The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: flu epidemic in Ukraine, and parts of Russia  (Read 1226 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
flu epidemic in Ukraine, and parts of Russia
« on: January 26, 2016, 02:15:10 PM »
If you are planning to visit Ukraine, or some parts of Russia,in the next few weeks, you might want to get a flu vaccination.

Ukraine's healthcare ministry announces flu epidemic as more than 80 people die

http://uatoday.tv/society/ukraine-s-healthcare-ministry-announces-flu-epidemic-as-more-than-80-people-die-578681.html
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: flu epidemic in Ukraine, and parts of Russia
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 02:19:38 PM »
If you are planning to visit Ukraine, or some parts of Russia,in the next few weeks, you might want to get a flu vaccination.

http://uatoday.tv/society/ukraine-s-healthcare-ministry-announces-flu-epidemic-as-more-than-80-people-die-578681.html

If be more worried about taking a well stocked supply of rubbers, The HIV epidemic in Ukraine has just got a whole lot worse.

http://www.vice.com/read/ukraine-the-other-war-222
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 02:33:00 PM »
If you're worried about HIV/AIDS then you might want to worry about something a little more common, hepatitis. There's hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C. There are readily available vaccines for hep A and hep B. A vaccine for hep C is currently in development. Also a good idea to get a tetanus shot or booster if needed.

Best to consult your MD or community health centre about recommended vaccines, etc when travelling outside your country.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 02:40:41 PM »

I'm off over there in 24 hours for a couple of weeks, I usually have a flu jab every winter, but my wife and daughter don't, so we will have to see when we get there what the situation is  :(
Слава Україні

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 03:05:51 PM »

I'm off over there in 24 hours for a couple of weeks, I usually have a flu jab every winter, but my wife and daughter don't, so we will have to see when we get there what the situation is  :(
Hope you all have a good trip. It's cold out there.......so take your woolly pants. :chuckle:

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 03:11:57 PM »

Hope you all have a good trip. It's cold out there.......so take your woolly pants. :chuckle:

tiphat  yes I hear it is  :o
Слава Україні

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 04:27:24 PM »

tiphat  yes I hear it is  :o

Hope you and the family have a wonderful time.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 06:22:21 PM »
I don't know the incubation period - but within 48 hours of arrival in Russia - to celebrate new year - I came down with the flu - gripp - грипп - and it took 10 days to be able to move about

If any vaccination might help - go for it

People were walking around with face masks in Russia and on the train to Moscow...

Loads of Thais working at the airport were wearing masks - including those as we came off the plane  :o

At the time of leaving - 10th the SW Region of Russia - adjacent to Ukraine was having serious problems - overloaded - with new cases.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 01:14:43 AM »
If you're worried about HIV/AIDS then you might want to worry about something a little more common, hepatitis. There's hepatitis A, hepatitis B, and hepatitis C. There are readily available vaccines for hep A and hep B. A vaccine for hep C is currently in development. Also a good idea to get a tetanus shot or booster if needed.

Best to consult your MD or community health centre about recommended vaccines, etc when travelling outside your country.

Having travelled to various places over the last few years I'm upto date on those. I'd be more concered about getting HIV/AIDS than hepatitis, though I don't tend to share needles.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 01:16:36 AM »

Have a great trip Chris. Maybe we'll see some new photos in the gallery on your return?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 01:23:57 AM »
I think it has spread to northern France - sitting here with a bioweaponised version of Manflu.

Worse yet, my car has been vandalized by (I assume) one of the area's newer inhabitants.

So now I sit, dripping weaponised snot, waiting for my insurance company to wake up to authorise the repair.

Sitting, quite literally on the beach at Dunkirk, I don't feel much of the vaunted Dunkirk spirit and, sure as shit, not much goodwill to those seeking a new life suckling at the tit  of Brittania.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 04:57:32 AM »
I think it has spread to northern France - sitting here with a bioweaponised version of Manflu.

Worse yet, my car has been vandalized by (I assume) one of the area's newer inhabitants.

So now I sit, dripping weaponised snot, waiting for my insurance company to wake up to authorise the repair.

Sitting, quite literally on the beach at Dunkirk, I don't feel much of the vaunted Dunkirk spirit and, sure as shit, not much goodwill to those seeking a new life suckling at the tit  of Brittania.

Do you remember Charles Bronson in Deathwish ?     
Go and dish out some vengeance on the bloody blighters! :smokin:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 05:13:37 AM »

What's the damage?? Assuming it's more than cosmetic.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 05:56:50 AM »
The two pieces of glass in one of the rear doors are shattered with glass throughout the cabin. They also had a go a jemmying open the door. That is cosmetically damaged but functionally OK.

Nothing was taken. The car had only a couple of bottles of water and a hi visibility tabard, all present and correct. I am now sitting in the foyer of Carglass, the French name for Autoglass. They are fitting some perspex for now and tomorrow morning  will fit the right glass.

All in all it went smoothly enough. Now an extra hotel night and I already paid the excess amount.

It could be worse. When similar happened in Spain to the Mercedes I did not have cover, the glass, double glazed, cost about €1000 and took a week to arrive from Saint Gobain in France.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 01:58:18 PM »
I usually have a flu jab every winter, but my wife and daughter don't, so we will have to see when we get there what the situation is  :(

My wife is cautious of flu jabs (dunno why - its an FSU woman mistrust thing I never got to the bottom of) but has the odd one when I mither. Dochka had one in school recently under some school programme; which was nice. I get one at Tesco pharmacy most years (I pay for the staff to have them too) but didn't last year so am overdue one now.

Wifey is getting fed up of jabs just now. We are hoping to all go to China later this year and there is a slew of shots for there; some 6 months apart, so we start now. I had mine a couple of years ago, but her and dochka are seeing the nurse every couple of weeks right now for numerous injections.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2016, 09:24:11 AM »

Registration