you to stay up to 6 months without having to leave, and if hired by a reputable school, they will sponsor a work permit for you that will allow you to stay in Russia year round.

A university degree will be a big plus if you have one. One good option is http://jobs.languagelink.ru. as they are in several cities around Russia. There will be pluses and minuses for you working for this school because you're a "newbie", depending on how you look at it. The best thing about this particular school is that they will sponsor you as an independent contractor, so you can work as little or as much as you like without jeopardizing your visa status.

A student visa might be possible as well, but certain specifics will be required. That info is easily accessed on the internet should you consider going that route.

No other visa option will be available to you.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Online Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 02:26:25 AM »
Dan, glad to see one of your posts.  Are his options limited to teaching or being transferred due to the Russian economy?  Do you teach English or do you work for an international corporation? 

Always glad to receive first hand info from someone on the other side of the "iron curtain". 

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 02:46:35 AM »
If your meaning working in the virtual world as in the Internet and you earn a living by that its very very easy as easy as 1-2-3.

Make your visa and move. Thats all there is to it.

If you can earn a reasonable living you probably will not want to go back to Canada as so often is the case :)
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 02:48:41 AM »
I do teach English here. One big difference is that you will not have a reputation, nor a built-in clientele once you get here. It took me a little over a year to establish myself to the point that I didn't have to chase work, it chased me. I also arrived not long after the oil boom started, which was beneficial to my situation.

The same opportunities do not exist now, but that doesn't mean you can't make it work for you. IOW, while there are fewer opportunities to take advantage of, there is less competition for those opportunities. 

Yes, his options are limited. Of course, if you have skills that can be transferred to an online business, that would be nice.

The economy does factor into the equation, but Russians have been steadily replacing expats in the workforce over the years. As in most countries, companies will only hire foreigners if a suitable local cannot be found to do the job; rare not to find this person these days in Russia.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Online Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 02:58:14 AM »
Thanks Dan. 

Do you also work for an international corporation, or rely solely on teaching? 

I agree with you, I can definitely see life there being very attractive.  I've been to Russia twice, five times total to the former FSU and can't wait to return. 

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 03:05:07 AM »
Jerash

If you can get a BUSINESS Visa - then you can come and go as you please for a year...but you can only stay for 180 days of the year.

You can't WORK in Russia with this visa - but you can earn money from overseas and attend business meetings, make presentations, etc.

If you start from there - then you can look at other options.
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 11:09:10 AM »
Jerash

If you can get a BUSINESS Visa - then you can come and go as you please for a year...but you can only stay for 180 days of the year.

You can't WORK in Russia with this visa - but you can earn money from overseas and attend business meetings, make presentations, etc.

If you start from there - then you can look at other options.

A 1 year m/e business visa allows the holder to be in Russia for 90 days per 180 days of visa validity, which basically means that 2 visits of 90 days in 1 year is the norm, one cannot stay for 180 day in one period on said visa. Overstaying a 90 days period is also frowned upon.
Possibly the best route, is to obtain a 90 days business visa, leave the country after said period, obtain a further 90 day visa and return to the country, there is nothing illegal with this route, and is employed by many, though doing a visa run out of the country every 90 days can prove to be expensive.
Whilst on a business visa to Russia, if one is NOT married to a Russian citizen, one can apply under the "Quota" system for a TRP, (Temporary residence visa), these visa types take about 6 months to be issued usually.
This is the route that I would take if I wished to stay in Russia on a permanent basis, looking for a RW.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 11:39:28 AM »
You can always ask her to make you a 90 day private invite. Its very inexpensive and pretty painless to do.

You can buy a "Quote" In Pitter very easy for about $1500 through some agencies. You will need to do a few tests with that but can be solved for a little cash :)

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 12:00:06 PM »
I just got a job offer in Moscow totally out of the blue from a contact, work visa sorted, salary £900 a month, told them to  :censored:  off.....

Can do that on a good day now in UK.....
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 12:25:13 PM »
I just got a job offer in Moscow totally out of the blue from a contact, work visa sorted, salary £900 a month, told them to  :censored:  off.....

Salary seems quite low  :-X
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 12:35:21 PM »
I just got a job offer in Moscow totally out of the blue from a contact, work visa sorted, salary £900 a month, told them to  :censored:  off.....

Maybe it was a snow clearer or something like that?

