The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Bizarre train journey - are we in Russia or Ukraine  (Read 618 times)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Bizarre train journey - are we in Russia or Ukraine
« on: January 09, 2016, 03:41:36 AM »
Took the train from Sochi to Moscow with SC

I have been warned by many folks that this is something you'd only want to do once - but I loved it..

We had a 4 berth 'coupe' and it's pot luck who you get as company.

I was certain the train went through Ukraine north of Rostov and it DOES  ?!

Our train stopped for a few minutes at this place..It was called Chertkovo on the Russian side.I recognised the place from a Beeb article. [ see south on attached map]

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34066101

The couple sharing with us were from Krasnodar - we had two guys from Sochi to there.

Yuri bought Kolbasa -we were looking for beer... but there wasn't any on board to be bought..

We were not allowed off the train - just to buy stuff. As we pulled off, I started taking video out of the window. ..thinking the road was in Ukraine..not realising the TRAIN was going in and out of Ukraine. :o

At one point - the line is nearly 5km IN Ukraine - Kharkiv/ Kharhkov region

There IS no visible barrier and I spotted ONE soldier standing in an alleyway between Cherkovo and Milove ... I could not say of which nation .I saw UA flags on the UA side...

This region is clearly under Kyiv control and the bus stops were painted blue and yellow.

I thought it bizarre that the line went so far into Ukraine.

In the light of the situation, further south  - It all seemed surreal.

Who maintains the railway - when in Ukraine ? I'm guessing this is one area where it is important-for now - keep good relations.

The best news ? As I stopped filming the desolate lightly snow covered region..A seller who boarded the train at Chertkovo, had beers for sale - Baltika 7 and we enjoyed a good lunch.

SC took the photo - of Yuri and I ..it is dark.. as it turns out we were in Ukraine  :chuckle: