The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: BBC Panorama Tonight: A Little Putin Bashing.  (Read 775 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
BBC Panorama Tonight: A Little Putin Bashing.
« on: January 25, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »
For those in the UK, the corrupt, unaccountable, pedophile-infested BBC is running a Panorama programme tonight entitled "Putin’s Secret Riches" at 8.30.

Or as the Grauniad's Andrew Muller breathlessley puts it:

It is commonly supposed and/or alleged that Vladimir Putin has amassed a vast personal fortune, despite spending most of his life drawing a public-sector wage. Richard Bilton’s film goes looking for the truth about Putin’s loot, meeting several former Kremlin insiders who claim knowledge of what Putin has, how he got it, and where he has stashed it. As is often the case with journalism concerning Russia, reminders to self that this isn’t some bleak satirical fiction but is actually happening are necessary.

We all (except Moby) know it will be the usual shameless anti-Russian propaganda one expects from the BBC, but I suppose its worth a watch.

The BBC are heavy on the anti-Putin, pro-Yank stuff this week:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRxLkuzerT8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRxLkuzerT8</a>

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: BBC Panorama Tonight: A Little Putin Bashing.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 12:39:43 PM »
And Tony Blair is a multi millionaire from all his little bits of work helping the EU grow and advising on ascension. Still coining it in now.
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Manny

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 12:54:30 PM »
And Tony Blair is a multi millionaire from all his little bits of work helping the EU grow and advising on ascension. Still coining it in now.

Funny they don't make a programme about that eh?

Offline Texan77

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 01:22:07 PM »

Yea the difference is only five little zeros between millions and hundreds of billions.

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 01:33:37 PM »
Over the past few weeks the Putin bashing has been over the top.
My thoughts are some of this has to do with the upcoming presidential election here in the United states.

Seems right after Putin praised Donald Trump, and Trump in turn defended Putin, there has been an assault on Putin's character.
It's no secret the media here is very liberal, and I would not doubt funding has made its way to other western media sources.

Of course this is just my opinion, but it seems things have a way of being linked to the United states.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 03:13:51 PM »
Over the past few weeks the Putin bashing has been over the top.

The BBC ran back to back on BBC3 right after this an episode of Extreme Russia on Russian nationalists in Moscow.

Its anti-Russian night on the BBC.

The Panorama programme was predictable: interviews with disgraced blokes that fled Russia, laced with people from the US treasury spouting mere opinion, the obligatory stuff on Ukraine, Khodorkovsky and Litvinenko. No proof of anything, just the voice over saying "we have seen some documents that support this". Nothing new there, just the same old stuff recycled and repackaged.

Online msmoby

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 08:27:33 PM »
Why I have never been a 'fan' of Putin - long before Crimea ... I was questioning how he was acquiring such a property portfolio on his limited Presidential income ...oh, and pointing out his intentions to weaken Ukraine - if it dared look to the west  - by destabilising / polarising it's people...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35385445

Putin is corrupt - say US Treasury

The Beeb continued it's 'biased' slant with ''Panorama: Putin's Secret Riches'' - available to Brits or those with a UK IP and decent internet  - excludes me - for now ... Malaysia, perhaps, will be better ..

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 01:29:33 AM »
I was questioning how he was acquiring such a property portfolio on his limited Presidential income ...

Do you similarly question UK politicians?

Thought not.

We all (except Moby) know it will be the usual shameless anti-Russian propaganda one expects from the BBC, but I suppose its worth a watch.

:whist11:

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 02:55:30 AM »

Yea the difference is only five little zeros between millions and hundreds of billions.

There's also a few zeros difference between £70,000 and £7,000,000.

Let that sink in for a bit.
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online msmoby

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 06:00:22 PM »

I think you'll find that

1/ Moby is in a vast majority - outside Russia - and on here - in understanding Putin has made his way by corrupt means

2/ Blair was finished as PM by the BBC... and made much of his fortune from property - quite legit - unless you know otherwise

His Mrs and he earn a lot of money and the question is why do people pay the price they set for their advice .. ?

Now, as usual - we have seen nothing to counter the BBC programme - which I haven't SEEN, yet .. :coffeeread:

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 01:06:33 PM »
Just wondering why the British media is spewing out this crap at record pace?
Makes the United states media a tad bit lacking behind these days. :coffeeread:

Putin is a human rights abusing oligarch. The British left must speak out

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/jan/26/vladimir-putin-russia-oligarch-british-left-speak-out
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 01:28:52 PM »
1/ Moby is in a vast majority - outside Russia - and on here - in understanding Putin has made his way by corrupt means

Funny how people "understand" something they cannot prove. Kinda like imagining it, no?

2/ Blair was finished as PM by the BBC... and made much of his fortune from property - quite legit - unless you know otherwise

His Mrs and he earn a lot of money and the question is why do people pay the price they set for their advice .. ?

As with Putin, there is much out there speculating about corruption and shady deals. I reckon there will be a LOT that will come out one day about Blair.

Now, as usual - we have seen nothing to counter the BBC programme - which I haven't SEEN, yet .. :coffeeread:

Its not possible to disprove something is it? Imagine I accused you of something in the media. Aged corruption in the 90's or example. Could you prove it was untrue? Probably not. As with Putin. Except, he doesn't need to as he has no need to 'convince' the BBC. He knows as well as most right thinking people that that programme and the ones that followed it were politically motivated.

Now consider this: It is the case that Putin's official salary is about $110k a year. Circa £77k. Not a kings ransom. Many here earn more a year. I wouldn't do his job - with all the risks, stress and abnormal lifestyle it entails - for that money. I doubt anyone here would in reality. It is the case that after he leaves office he will need some serious security for the rest of his life. He will need a certain kind of lifestyle. He will have earned it.

He will never be able to pop to Tescos, take a regular flight, have a drive in the country with a girlfriend, book a table in a restaurant or many of the every day things we take for granted. Same as George Bush, Tony Blair or Gordon Brown cant.

People with those needs must 'make arrangements' for the future. And usually the future of their loved ones and close family. While they are in office and they still have power to do so. Once they have left office it is too late.

I would fully expect Putin to have made suitable arrangements for himself, as I would any similarly powerful politician from any country.

Richest man in the world? Possible but I doubt it. Suitable nest egg tucked away for ones future? Most likely. Him and Blair, Clinton, both Bushes, Brown and Major. Cameron and Obama will be doing theirs now.

Its how the world works.

Online msmoby

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 04:46:43 PM »
[
Funny how people "understand" something they cannot prove. Kinda like imagining it, no?

Without having SEEN the programme, yet - I don't need to 'imagine' how Putin amassed a fortune whilst always in public service as a civil servant  :sick0012:

As with Putin, there is much out there speculating about corruption and shady deals. I reckon there will be a LOT that will come out one day about Blair.

Manny, the subject of THIS thread is Putin ...but if you have some dirt on Blair ..let's have it..I cannot understand why former leaders get paid so much as 'consultants' or the whole family manage to get gravy train salaries from Europe - like the Kinnock's - at one stage.

But they are not in Putin's league- hen did he work in the private sector  ?  :chuckle:

Its not possible to disprove something is it? Imagine I accused you of something in the media. Aged corruption in the 90's or example. Could you prove it was untrue? Probably not. As with Putin. Except, he doesn't need to as he has no need to 'convince' the BBC. He knows as well as most right thinking people that that programme and the ones that followed it were politically motivated.

You have a short memory - You HAVE  accused me of something - and I have proved it was untrue...the only difference - it wasn't in a Court of law....  :chuckle:

'Politically motivated ' is the cry we hear from all corrupt politicians as an excuse...

An example of how corrupt things are is Putin's press secretary's watch ..which caused a 'flap' .. It was worth over 600K USD.. His version of how he acquired it kept changing - and in the end .. he said ' take me to Court' ...  which in Russia,today - is like saying '' haha we control the Courts - so you are wasting your time ''

Now consider this: It is the case that Putin's official salary is about $110k a year. Circa £77k. Not a kings ransom. Many here earn more a year. I wouldn't do his job - with all the risks, stress and abnormal lifestyle it entails - for that money. I doubt anyone here would in reality. It is the case that after he leaves office he will need some serious security for the rest of his life. He will need a certain kind of lifestyle. He will have earned it.

He will never be able to pop to Tescos, take a regular flight, have a drive in the country with a girlfriend, book a table in a restaurant or many of the every day things we take for granted. Same as George Bush, Tony Blair or Gordon Brown cant.

People with those needs must 'make arrangements' for the future. And usually the future of their loved ones and close family. While they are in office and they still have power to do so. Once they have left office it is too late.

I would fully expect Putin to have made suitable arrangements for himself, as I would any similarly powerful politician from any country.

Richest man in the world? Possible but I doubt it. Suitable nest egg tucked away for ones future? Most likely. Him and Blair, Clinton, both Bushes, Brown and Major. Cameron and Obama will be doing theirs now.

Its how the world works.

OK, so now you are telling me he has 'invested' wisely  ?  :chuckle:

I think Bernie Ecclestone had it about 'right' when he was describing his admiration for Putin and suggesting Sepp Blatter should stay on to run FIFA.

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has claimed democracy has no place in the world during a candid interview on Russian TV.
The 84-year-old was pressed by Russian state-funded TV network RT about whether his sport’s decision making had become too democratic. "I don’t think there’s any place for democracy, full stop," he said. "Anywhere."

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 07:15:49 PM »
Well done Manny.

Explaining to Moby is simple terms what all the rulers , when in power, they do make the necessary arrangements to be ready for their retirement.

NOW HE MUST START TO UNDERSTAND SIMPLE THINGS!

BTW the BBC two years ago they had a 4 part series investigation About "Putin".

Moby

I noticed you had second thoughts and you took action after my sensible advice!  :nod: :)

"For every beauty there is an eye to see it. For every truth there is an ear to hear it."

Online msmoby

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 07:44:43 PM »

Explaining to Moby is simple terms what all the rulers , when in power, they do make the necessary arrangements to be ready for their retirement.

Manny and you forgot to tell us how he is saving - provided overseas education and none too shabby pads for his daughters - and acquired his small fortune on his meagre public servants salary ..

NOW HE MUST START TO UNDERSTAND SIMPLE THINGS!

No need to shout, Wiz.. as yet most of us aren't needing hearing aids ... and if you could get back with a simple explanation to my  - as yet - unanswered question..

Moby

I noticed you had second thoughts and you took action after my sensible advice!  :nod: :)
[/quote]

Oh yes ... :ROFL: