The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Currencies and Precious Metals in the FSU  (Read 401 times)

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
Currencies and Precious Metals in the FSU
« on: January 17, 2016, 07:35:05 PM »
We have all seen the news about the oil prices tumbling.  Currently the ruble is at 78 per 1 USD.  At the end of 2014 we were all watching closely when the ruble hit 50 per usd.  I was in Russia in March 2015 and it was around 60.  It was about the same this past November.  Some members such as Manny purchased several thousand dollars worth of rubles for investment purposes.  Several financial analysts are now predicting the barrel might drop to $20, and there was one other I don't recall if it was Goldman Sachs which predicted $10.  Now the world will be washed with Iranian oil also.  What will all this mean for the ruble?  When is a good time to buy some rubles?  As they say don't catch a falling knife. 

There is also the investment option of the precious metals.  Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan have substantial gold reserves.  Poland is among the top ten silver reserves in the world.  Tajikistan has some silver reserves. 

A 100 ounce silver bar in the USA is currently going for around $1400.  I am in the process of finding out the prices in Russia and the former satellites.  Although I did read once somewhere that gold and silver bars are banned from export in some countries. 

With a weak currency and substantial reserves of precious metals, I am sure the prices are as attractive as the women.  Given that the price of crude will most probably continue to drop, when will the ruble recover? 

Offline WestCoast

Re: Currencies and Precious Metals in the FSU
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 07:53:12 PM »
Omega1982 I doubt anyone can accurately predict the price of oil. I've seen a number of oil experts say that $20/barrel oil is a possibility. If that happens and stays long term Russia is in very deep trouble, so are other  oil exporting countries such as Canada. Some currency experts are predicting the Canadian dollar to fall to $2Canadian to $1US.

As for gold and silver the idea that is behind a much higher price for gold is that China and/or Russia are going to go to the gold standard which is nonsense. No matter how much gold Russia or China has the idea that either will announce to the world that they are going to a 100% gold standard is rubbish.

For one thing both countries would have to publicly reveal how much gold that actually have. China won't do that, they make the US Fed look transparent. Same with Russia. Putin would never allow an international audit of Russia's finances.   
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 05:58:13 AM »
Didn't Germany have a big stock of Gold ? I know most was stolen during the second world war, not sure if they returned it? :laugh:
It was just like 70 years ago!! keep your eye on those crouts  :)
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 09:52:52 AM »
Didn't Germany have a big stock of Gold ? I know most was stolen during the second world war,

The Yanks wont cough it up: https://www.rt.com/op-edge/170948-germany-gold-us-sovereignty/
I apologise.
And so he should.........

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 09:29:28 PM »
We have all seen the news about the oil prices tumbling.  Currently the ruble is at 78 per 1 USD.  At the end of 2014 we were all watching closely when the ruble hit 50 per usd.  I was in Russia in March 2015 and it was around 60.  It was about the same this past November.  Some members such as Manny purchased several thousand dollars worth of rubles for investment purposes.  Several financial analysts are now predicting the barrel might drop to $20, and there was one other I don't recall if it was Goldman Sachs which predicted $10.  Now the world will be washed with Iranian oil also.  What will all this mean for the ruble?  When is a good time to buy some rubles?  As they say don't catch a falling knife. 

There is also the investment option of the precious metals.  Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan have substantial gold reserves.  Poland is among the top ten silver reserves in the world.  Tajikistan has some silver reserves. 

A 100 ounce silver bar in the USA is currently going for around $1400.  I am in the process of finding out the prices in Russia and the former satellites.  Although I did read once somewhere that gold and silver bars are banned from export in some countries. 

With a weak currency and substantial reserves of precious metals, I am sure the prices are as attractive as the women.  Given that the price of crude will most probably continue to drop, when will the ruble recover?

Anyone? 

Online Gipsy

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 10:01:02 PM »

Anyone?

If your question is, When will the rouble recover, then the answer is in the form of a question, Recover to what level do you mean?
Personally, I am reckoning with further losses against to $ this year, possibly to 100r/$.
I cannot see any real recovery/strengthen whatsoever in 2016, ok, it might get to 85r/$ then hold/play at that level, but not for too long I feel..
I think that the earliest that we are going to see signs of a steady recovery will be mid/late 2017 (Unless there is a war in the middle east of course).
When will it get back to 30r/$................??? 5 years maybe.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2016, 09:53:49 AM »
As history always proves what comes round goes round , everything in life goes round in a cycle SOMETIME in the future the rouble will recover , thats good enough for me :)
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 12:09:51 AM »
Manny I was eagerly awaiting your reply to this post.  I know you are a businessman with the midas touch, always abreast of current events and emerging markets.  I remember you were very enthusiastic about the ruble last spring.  You mentioned in a post from that time you had bought several thousand pounds worth of rubles when it dropped in value and then sold it when it slightly recovered and you had made a couple thousand quid.