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 01:14:41 PM »

POWER and SPARC virtualisation, maybe more rbls under the table Russky-style!!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 02:01:22 PM »

A snow clearer would be lucky to get 30,000r/month.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2016, 02:02:03 PM »

POWER and SPARC virtualisation, maybe more rbls under the table Russky-style!!

what's that??

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2016, 02:05:57 PM »
It sounds something more complicated like a "Glass visualisation technician " which basically means a "Window cleaner"
 :ROFL:

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2016, 02:10:20 PM »
It sounds something more complicated like a "Glass visualisation technician " which basically means a "Window cleaner"

A Domestic engineer = cleaner.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2016, 02:11:39 PM »

You mean that he changes light bulbs for a living??

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2016, 02:18:10 PM »
I hope this can be re-categorized, if I am posting this in the wrong place. 

I don't want people to have to rehash things they've written many times before, but the search function here is somewhat hopeless, so I would appreciate just being pointed in the right direction where the information already exists here.

I am wondering about the prospects for temporarily relocating to Russia and how realistic that is.  I am developing a serious relationship with a Russian girl and we are both serious and know what we want.  If everything goes well, we will get to a point where we marry and submit a Family Class application so she can relocate.  In my view, once we decide we want to be together, I don't really see being a part during the application process as an ideal option, and I would rather move somewhere where we can be together while the processing is taking place.  Although maybe not the only option, going to Russia seems like the most obvious and realistic option.

I expect that the processing time would be 1.5-2 years for the whole thing.  Can I live with her in Russia during that time?  Is that a realistic idea to be thinking of and how difficult would this be to get the proper visas for?

I think I have an option to have some work in the virtual world when I'm there.  But I don't know if it is enough to go there just to live with her and not be doing anything else from an official perspective.  I don't know how possible some kind of residency permit would be that would allow me to be in Russia for that period of time.  I am open to other things as well - I would like to learn Russian if I am going to be with a Russian girl and the local university has a language program for foreigners.  I am also open to teaching ESL at a language school if it is necessary.

I just want to know if I have any realistic options for spending an extended period of time in Russia and how easy or difficult it would be and what, ultimately, would be the best way to go.

I'd appreciate any advice from those in the know on these particular questions and I will also be really grateful if people can point me towards relevant information that has already been posted that may answer some of my questions.

Thanks!

Whereabouts in Russia does your girl live? ESL jobs may be limited outside big cities and will they match your salary expectations?

P.s. That line of work is going to bring you in contact with lots of young FSUW....
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Jerash

Temporarily Moving to Russia?
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2016, 04:28:46 PM »
Maxx- I have a couple of university degrees, work as a professional ( potentially with some expertise that could be used to run a business in Russia, but could be difficult not having a working knowledge of Russian language. I have previously taught ESL as an English native speaker. The destination in mind is Izhevsk. She is working, but once there I think we would want to start a family, so I would need to be the main breadwinner. She has one child.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2016, 04:34:49 PM »
Steveboy - thanks for your reply.  You understand me correctly. I am on a contractor list for a company that does ESL online and I can work about as much or little as I like or need. However, I was looking at this yesterday and I think 90 days is the max for a tourist visa for Canadians.

Offline Jerash

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2016, 04:41:33 PM »
Steveboy - what is a "Quote"?  I have not heard of this before and I'm wondering what would I be getting for $1500?

Offline Jerash

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2016, 04:49:55 PM »
Danchik- I'm really glad you posted here. I remember reading some of your posts on a different topic a while back, but I didn't know if you were still active in the forums. I do remember that you provided a lot of really helpful and even inspiring information about building a professional life in Moscow. I do have previous ESL experience, I am a native speaker, and I am well-educated. At times, I think about getting out of here sooner than later and relocating to Russia regardless of how things develop, but not sure if that would be a wise idea. I may have a financial incentive to relocate sooner than later and I am fortunate to have a good job which potentially would allow me to take an extended period of unpaid leave without me actually having to quit. Danchik, thanks for spotting my post and replying here.

Right now, my destination would be Izhevsk, not Moscow, but who knows? Depends how things go. Did RW(s) first draw you to Russia? If you don't mind my asking, are you in a relationship with an RW?

Offline Jerash

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2016, 04:58:48 PM »
Hi AKA Luke - I would be Izhevsk bound. As to my salary expectations - I wouldn't be coming over there to make a fortune and nor do I hope to come close to matching my current salary. But she owns her flat free and clear, so I would hope to be able to earn enough to support a family of 3-4 during the immigration processing time.

Registration