The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Reciprocal healthcare agreements cancelled as of 1st January 2016  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
The reciprocal healthcare agreements with the following countries were terminated on January 1 2016:

Armenia
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Georgia
Kazakhstan
Kyrgyzstan
Moldova
Russia
Tajikistan
Turkmenistan
Ukraine
Uzbekistan

I heard about a Russian ladies mum who came to the UK for Christmas and had to be admitted to hospital by ambulance with asthmatic problems, she was in hospital for 3 days, normally coming from a country with reciprocal healthcare agreements with UK the treatment would be free of charge, but this lady has just been handed a bill for £9,000  :o

More info here

Offline WestCoast

Re: Reciprocal healthcare agreements cancelled as of 1st January 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 09:25:33 PM »
Doesn't say why. Is it somehow part of the sanctions? Is it being abused? Is it costing the UK taxpayers too much?
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 02:22:04 AM »
Yes that just about sums up the Uk. So I guess all the new arrivals, immigrants awaiting deportation/asylum seekers, foreign prisoners in the Uk will still be entitled to use the NHS free? I mean how many travellers from the countries they terminated the agreement actually use the NHS whilst in the UK very few I would guess!

Just another reason to HATE the UK  :)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 02:36:37 AM »
Actually Steve, health tourism is something of an issue for the NHS. This action is not unexpected in that context.

People who settle here, on the whole, pay national insurance contributions which pay their way in the NHS. The UK is a net beneficiary from payments from those who take up residency in the United Kingdom. Tourists, not so much.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 02:45:40 AM »
Actually Steve, health tourism is something of an issue for the NHS. This action is not unexpected in that context.

People who settle here, on the whole, pay national insurance contributions which pay their way in the NHS. The UK is a net beneficiary from payments from those who take up residency in the United Kingdom. Tourists, not so much.

Surely tourists do not use so much? So if I arrive via the channel tunnel/boat/back of a lorry and claim some reason to be here and there are a few hundred thousand of them , they should also be entitled to Free NHS ?

I also think it stinks that someone from Poland can arrive in the UK settle and immediately us the NHS.

Will have to make sure the wife uses her German passport should she need the NHS any time were in the UK :)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 03:42:16 AM »
Under reciprocal agreements folks arrive as tourists and the  rock up at hospital with their cancer and get full treatment.

A Pole who works in the UK is entitled to NHS care, as it should be. Immigrants to the UK are, negative propaganda to the contrary, net contributors to the national exchequer. Britons, on the other hand, are less 'profitable'. Your Pole is subsidising every born Briton.

As for asylum seekers, if you would suggest that they be left untreated to die from illness or wounds then you ain't the kind of Briton for whom I have any time.

Tourists have insurance. Immigrants pay their way. Aslylum seekers are neither case but are in the UK as part of our humanitarian duty to the world. If they are here we have a duty of compassion until their status is decided.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 03:55:00 AM »
Under reciprocal agreements folks arrive as tourists and the  rock up at hospital with their cancer and get full treatment.

A Pole who works in the UK is entitled to NHS care, as it should be. Immigrants to the UK are, negative propaganda to the contrary, net contributors to the national exchequer. Britons, on the other hand, are less 'profitable'. Your Pole is subsidising every born Briton.

As for asylum seekers, if you would suggest that they be left untreated to die from illness or wounds then you ain't the kind of Briton for whom I have any time.

Tourists have insurance. Immigrants pay their way. Aslylum seekers are neither case but are in the UK as part of our humanitarian duty to the world. If they are here we have a duty of compassion until their status is decided.

The problem with compassion is to many take advantage of it.

Slightly off topic but,

I guess in a way its like claiming social security and benefits . If you worked all your life , paid your taxes and are unfortunate enough to loose your job have you ever tried to claim benefits ?

I know a few who have when a company I worked for years ago, they made it near enough impossible to claim in fact made it so awkward you gave up and managed until you found a new job..

Of course if you never worked, your family never worked you have claimed all your working life for some reason or other the money was thrown at you no questions asked!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 06:20:16 AM »
There is always a cost to compassion. But that is what compassion is about, isn't it.

If I help you with no regard to payment or reward that is compassion.

Of course some people will take advantage of ANY situation, of any generosity, of any compassion but that is not a good reason to not be compassionate.

If as a society we accept that there is such a thing as asylum, if we accept people into our country on compassionate grounds then, at the same time, we accept that some people will take advantage of that situation. Our task as a society is to balance compassion with practicality. We do not allow all asylum seekers to stay here, for example. While they are here we can not ignore their health. If we made that choice then we might also, on the same grounds, refuse to feed them, refuse to give them water, refuse shelter. We could simply show them an empty field with a barb wire fence and leave them there. We don't do that - we are, as a society, better than that. We have a balance, one that works.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 09:48:25 AM »
There is always a cost to compassion. But that is what compassion is about, isn't it.

If I help you with no regard to payment or reward that is compassion.

Of course some people will take advantage of ANY situation, of any generosity, of any compassion but that is not a good reason to not be compassionate.

If as a society we accept that there is such a thing as asylum, if we accept people into our country on compassionate grounds then, at the same time, we accept that some people will take advantage of that situation. Our task as a society is to balance compassion with practicality. We do not allow all asylum seekers to stay here, for example. While they are here we can not ignore their health. If we made that choice then we might also, on the same grounds, refuse to feed them, refuse to give them water, refuse shelter. We could simply show them an empty field with a barb wire fence and leave them there. We don't do that - we are, as a society, better than that. We have a balance, one that works.

I think British people and British society has become to soft and generally get walked all over as of recent. Its part of the reason i left the UK and will not return.

Back on the social security thing, I was only ever unemployed for a few weeks of my life during that time I just started my Eastern European adventures, being in the EU I presumed I would be able to claim social security whilst searching for employment and decided to take up on the idea. I would claim from Estonia (Whilst looking for work)and do the monthly trip via bus to Tallinn to collect the dole cheque :) Well after lots of effort it was actually impossible to do, from my experience and what I was told Brits cannot actually do this  :laugh:

Its a funny world...