The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Russian Dream..  (Read 15191 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: The Russian Dream..
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2016, 11:05:46 AM »

Like our forum sofa surfing itinerant?

Care to be specific as to who you might be alluding ... ?   :chuckle:

If you find that cap fits, feel free to wear it.  tiphat

You walked right on to this - I posted what your comment would be as an email to myself   :chuckle:

You aren't normally backward in coming forward -perhaps you are being careful ? )))))

Perhaps I simply dont have the spare time to spend hours and e-ink bickering with you.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #101 on: August 26, 2016, 06:17:13 AM »
Sorry, very busy week and haven't had the time o post. I will try to catch up on some things as they appear, but let's start here:

and quickly just to add, I also refer to opportunities. For example, I have a teaching acquaintance who lives in Kazan and is rather busy all things considered for Kazan. While she charges about 25% less than I do for private individuals, I have triple the clients.

And if we factor in business client potential, well, it's not even close. Opportunities my man, opportunities.

Opportunities are abundant in Russia, that's for sure...

Teaching though, is not my cuppa....
OK, but 99% of the people who come to Russia will not have many options. 

We're talking about people who will not be transferred with a company and will have few if any contacts.

If you know of any wonderful opportunities for people that remove all the obstacles involved please tell them, because believe me, there are more people interested in doing this that lurk or don't post much on this forum and that is our focus here. Honestly, I don't see many other options considering. We are also talking about people who will not speak the language to any degree.

Teaching might be your or anyone's cup of tea, but it will be the only job the above described person will have that provides the best of all worlds; having steady income, gives one a visa to stay year round, and offers one the ability to meet people who will share a common language and expedite their transition. No other option will afford one this, which is kinda the point of my posts.

It wasn't my cup of tea, but TBH, it has far exceeded what I thought it would be, and I mean far exceeded. I can't tell you how many influential people I have met, not to mention all the other great people I have come in contact with through teaching. Never in my wildest dreams did I think what has happened would happen.

Part of the problem is that people have no idea of all the dynamics of teaching, and have a big misconception of all the possibilities teaching offers. I read it here all the time.

Getting back to our personal conversation, the average Russian worker makes about 25-40K rubles a month. You can bump that up to 50-60K in Moscow. I, as a teacher, make 3-4 times the Moscow cap on average. Can you suggest another job to people interested in relocating to Russia (FSU) where one can make this kind of money and secure a year round visa without having any contacts, or even with contacts and be able to meet like minded people who share your mother tongue?

I also pointed out how Moscow affords someone more opportunities for business as opposed to other cities as I make 80% more than people doing the same thing in other cities. 

Now I'm not trying to be a twit, just realistic. My posts are to give the average punter an idea what he can expect and what the best possibilities are, our situations notwithstanding.

Keep in mind we're talking about people with very little experience living here. Things can and will change after time and then a person can find other outlets to help him achieve his goals, but initially, his options will be very limited.
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #102 on: August 26, 2016, 06:22:49 AM »
While it used to be possible for unvisa'd, unqualified, untrained, itinerants to get paid employment in Russia, even in Moscow, is that still true today?

TBAH, Dan is probably the best person to respond to this question...

The un-knowledgeable would probably suggest, that whilst this would be difficult to do in Moscow or St P's these days, the outer, and more far flung places would probably be thrilled to accept anyone who is a natural born English speaker as a teacher, without any relevant qualifications..
I imagine in the far reaches of Russia, simply being a native will suffice.

The landscape has changed over the years from its heyday (2005-09) when it seemed like a new language school was popping up on every corner and teachers were in big demand and schools would bend on the qualifications.

Really, though, most schools require a university degree at least, but that can be overlooked if a person has other qualities that are consistent with the job.

The last 2 recessions have taken a toll not only of the amount of schools available, but the number of teachers available as well. Many school have closed shop, and many teachers have left town.

I think it's a good time because the demand for English is still strong, yet the supply of teachers has dwindled considerably.

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #103 on: August 26, 2016, 06:31:05 AM »
While it used to be possible for unvisa'd, unqualified, untrained, itinerants to get paid employment in Russia, even in Moscow, is that still true today?

TBAH, Dan is probably the best person to respond to this question...

The un-knowledgeable would probably suggest, that whilst this would be difficult to do in Moscow or St P's these days, the outer, and more far flung places would probably be thrilled to accept anyone who is a natural born English speaker as a teacher, without any relevant qualifications..

Or lover  :chuckle:  I think it would be pretty easy for an English guy to move in with some lady as a toy boy or something , well it would get you a bed and roof over your head , its a start...
Not as easy as you say, but possible.

I can say that I have met my fair share of RW with an apt (and car), but not until I started teaching.

That being said, you will need to offer these girls more than just companionship and a stiff one though that's for sure.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2016, 06:31:28 AM »
Sorry, very busy week and haven't had the time o post. I will try to catch up on some things as they appear, but let's start here:

and quickly just to add, I also refer to opportunities. For example, I have a teaching acquaintance who lives in Kazan and is rather busy all things considered for Kazan. While she charges about 25% less than I do for private individuals, I have triple the clients.

And if we factor in business client potential, well, it's not even close. Opportunities my man, opportunities.

We're talking about people who will not be transferred with a company and will have few if any contacts.

If you know of any wonderful opportunities for people that remove all the obstacles involved please tell them, because believe me, there are more people interested in doing this that lurk or don't post much on this forum and that is our focus here. Honestly, I don't see many other options considering. We are also talking about people who will not speak the language to any degree.

Teaching might be your or anyone's cup of tea, but it will be the only job the above described person will have that provides the best of all worlds; having steady income, gives one a visa to stay year round, and offers one the ability to meet people who will share a common language and expedite their transition. No other option will afford one this, which is kinda the point of my posts.

It wasn't my cup of tea, but TBH, it has far exceeded what I thought it would be, and I mean far exceeded. I can't tell you how many influential people I have met, not to mention all the other great people I have come in contact with through teaching. Never in my wildest dreams did I think what has happened would happen.

Part of the problem is that people have no idea of all the dynamics of teaching, and have a big misconception of all the possibilities teaching offers. I read it here all the time.

Getting back to our personal conversation, the average Russian worker makes about 25-40K rubles a month. You can bump that up to 50-60K in Moscow. I, as a teacher, make 3-4 times the Moscow on average. Can you suggest another job to people interested in relocating to Russia (FSU) where one can make this kind of money and secure a year round visa without having any contacts, or even with contacts and be able to meet like minded people who share your mother tongue?

I also pointed out how Moscow affords someone more opportunities for business as opposed to other cities as I make 80% more than people doing the same thing in other cities. 

Now I'm not trying to be a twit, just realistic. My posts are to give the average punter an idea what he can expect and what the best possibilities are, our situations notwithstanding.

Keep in mind we're talking about people with very little experience living here. Things can and will change after time and then a person can find other outlets to help him achieve his goals, but initially, his options will be very limited.

Im just being nosey here, you know the British are always nosey  :) So thats about 150/200,000 roubles a month?

I have no idea what any other foreigners earn in Russia...
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #105 on: August 26, 2016, 06:34:28 AM »

Im just being nosey here, you know the British are always nosey  :)

No, they're not ..YOU are..

The British are reserved..  Are you sure you aren't Irish ?  :chuckle:
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #106 on: August 26, 2016, 06:36:47 AM »
a nosey Brit aye?  :chuckle: nose around your inbox and be respectful to my request.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #107 on: August 26, 2016, 06:41:19 AM »
a nosey Brit aye?  :chuckle: nose around your inbox and be respectful to my request.

Everyone is nosey in the UK , you should try living in a small English village with a population of 1500!!  :laugh:

Offline Danchik

• Russia Guru
« Reply #108 on: August 26, 2016, 07:16:46 AM »
Gipsy, thanks for your comment. I was not being critical of Dan and I realised that it might have seemed that I was being so. This was not my intent. Very few people have done as he has done.
No offense taken and you're right, few have done or will do what I have done, but people are looking for different things in life.

No one has to do what I have done to be successful here, as others might find more success in other ways. One thing Russia has taught me is to not always look only for what's in for me or think in material terms. A serious flaw in many Americans these days and in days gone by.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #109 on: August 26, 2016, 09:59:33 AM »

Getting back to our personal conversation, the average Russian worker makes about 25-40K rubles a month. You can bump that up to 50-60K in Moscow. I, as a teacher, make 3-4 times the Moscow cap on average. Can you suggest another job to people interested in relocating to Russia (FSU) where one can make this kind of money and secure a year round visa without having any contacts, or even with contacts and be able to meet like minded people who share your mother tongue?

Dan, I was not disagreeing with you whatsoever....

Everything you wrote is just about right on.....
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #110 on: August 26, 2016, 10:01:38 AM »

Me??
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #111 on: August 30, 2016, 07:33:01 PM »
One thing Russia has taught me is to not always look only for what's in for me or think in material terms. A serious flaw in many Americans these days and in days gone by.

This was not always the reality, but sadly today America is a seriously flawed society in the above.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #112 on: September 09, 2016, 09:26:19 AM »
An interesting article for expats returning home, where ever home is..I thought home is where the heart is :)

I know for 100% I shall never return to the Uk to live..

http://theweek.com/articles/637911/lived-korea-5-years-heres-what-happened-when-came-home-nebraska

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member

Offline Contrarian

• Trips: 1-5

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2017, 12:39:13 PM »

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2017, 09:52:43 AM »
Russia will be a dream for everyone soon! Its easy to see why...

https://www.rt.com/uk/386825-transgender-mp-election-labour/

Who wants to live in a communist country run by Transgenders ? Of course I have nothing against transgenders and I don't give a shit what people do, for all I care people can do what they want. But soon enough the minority will be dictating to the majority..

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #117 on: May 03, 2017, 10:39:46 AM »
Last time I checked the uK  still had a right of centre govt.....

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Contrarian

« Reply #118 on: May 03, 2017, 12:11:54 PM »
Russia will be a dream for everyone soon! Its easy to see why...

https://www.rt.com/uk/386825-transgender-mp-election-labour/

Who wants to live in a communist country run by Transgenders ? Of course I have nothing against transgenders and I don't give a shit what people do, for all I care people can do what they want. But soon enough the minority will be dictating to the majority..

The part I bolded is the problem and it's been happening over here for the past couple of decades. Majority rules is the best way, aliens can move to Mars.  ;D