The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Dirty Barrel Revisited  (Read 5599 times)

Online Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
The Dirty Barrel Revisited
« on: January 12, 2016, 05:28:58 AM »
Mod note: This topic was started from off topic comments here

Funny thing is that we tend to give advice based on our own experience.  We forget that other people have very different experiences to our own.

I married a woman 20 years my junior who spoke little English.  To many here that appears ridiculous - especially to Steve.  I will soon be posting my sad story in the train wreck board...

Well not so.  Married more than a dozen years and 2 children  :thumbsup:

There are many ways of succeeding in this enterprise.  Not just the one that happened to you.

Totally agree.

I get where Steve is coming from but telling a 29 year old guy that it's difficult finding a girl under 27 is terrible advice. A 29 year old bloke should be able to chat up a girl in her 20's no problem.......and travelling to Ukraine, Russia or Australia doesn't change that rule.

If she likes you, she likes you.......and that might even be in Ukraine.
Indeed, as if Ukrainian women were some kind of lesser animal.
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: The Dirty Barrel Revisited
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 08:37:26 AM »

No matter how tough things are in Ukraine - the ladies are still going to be impressed by a guy who has brains, ain't bad looking and isn't a 'nutter'

My elder daughter is approaching the age of the ladies we are discussing and her ma had already given birth to her.... these are not teenagers we are referring to ..there are omen that know what they want and know they can be choosy

Years ago, certain parts of Russia had lousy reputations for places to date, then it was Lugansk, followed by Odesa.

Many good women are jaded by the dating scene and it might take a little extra effort to find a good 'un...

Those who recommend staying away from Ukraine are may be really  saying - more guys go there and make asses of themselves - making it harder for those that will follow (:)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 08:45:04 AM »
Also agree that first you need to find a lady that you are into and is also into you!  The country she is from comes as part of the package be it Ukraine, Russia or elsewhere.  Many FSU families are scattered over many modern day countries, meaning family live and work in both Russia and Ukraine.  If you marry such a lady then your continuing adventure will include visits to both countries into your future life together.  So again look for the lady and worry about the where from once you find love from where ever.

That's certainly true.

However, it is pretty likely that almost any 'profile' on an online dating site where the 'profile' indicates a preference for older, foreign guys - particularity where the site is, itself, aimed at those same older foreigners is likely to be bogus.

For those with the resources to be able to effectively network with real people, in their own environment matters are certainly a little more open. However almost none of us hae those resources and, even if we did have them, the chances are that right now one is going to be finding oneself in the company of those who are making a compromise such that place is at least as important as person.

Reality check - that's how people are.
At least in person one can be reasonably sure that one is dealing with a real person and that she is f the opposite gender. At least one person, a former poster here, may not have been quite so fortunate.

Opportunistic greed mixed with a little desperation and quite a bit of laziness makes for a powerful combination when it comes to deluding a poor old goat (and even a young one!)

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 11:05:29 AM »
bb, I think that it is true to say that even those fortunate to still have work are well aware of what is coming along.

Those who are immune to the travails of the country have absolutely no need to be looking at foreign blokes with an urge to wed a woman with a Russian accent. Again, that's a matter of resources.

There's always the poor bints looking for a way out. Tell us, just how would you suggest to our hero that he, as a non-Russian speaker with negligible cultural radar and no network of friends and contacts, manage to find the paragon - the woman who is entirely happy with her life in Ukraine but is willing to move country with a man who does not speak her language or know her culture for love?

My guess is that such a one is to be found only in mental institutions, gibbering to her best friend and sole companion, her strait jacket, about something she saw on TV when she was a child.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 11:20:40 AM »
Also agree that first you need to find a lady that you are into and is also into you!  The country she is from comes as part of the package be it Ukraine, Russia or elsewhere.  Many FSU families are scattered over many modern day countries, meaning family live and work in both Russia and Ukraine.  If you marry such a lady then your continuing adventure will include visits to both countries into your future life together.  So again look for the lady and worry about the where from once you find love from where ever.

That's certainly true.

However, it is pretty likely that almost any 'profile' on an online dating site where the 'profile' indicates a preference for older, foreign guys - particularity where the site is, itself, aimed at those same older foreigners is likely to be bogus.

For those with the resources to be able to effectively network with real people, in their own environment matters are certainly a little more open. However almost none of us hae those resources and, even if we did have them, the chances are that right now one is going to be finding oneself in the company of those who are making a compromise such that place is at least as important as person.

At least in person one can be reasonably sure that one is dealing with a real person and that she is f the opposite gender. At least one person, a former poster here, may not have been quite so fortunate.

Opportunistic greed mixed with a little desperation and quite a bit of laziness makes for a powerful combination when it comes to deluding a poor old goat (and even a young one!)

For Ukraine 8 out of every 10 women under 30 are fakes I know for a fact , I get sick and tired of deleting young fake women from Ukraine 24/7 they arrive non stop, delete a few the next arrive.
Its so bad we are about 2 weeks away from re vamping our Ukrainian site at the moment and there will be NO women under 30 when were finished its easier..
From my experience over a fair few years if your a young guy searching for a FSU women stay well away from Ukraine especially if your new to it.
Of course I'm not saying you cannot find a young Ukrainian women , but if your new on the scene don't make problems for yourself in Ukraine, most young women are on the take.

If anyone here disputes this , then I ask them a simple question? Does anyone on this forum know of anyone recently who has met and married a young women from Ukraine , 24/25/26/27/28 years old?

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online Dogsoldier

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 01:00:38 PM »

That's certainly true.

For Ukraine 8 out of every 10 women under 30 are fakes I know for a fact , I get sick and tired of deleting young fake women from Ukraine 24/7 they arrive non stop, delete a few the next arrive.
Its so bad we are about 2 weeks away from re vamping our Ukrainian site at the moment and there will be NO women under 30 when were finished its easier..
From my experience over a fair few years if your a young guy searching for a FSU women stay well away from Ukraine especially if your new to it.
Of course I'm not saying you cannot find a young Ukrainian women , but if your new on the scene don't make problems for yourself in Ukraine, most young women are on the take.

If anyone here disputes this , then I ask them a simple question? Does anyone on this forum know of anyone recently who has met and married a young women from Ukraine , 24/25/26/27/28 years old?
My wife was 29 when I met her. Does that count?
And no, she wasn't on the take.... As you so freely label UKR women.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 01:07:38 PM »

That's certainly true.

Lucky you  :) I didn't say it impossible just not easy. How many others then?  One so far ?

And I still stick to what I said most Ukrainian women under 30 signed up to dating sites for foreign guys ARE on the take..

And 99.5% of any model looking Ukrainian women on any site under 30 is also a fake.. :)

Offline NS1

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 02:14:22 PM »

That's certainly true.

Lucky you  :) I didn't say it impossible just not easy. How many others then?  One so far ?

And I still stick to what I said most Ukrainian women under 30 signed up to dating sites for foreign guys ARE on the take..

And 99.5% of any model looking Ukrainian women on any site under 30 is also a fake.. :)
Maybe thats your site??
I suspect not 99% of all under 30 that would consider it were on the take.
I dated one who was not, she was a little crazy, but not in it for the money
or she would be here now. I met a few others for the right guy would leave Ukraine.
I suspect 98% of all women on certain dating sites from anywhere could be on the take, but thats a different conversation.

“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”
Malcom X

Online Dogsoldier

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 02:29:47 PM »

That's certainly true.

I certainly don't think its uncommon. My wife has come to know many UKR ( and RUS, BEL) women in the UK over the past few years who would fit that age bracket. All of them are most certainly not on the take.
All I would say is, perhaps it takes a thief to know a thief. Read into that what you will.  :'(

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 02:45:26 PM »

That's certainly true.

I certainly don't think its uncommon. My wife has come to know many UKR ( and RUS, BEL) women in the UK over the past few years who would fit that age bracket. All of them are most certainly not on the take.
All I would say is, perhaps it takes a thief to know a thief. Read into that what you will.  :'(

Im a thief now  :chuckle: Well what ever...

Online Dogsoldier

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 02:48:54 PM »

That's certainly true.

Sigh......

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 04:10:23 PM »
bb, I think that it is true to say that even those fortunate to still have work are well aware of what is coming along.

Those who are immune to the travails of the country have absolutely no need to be looking at foreign blokes with an urge to wed a woman with a Russian accent. Again, that's a matter of resources.

It's certainly safe to say that if one is an ex-pat living in Estonia, and who has never (IIRC) set foot in Ukraine.

Tell us, just how would you suggest to our hero that he, as a non-Russian speaker with negligible cultural radar and no network of friends and contacts...

I have already addressed the first issue by advising him to learn as much Russian as he can.  I would also recommend developing assets on the ground in whichever country that he undertakes his search--one of the reasons for joining the board, one imagines.

...manage to find the paragon - the woman who is entirely happy with her life in Ukraine but is willing to move country with a man who does not speak her language or know her culture for love?

As for culture and language, as I have already advised, best to bone up on it.

Actually, I know a number of women in Ukraine who are happy with their lives, but who would be willing to move country for the right man.... 

My guess is that such a one is to be found only in mental institutions, gibbering to her best friend and sole companion, her strait jacket, about something she saw on TV when she was a child.

...none of whom are inhabitants of mental institutions.

Of course feel free to gainsay me based on...what?  Tell us again of your voluminous experience, on the ground, in Ukraine? 

[Crickets]

Oh, right, that would be zero.

Thank you for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts, etc.

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 06:22:58 PM »

That's certainly true.

Sigh......

You may of fooled most people around yourself by being married! But soon enough you will come out of the closet, its in your genes  :)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 10:10:37 PM »
Bb, please,  tell us what you were getting at?

Was it that the burgeoning economy of Ukraine means that everyone is secure in their lives?

Was it that every lonely man seeking a woman with a 'sexy' accent has loads of money,  time,  social skills and learns language fluency in days rather than years?

How is it going with your multi decade search for a woman willing to spend more than a day or two in your company?
How come none of the women you have met have been up to the task of spending a life with you? Could it be that I am right and that you at some level understand that to be so?

If you are correct,  surely at least one of these women is currently wearing a wedding ring and looking at her prenuptial with your name on it?

But no,  you are still alone,  you have not been able to find the mythical beast that you tell us exists and,  one might expect,  you are likely among the better resourced among wife hunters.

If you,  with literally decades of fruitless searching, have yet to secure your goal what chance a bloke with less of your wondrous resources,  skills and knowledge?

Stop with the fairytale lies and crap bb.

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2016, 11:35:37 PM »
Was it that the burgeoning economy of Ukraine means that everyone is secure in their lives?

Not everybody.  But certainly more than you seem to think...again based on your wealth of experience in Ukrai...oh, right, sorry.

How is it going with your multi decade search for a woman willing to spend more than a day or two in your company?

Ah, and now we've come to it.  You can't quit me, Fi.  I realize that my happiness rankles you, but so it is.  Only you can fix that not I...which is lucky, because I continue to be sunny-natured and joyful and have no plans to change.  ;D 

But no,  you are still alone,  you have not been able to find the mythical beast that you tell us exists and,  one might expect,  you are likely among the better resourced among wife hunters.

I'ma actually spoiled for choice.  :chuckle:  I am quite happy with the women who love me, Fi...the difficulty would be in choosing just one.  I come and go as I please and I date who I please and I'm on nobody's timetable other than my own.  :king:

If you,  with literally decades of fruitless searching, have yet to secure your goal what chance a bloke with less of your wondrous resources,  skills and knowledge?

I realize that you are desperate for me to be unhappy, if only to make yourself feel better.  You must certainly be used to disappointment in that regard, by now.

Stop with the fairytale lies and crap bb.

Fi.  Old chap.  Your bitterness is palpable.  I'm sorry your life did not, evidently, turn out as you had hoped, but really, we have two choices in life: to be happy, or to be unhappy...why not join those of us on the sunny side of the street?  As I have pointed out, numerous times, you are in unique position to be helpful to new members--well, not about Ukraine, anyway, but certainly about that bit of life in the FSU that you know about--yet here you are, spoiling yet another's n00b's thread with your obession with me.  It's got to stop, Fi.  It's an unhealthy way for you to spend your remaining years.  Get out and enjoy life more..while you can.

B/B

Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.