The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Poll

Should The United Kingdom stay in the EU or leave?

Yes- the UK should stay
No-the UK should leave
I don't know - I am an unthinking RUA member
I don't care - it makes little difference to me
I am Moby

Author Topic: Brexit  (Read 41654 times)

Online Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
Brexit
« on: January 23, 2016, 02:50:09 AM »
With an end to Cameron's 'renegotiation' and a deal on the table for Britain approaching, I thought it would be interesting to get a forum view on this topic.
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Brexit
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 02:55:00 AM »
A reformed relationship with the EU might be OK if it stems the £53m a day it costs us and gives us control of our borders, health and benefit systems. But Cameron isnt going to deliver anything of the sort.

What we need is a Common Market as it was envisaged in the 70's rather than some unaccountable, unelected Brussels overlords.

We need to leave.

We need to sit at the periphery as Norway, Iceland and Switzerland do, and trade with Europe freely while not being ruled by them.

Any floating voters need to watch this hour long film:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTMxfAkxfQ0</a>

Online Bruce Lee

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 02:59:22 AM »
I am unable to think of many positives that it brings to the country – looking at the city which we live in the influx of Romanians has done nothing to enhance the area – unless you count the positives of blokes with nicked Asda shopping trollies skanking around the streets early morning picking up crap to sell at the closest scrap merchant or the enriching sight of women cleaning cars at traffic lights! Under this control its more of the same – only worse!

If the yanks get their way Ukraine could be the next poor as piss Country to welch – not in my name, no thanks :sick0012:

If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 03:06:24 AM »
I think any country thats sane should leave, so I will be happy for you guys if you pull it off.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Dogsoldier

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 03:10:48 AM »
A reformed relationship with the EU might be OK if it stems the £53m a day it costs us and gives us control of our borders, health and benefit systems. But Cameron isnt going to deliver anything of the sort.

What we need is a Common Market as it was envisaged in the 70's rather than some unaccountable, unelected Brussels overlords.

We need to leave.

We need to sit at the periphery as Norway, Iceland and Switzerland do, and trade with Europe freely while not being ruled by them.
I don't think that being like Norway etc would work. The EU still imposes its regulations on those countries along with free movement.
Now that Switzerland has voted to control its borders it will be interesting to see how the EU reacts.

Online Dogsoldier

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 03:12:46 AM »
I am unable to think of many positives that it brings to the country – looking at the city which we live in the influx of Romanians has done nothing to enhance the area – unless you count the positives of blokes with nicked Asda shopping trollies skanking around the streets early morning picking up crap to sell at the closest scrap merchant or the enriching sight of women cleaning cars at traffic lights! Under this control its more of the same – only worse!

If the yanks get their way Ukraine could be the next poor as piss Country to welch – not in my name, no thanks :sick0012:
Boston?
There is no prospect of Ukraine joining the EU any time soon, if at all.

Online Dogsoldier

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 03:13:28 AM »
I think any country thats sane should leave, so I will be happy for you guys if you pull it off.
tiphat

Online Bruce Lee

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 03:24:01 AM »
Boston?
No Its Brum, although we are lucky enough to live in a decent part of the city, unfortunately my daily journey to work takes me through the majority of the crappiest parts – its getting increasingly more depressing – some parts leave me with the thought we are already lost :(

Hopefully you are correct!
If you get a minute check out Bruce's TR - Its not quite finished, however its still a pretty good read IMHO.

If I win the lottery I'll finish it this week if not I'll probably complete it when I retire!!! Until then I hope you enjoy the story so far!

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 04:46:59 AM »
Boston?
No Its Brum, although we are lucky enough to live in a decent part of the city, unfortunately my daily journey to work takes me through the majority of the crappiest parts – its getting increasingly more depressing – some parts leave me with the thought we are already lost :(

Hopefully you are correct!

Nothing against you, but the best option for the brum area is to nuke it and start again :laugh:

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 04:51:21 AM »
DS your question on the poll isn't 100% Brexit PC.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ff8203ca-5082-11e5-8642-453585f2cfcd.html#axzz3y4FAZiVN

But yeah, sooner we leave the better as Manny rightly states, Cameron ain't gonna deliver!
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online Dogsoldier

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 04:58:26 AM »

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ff8203ca-5082-11e5-8642-453585f2cfcd.html#axzz3y4FAZiVN

But yeah, sooner we leave the better as Manny rightly states, Cameron ain't gonna deliver!
AK, I couldn't access the page on FT. Could you expand on it?

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 06:13:29 AM »

AK, I couldn't access the page on FT. Could you expand on it?

Voters will now be given an amended question:

Should the United Kingdom remain a member of the European Union or leave the European Union?
The answer options will be now be either:

Remain a member of the European Union
Leave the European Union

While the previous "yes" or "no" options may look more simple for a voter, the Electoral Commission said that the previous wording was "not balanced and there was a perception of bias."

Taken from: http://uk.businessinsider.com/britains-new-eu-referendum-brexit-question-2015-9
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online Dogsoldier

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 12:10:57 PM »
Boston?

Nuff said......

Online msmoby

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2016, 11:09:43 PM »
Couldn't vote with the two valid options .. YES and I'm Moby

To the 'wise ones' seeking brexit  :sick0012: ... kindly observe the direction the GBP has been taking since it looked like most might vote to leave...

Nuff said ..  :'(

Online msmoby

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2016, 11:11:17 PM »
PS , As I voted 'yes' .. could the member claiming to be me, step forward ???