The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Spain and Italy Heaving with Russian Tourists  (Read 1345 times)

Online Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Spain and Italy Heaving with Russian Tourists
« on: January 01, 2016, 08:49:53 AM »
Money is being spent in Russia, because the ruble is not worth enough for Russians to have buying power anywhere else.

Battered Russian ruble plunges amid oil price drops

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/12/31/battered-russian-ruble-plunges-amid-oil-price-woes/78133452/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
Re: Spain and Italy Heaving with Russian Tourists
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 09:04:15 AM »
Money is being spent in Russia, because the ruble is not worth enough for Russians to have buying power anywhere else.
You say that like its a bad thing  :money:
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 10:07:02 AM »
You say that like its a bad thing  :money:

For the time being money circulating in Russia is good, but it does not give Russia outside money.

My question is what effect this is having on the Stans? For millions Russia has been the primary source for income. Lower value of the ruble is devastating to their economy. If the stans feel Russia is no longer able to help support their economies, will they in turn look to the west to partner with?
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 03:17:32 PM »

I am in Barcelona at the moment and it is heaving with Russians. Even the restaurants have Russian menus. Looks like Spain is sucking up some of the Turkey/Egypt traffic. The Roubles obviously buy enough Euros for them to get by here. And it isn't an especially cheap city to play in.

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 03:33:03 PM »

I am in Barcelona at the moment and it is heaving with Russians. Even the restaurants have Russian menus. Looks like Spain is sucking up some of the Turkey/Egypt traffic. The Roubles obviously buy enough Euros for them to get by here. And it isn't an especially cheap city to play in.

Of course the rich have no problem with travel.
But on the whole Russians are not traveling as much.

Russians are making far fewer vacation trips abroad

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/09/news/economy/russian-tourists-foreign-trips/

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 03:43:12 PM »

Of course the rich have no problem with travel.
But on the whole Russians are not traveling as much.

Russians are making far fewer vacation trips abroad

http://money.cnn.com/2015/12/09/news/economy/russian-tourists-foreign-trips/

I am not seeing "the rich" here, I am seeing regular people. I saw similar - but to a lesser extent - a few days ago in Napoli.

When I say restaurants have Russian menus out, I don't just mean top end places, street front cafes too. They are everywhere. You cant go five minutes without hearing spoken Russian in the street. Something I wasn't expecting actually. I would expect Greece to see more tourists from Russia than Spain.

Don't believe everything you read in western media (but you know that already TC).

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 01:58:34 PM »

Manny surely you know Spain has always been popular with Russians. Years ago when Spain was doing well financially Russians flocked to Spain to live and work because Spain needed the workers not to mention the weather's better in Spain than in Moscow.

When the economy went south many Russians stayed and worked, some legally and others off the books. Then of course there's the 'Golden Visa' for those with a few dollars, it makes immigrating to Spain easier.

Those are the Russians you're probably running into, Russians who have lived in Spain for years, not those stuck in Russia because the exchange rate makes travel to the EU too expensive.
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 02:26:27 PM »

Manny surely you know Spain has always been popular with Russians. Years ago when Spain was doing well financially Russians flocked to Spain to live and work because Spain needed the workers not to mention the weather's better in Spain than in Moscow.

When the economy went south many Russians stayed and worked, some legally and others off the books. Then of course there's the 'Golden Visa' for those with a few dollars, it makes immigrating to Spain easier.

Those are the Russians you're probably running into, Russians who have lived in Spain for years, not those stuck in Russia because the exchange rate makes travel to the EU too expensive.

I like that "Stuck in Russia"  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: What planet are you on!  :Zzzzsleep:

Offline andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 02:33:12 PM »

I like that "Stuck in Russia"  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: What planet are you on!  :Zzzzsleep:

As has been noted before the world is not quite how Westcoast imagines it to be.  :'(

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 02:49:11 PM »

As has been noted before the world is not quite how Westcoast imagines it to be.  :'(

Poor man  :( :(  Pity the poor women who will land up with him  :( :(

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016, 02:55:26 PM »

Steveboy haven't you seen the articles that say Russians are vacationing at home because the exchange rates make travel outside Russia too expensive?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/12/31/battered-russian-ruble-plunges-amid-oil-price-woes/78133452/
http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/01/02/461595663/russians-find-favored-holiday-destinations-suddenly-off-limits

Add in the threat of terrorism and there appears to be no safe place for Russians to vacation except at home. The link below is from RT so that means it's from official Russian government sources.

https://www.rt.com/politics/327239-leftist-lawmaker-urges-russians-not/
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016, 03:19:54 PM »

Steveboy haven't you seen the articles that say Russians are vacationing at home because the exchange rates make travel outside Russia too expensive?

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2016/01/02/461595663/russians-find-favored-holiday-destinations-suddenly-off-limits

Add in the threat of terrorism and there appears to be no safe place for Russians to vacation except at home. The link below is from RT so that means it's from official Russian government sources.

https://www.rt.com/politics/327239-leftist-lawmaker-urges-russians-not/

"no safe place for Russians to vacation except at home"  :'(  Are you smoking some drugs there or something?

My neighbours just come back from a few days in Paris! The exchange rate on the rouble of course makes it harder for many to travel But plenty of Russians still travel , you are so out of touch with reality its unreal!
Are you married ? Still searching? For how long? Years I would hazard a guess :laugh:

Offline Manny

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 03:57:34 PM »

Westy, I am a well-seasoned traveller and an FSU veteran.  You are not. I know the difference between residents and tourists. I know the cruise ship we just came off had similarly loads of Russian-resident average Russians on it; I can see it by the clothes alone. My wife relays the odd overheard conversation in passing; she knows I like to be well informed and know what is going on around me.

As ever, experience on the ground trumps your Googling. Go Google and Street View Samoa restaurant at Passeig del Gracia 101, 08008, Barcelona. Russian menus, and heaving with average Russian tourists. I had lunch there today, it is way better than the TripAdvisor score FWIW.

Google may be your friend, but it will never trump feet on the ground.

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 03:02:38 AM »

Sorry Westy but if you actually spent any time in Europe, you'd understand why your post is utter rubbish.

Italy and France are exactly like how Manny described Barcelona. We always see menu's in Russian, sales folks greeting us in Russian and Russians in hotels and restaurant's, seemingly having a good old time. We just got back from Cape Verde and I expect it'll be overrun with Russians this year, now that Egypt & Turkey are off the menu.

Offline andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 03:26:50 AM »
What Westcoast fails to understand, and oddly for a famous international banker, is that a small decline in the overall Russian economy actually has very little effect upon those with disposable income.

For example, assuming that the economy shrank by about 3.5% last year (which it did) and for simplicity assume that ALL that decrease was reflected in the incomes of the Russian people, which it isn't, then all that means is the Olga and Pavel might spend about 3.5% less on their vacations.

If we assume that Olga and Pavel had 25000 rubles spending money last year then this year they might have just 24125 this year.

That works out to drinking 3 glasses of wine less in their favourite restaurant. That's not 3 glasses of wine person, not 3 glasses of wine each day but 3 glasses of wine between them, over their entire vacation.

Now, I we know that some people have chosen different destinations, but the reality is that, far from Westcoast's fantasies and hopes the people of Russia, on the whole actually have more money in their pockets!

Again Westcoast might as a famous international banker with his his finger on the pulse of the global economy be expected to know the following but he does tend to disappoint us:
Because Russians have tended to not buy new cars or houses (and other high priced items that might be purchased on credit) they are not spending as much on these regular payments as before. The bloke who postponed his purchase of a new Nissan is going to be,  in Euro terms, a few hundred euros better off every month. That's several thousand euros of extra disposable income.

Do you think that these people feel poorer when they look at their bank balance or their new toys bought with disposable income cash?

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus