The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Russian Dream..  (Read 15186 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
The Russian Dream..
« on: January 09, 2016, 01:21:19 PM »
Now is the best time for any guys to relocate to Russia for the Russian Dream  :)

http://www.pravdareport.com/society/stories/05-11-2015/132508-russian_dream-0/

Thousands do each and every year but you probably just don't realise it. Forget the American dream, the land of milk and honey is finished. Its time to look East to the Russian Dream.

Advantages:

1. Get away from big brother.

2. Take life easy and stress free.

3. No need to spend thousands on trips searching for women. They're on your doorstep :8)

4. Great weather in the summer...

Disadvantages:

1. Cold winters.

2. ????

3. ???

4. Not so easy to find work especially at the moment  :( But what the hell I made it on a £50.00 budget. A positive attitude is all you need.

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline yankee

Re: The Russian Dream..
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 01:23:55 PM »
Now is the best time for any guys to relocate to Russia for the Russian Dream  :)

Thousands do each and every year but you probably just don't realise it. Forget the American dream, the land of milk and honey is finished. Its time to look East to the Russian Dream.

Advantages:

3. No need to spend thousands on trips searching for women. There on your doorstep :8)

Disadvantages:

1. Cold winters.

2. ????

3. ???

4. Not so easy to find work especially at the moment  :( But what the hell I made it on a £50.00 budget. A positive attitude is all you need.

Not many golf courses!
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 01:26:47 PM »

Advantages:

3. No need to spend thousands on trips searching for women. There on your doorstep :8)

Disadvantages:

1. Cold winters.

2. ????

3. ???

Not many golf courses!

Who told you that?

Offline yankee

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 01:44:14 PM »

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

1. Cold winters.

2. ????

3. ???

Not many golf courses!

Who told you that?

My eyes.  the Vyatka area (Kirov)

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 01:47:35 PM »

Advantages:

Disadvantages:

1. Cold winters.

2. ????

3. ???

Not many golf courses!

No but plenty of slender educated girls. Win some lose some!

EDIT: What's is like playing golf in 6inches of snow?
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline yankee

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 01:51:01 PM »
according to Wikipedia, one could count the number of courses (and planned courses) without using the 21st finger.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 12:58:07 AM »
Great country if you like art of the 19th and early 20th century.

Horrible if you are challenged by Modern & Post War Art.

If you speak Russian wonderful.

If you do not tough.

You MUST like vodka, beets and cabbage (not necessarily in that order)
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 01:07:42 AM »
Great country if you like art of the 19th and early 20th century.

Horrible if you are challenged by Modern & Post War Art.

If you speak Russian wonderful.

If you do not tough.

You MUST like vodka, beets and cabbage (not necessarily in that order)

Whats wrong with beets and cabbage ? :chuckle: Its like saying if you want to relocate to the US you must like hamburgers and french fries  :)

Online AvHdB

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2016, 02:53:03 AM »
Its like saying if you want to relocate to the US you must like hamburgers and french fries  :)

:sick0012:  UGH!

Forget to mention guys and girls need to learn to take a dumpski squatting.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2016, 02:54:44 AM »
according to Wikipedia, one could count the number of courses (and planned courses) without using the 21st finger.

If Donald become president that will change! American Imperialism takes over  :-X

Just don't tell Manny.  :Zzzzsleep:

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2016, 04:18:36 AM »
playing golf in snow is great if you use coloured balls, and make a very,very small snow plow of the green to the hole  :biggrin:

Offline redroo

• Spouses Country: FSU
  • Trips: Semi-Resident
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2016, 05:06:15 AM »
Come on Steve, you need to be more honest on the disadvantages.....there's plenty more starting with Police you can't trust, courts that can be bought or pressured, drivers who refuse to follow any known rules, workmen who lack any regulation of training/workmanship or customer service, no such thing as customer service...anywhere, face control, hot water being turned off in summer, current import restrictions, Soviet era planes and airlines that employee Russian maintenance workers, alcohol fueled violence, soccer matches unsafe to spectate unless a racist skinhead, gay friends getting beat to a pulp, women who "don't" smoke (but do  :'(), no-one gives a hoot about littering, girlfriends who think if they keeping driving without their seatbelts long enough the warning alarms will become less annoying  :fighting0025: ........etc etc

but having survived living in Ekaterinburg in the recent past, I can agree with you on your advantages 1,3 and 4, , and add plenty more.....

lack of PC "nazis", majority not ruled by "Facebook" minority rule, feminine women, wonderful fresh/flavorsome berries, tomatoes, cucumbers, ability to buy vegies from "granny" on the corner, dacha's, banya's, freedom to camp in forests and besides lakes and streams, freedom to use snow mobiles, being able to free skate, few law suits, low maintenance friends, summer promenades, every "puddle" being a summer sunbathing spot for models in gstrings, real wood bbq's, plenty of slavic foods and salads, few "planning" issues when renovating, no "Ministry of Anti-fun", cheap mobile phone plans, they had "uber" before Uber (gypsy cabs anyone?) .......  :thumbsup:

I enjoyed my years there in the main, but when choosing where to raise my son there was no contest....

back to Oz, with winter holidays spent "summering" a second time back in Russia/Ukraine

:)

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 09:58:51 AM »
Steveboy you've got to keep up with the news. One of the advantages of living in Russia is NOT getting away from 'Big Brother', #1 on your list. The Russian government monitors the Internet, telephone and social media at least as well as any US government security service and international signals intelligence groups such as the Five Eyes.

The legislation that allows the FSB and I'd guess any other Russian security service to monitor Russian citizen's lives is called SORM Система Оперативно-Розыскных Мероприятий, literally "System for Operative Investigative Activities".

Russian internet service providers are required by law to install the necessary tech, at the ISPs cost, to allow the security services to monitor the Internet. I'm sure the ISPs eventually pass on the cost to their customers.

In the end Steveboy, moving to Russia is just exchanging one 'Big Brother' for another 'Big Brother'. Sorry to crush your dream.
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 10:10:10 AM »
Steveboy you've got to keep up with the news. One of the advantages of living in Russia is NOT getting away from 'Big Brother', #1 on your list. The Russian government monitors the Internet, telephone and social media at least as well as any US government security service and international signals intelligence groups such as the Five Eyes.

The legislation that allows the FSB and I'd guess any other Russian security service to monitor Russian citizen's lives is called SORM Система Оперативно-Розыскных Мероприятий, literally "System for Operative Investigative Activities".

Russian internet service providers are required by law to install the necessary tech, at the ISPs cost, to allow the security services to monitor the Internet. I'm sure the ISPs eventually pass on the cost to their customers.

In the end Steveboy, moving to Russia is just exchanging one 'Big Brother' for another 'Big Brother'. Sorry to crush your dream.

My dream is far from crushed :)  Everything is perfect for me, my only regret is I wish I never left the UK many many years ago. I hear often hear the same story from many others also who managed to escape the shackles of society  :)  Another one of my close friends from the same village in the UK is following my footsteps this year..

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2016, 02:17:27 PM »
Don't worry Westcoast, the world is not as you think. As in many other countries this legislation exists but there has been a lot of discussion about this.

The government gave undertakings about the use and purpose of the legislation.

While people might, with reason, not like the legislation it is directly analogous to that seen in,  for example, the UK. The benefit of legislation is that it provides for limits that can be enforced. The US, for example, on the other hand is intrusive but there is little to no way to control the activity of the observers when legislation does not exist because how does one prosecute that which has no controlling legislation.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2016, 05:16:23 PM »
Don't worry Westcoast, the world is not as you think.

I doubt any of us understand the behind the scenes machinations of state level politics and how the security services, be they American, European or Russian, truly work. However, as I repeatedly shown I have a far better understanding of the real world than you ever will.

As in many other countries this legislation exists but there has been a lot of discussion about this.

Perhaps there's been discussion, I certainly didn't see much at least in the English language media.

The government gave undertakings about the use and purpose of the legislation.

Since Russia is one of the most corrupt countries in Europe I wouldn't put much trust in any assurances from the Russian government.

While people might, with reason, not like the legislation it is directly analogous to that seen in,  for example, the UK. The benefit of legislation is that it provides for limits that can be enforced.

Do you really believe if Putin ordered a Russian security service to break the law that he would be held accountable by the Russian government because of this or some other legislation?

The US, for example, on the other hand is intrusive but there is little to no way to control the activity of the observers when legislation does not exist because how does one prosecute that which has no controlling legislation.

Exactly. On the Obama thread I've written repeatedly about the FBI, CIA and other US security services breaking the law without anyone being punished. You really should read my posts on the subject, most of them are great reading.   :popcorn:
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2016, 05:30:42 PM »
I could see many advantages living in any part of the FSU.
But and yes there is always a but :) Its not all peaches and creme.
nothing is, anywhere. I see many disadvantages also.
Steve if you really want to educate and help anyone thinking of
moving to Russia, you should state thee as well.
Remember not everyone has the same personality.
Some could not make a living their. ( this would be a big one for many)
So many + & - why not make two lists.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2016, 06:11:23 PM »
The burning question is whether or not there are enough comfy armchairs in Russia to go around.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 03:55:49 AM »
The burning question is whether or not there are enough comfy armchairs in Russia to go around.

:chuckle: Who for? All the old geezers from the forum?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 03:58:40 AM »
I could see many advantages living in any part of the FSU.
But and yes there is always a but :) Its not all peaches and creme.
nothing is, anywhere. I see many disadvantages also.
Steve if you really want to educate and help anyone thinking of
moving to Russia, you should state thee as well.
Remember not everyone has the same personality.
Some could not make a living their. ( this would be a big one for many)
So many + & - why not make two lists.

Its not a matter "Could not make a living" Its a matter of "Im going to do this"  Of course thats if you wanted to do it. The rest is up to you the same for all in life, if you really want something in life as captain kirk would say "Make it happen" :)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 04:02:39 AM »
Westcoast, I claim no particular expertise,  except to think and learn, sadly you have yet to demonstrate that what you read from the first result on any given Google search translates,  for you, into learning.

I  am always open to a surprise though!

As your Google knowledge did not show you, in Russia there has been public disquiet about some aspects of recent Russian legislation. As a result of that disquiet the government made some clarifications and undertakings specifically to address those concerns.

I am sure that people like you who do not yet know how email works and who do not trouble themselves to learn will not have been satisfied. But then, there's no known cure for idiocy as your most recent carers can attest.

The problem is that there is a genuine issue in respect of understanding what forces of evil are planning and implementing. Some ability to carry out surveillance is essential.

In Russia, fortunately, the government and leadership has huge popular support and thus trust. This makes it possible to undertake activities in a pretty open manner.

None of this matters for unemployed Canadians wedged into  their vulgalour Lazboys.

As is always the case items of choosing where to live, when one chooses to exercise such a choice, is a matter of compromise. Many people have found that the Russian model of relative state  disinterest in the activity of its citizens provides a level of personal freedom not found on the North American continent. On the downside, some aspects of life are less congenial.

As one who has not made such a choice, with knowledge based only upon what you are told to think, there's not really much that you can reasonably contribute to such a discussion apart from amateur level trolling.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline TomT

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 08:25:29 AM »

Yes, the moribund old geezers.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 08:35:30 AM »

There could be another problem there is no Coronation Street or Eastenders the UK lot, I know some people cannot survive without the daily soap update:)

Offline Dogsoldier

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Україна
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 09:04:30 AM »

There could be another problem there is no Coronation Street or Eastenders the UK lot, I know some people cannot survive without the daily soap update:)
What, no satellite tv in Rossiya?
Moby can sort that out, surely?

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 09:20:44 AM »

What, no satellite tv in Rossiya?
Moby can sort that out, surely?

I have Cable and Netflix but can't find Corrie or Eastenders any where.. not that i want to watch that rubbish anyway :chuckle: