The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia to Arm Afghan Forces  (Read 387 times)

Online Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Russia to Arm Afghan Forces
« on: January 14, 2016, 01:05:54 PM »
It looks like Russia will step up once again to take over what the United states will leave unfinished. :coffeeread:

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/russia-arm-afghan-forces/ri12204
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Russia to Arm Afghan Forces
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 01:12:14 PM »
It looks like Russia will step up once again to take over what the United states will leave unfinished. :coffeeread:

In Afghanistan....?? The irony!
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2016, 02:37:44 PM »

And, again, invited in by the legitimate government.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 08:33:20 PM »

And, again, invited in by the legitimate government.

I had thought China would have been first in line.

Hard to say how involved Russia will become in Afghanistan, but during my visits to Moscow,quite often I would get questioned by ex Russian military about the United states involvement there.
Really was surprised how often this would happen.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 02:31:12 AM »
Russia has demonstrated it's willingness to support in a way that China has not. Also, if you want decent weaponry at a good price then the Russians are the global fountainhead.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 06:10:14 AM »
Russia has demonstrated it's willingness to support in a way that China has not. Also, if you want decent weaponry at a good price then the Russians are the global fountainhead.

I'd imagine they'd only be ordering spare parts for the AK47s that the Russians left behind last time.

Those guns last forever, even out in the desert!
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 04:21:22 AM »

I'd imagine they'd only be ordering spare parts for the AK47s that the Russians left behind last time.

They may last forever but there's village factories across Afghanistan turning them out already. No need for Russian additions to small arms.
But,  yes,  the possibility of doing manufacture on this level is due to the efficiency of the original design. It is not so much a weapon as an appliance for delivering bullets at high speed.  ;)

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 04:47:25 AM »

They may last forever but there's village factories across Afghanistan turning them out already. No need for Russian additions to small arms.
But,  yes,  the possibility of doing manufacture on this level is due to the efficiency of the original design. It is not so much a weapon as an appliance for delivering bullets at high speed.  ;)

This is again another way for Russia to reduce its ex-soviet stockpile.
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen