The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Snow..  (Read 947 times)

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
The Snow..
« on: January 16, 2016, 03:17:36 AM »
The Russians are very efficient at removing the snow, unlike the lot over in the UK  ;D

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-35304216
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: The Snow..
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 03:35:54 AM »
It's pathetic it really is. 5mm of snow and the country stops
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 05:42:12 AM »
Of course the UK grinds to a halt..

1 / we don't wear winter tyres

2/ snow is worse when accompanied by high winds and driftibg

3/ our snow is often 'wet' and therefore turns to ice on contact with the ground.

4/ we don't get that much...so we don't heat runways or buy the kit that nations who have long term snow .

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 11:21:15 AM »
The snow has landed today where we live. It was on the nearby Pennines a few days ago I could see.

Pretty tame at the moment. But tame as it is, the traffic tonight was mayhem for no reason. People here have no clue how to drive in snow.
I apologise.
And so he should.........

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 12:47:15 PM »
Of course the UK grinds to a halt..

1 / we don't wear winter tyres

2/ snow is worse when accompanied by high winds and driftibg

3/ our snow is often 'wet' and therefore turns to ice on contact with the ground.

4/ we don't get that much...so we don't heat runways or buy the kit that nations who have long term snow .

Sprinkles of snow when it's in plus temperatures rarely settles.

It's nothing to do with winter tyres unless you live right up north or in the Peaks/Lakes/Yorkshire.

I'm sure Yuri or Sergei would manage fine driving in any car here regardless of what side the steering wheel or oncoming traffic was on.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »
Netherlands is in the doghouse too, with only a little snow.

Trains come to a halt, because the tracks freeze over (really? Is that even possible?).
Roads become undrivable because of the many idiots that do not know how to "drive carefully" and end up crashing and thus blocking the roads.
Others drive too carefully, meaning you won't get anywhere fast.

Blah.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 02:09:56 PM »
No snow here, at least at sea level, although the local ski hills are busy. I have 4WD, didn't even bother to put on snow tires this year. Too busy to take the car into the shop and get it done.

The Moscow government seems very efficient at removing snow. However, dumping snow in the local river or seashore or lake is against the law in many places in the US and Canada. 
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 02:24:37 PM »
However, dumping snow in the local river or seashore or lake is against the law in many places in the US and Canada.

Is that due to flooding concerns or contamination? 

I did wonder when it said they mix the snow with sewage....  ???

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 02:32:59 PM »
No snow here, at least at sea level, although the local ski hills are busy. I have 4WD, didn't even bother to put on snow tires this year. Too busy to take the car into the shop and get it done.

The Moscow government seems very efficient at removing snow. However, dumping snow in the local river or seashore or lake is against the law in many places in the US and Canada.

To my, albeit, limited knowledge of snow dumps in Moscow, there are certified places where snow is dumped waiting for melt, so as to avoid flooding and contamination.

Hope this helps you..
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 02:35:15 PM »
However, dumping snow in the local river or seashore or lake is against the law in many places in the US and Canada.

Mixing snow with sewage is common in many areas of Russia, it is one of the ways of stopping contamination to local water supplies or so I was informed when I questioned the practice.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »

From what I've heard on the news it has to do with contaminating the water with contaminates that might be in the snow. A couple of years ago there was a big story about all the snow that fell in Boston.

The snow was dumped in empty lots in and around Boston. The Boston media did several news stories on the garbage found in the snow mountains as they melted and stated that because of all the garbage typically found in the snow the city had decided not to dump the snow in the harbour. 
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2016, 03:06:36 PM »

I personally feel that it should become law, that when temperatures drop below +2C, from Autumn until spring, that winter tyres must be fitted on all vehicles.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2016, 03:19:01 PM »

I personally feel that it should become law, that when temperatures drop below +2C, from Autumn until spring, that winter tyres must be fitted on all vehicles.

But Gipsy that's only just occurred here in the UK apart from a few days in October and winter tyres aren't really suited for dry weather.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2016, 03:25:26 PM »

But Gipsy that's only just occurred here in the UK apart from a few days in October and winter tyres aren't really suited for dry weather.

Correct, it is only my opinion.

If such a law is implemented, I will swiftly open a tyre shop...

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2016, 04:20:09 PM »
If such a law is implemented, I will swiftly open a tyre shop...

My kinda bloke.  ;D

Its heavy here now. If it keeps up all night it will be thick by morning. I'll take a photo tomorrow.

Wifey is off the the gym early morning; I said to her if its thick, wake me up and I will take her. She reminded me she was Russian and snow is not an unusual thing. So I get a lie in followed by bacon butties.......
I apologise.
And so he should.........