The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Ethical Fur. Where to Buy? Canada?  (Read 1136 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Ethical Fur. Where to Buy? Canada?
« on: January 03, 2016, 04:15:13 PM »
So wifey is thinking about a new fur coat.

As the learned will know, Russians often travel to places like Greece to buy fur cheaper than it is in Russia. But much of it comes in from China and other places where animal welfare is hardly top notch.

If someone wants to wear fur (and I am not interested in half-arsed arguments from two-faced 'anti fur' people who eat meat and wear leather shoes here - so don't bother) but they would like to know it was produced in a reasonably ethical manner, where does one buy it?

My wife suggested Canada, as it is cold there, so people [she assumes] must wear fur there. And as a country that probably has more stringent animal welfare rules than Greece, China or Russia, she may have a point if that is the case. As we have many Canadians here, I reckon they are the folks to ask this.

But I put the question out generally too: one can buy fur of unknown or dubious origin in many places. But if one wants to buy it from somewhere it is produced ethically, perhaps with some kind of certification to back that up, and not in US Dollars, where is that?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Ethical Fur. Where to Buy? Canada?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 04:42:54 PM »
You got something against US dollars?  You're de-dollarising?

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 04:46:51 PM »
 I doubt that you will find a furrier that anesthetizes the animals before they are skinned alive. It's like trying to find some non-alcoholic cognac.
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline Annushka

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016, 09:33:30 PM »

As the learned will know, Russians often travel to places like Greece to buy fur cheaper than it is in Russia. But much of it comes in from China and other places where animal welfare is hardly top notch.

If someone wants to wear fur (and I am not interested in half-arsed arguments from two-faced 'anti fur' people who eat meat and wear leather shoes here - so don't bother) but they would like to know it was produced in a reasonably ethical manner, where does one buy it?

My wife suggested Canada, as it is cold there, so people [she assumes] must wear fur there. And as a country that probably has more stringent animal welfare rules than Greece, China or Russia, she may have a point if that is the case. As we have many Canadians here, I reckon they are the folks to ask this.

But I put the question out generally too: one can buy fur of unknown or dubious origin in many places. But if one wants to buy it from somewhere it is produced ethically, perhaps with some kind of certification to back that up, and not in US Dollars, where is that?

Hi, Стюарт! I'm sorry, I did not improve my English, so I am available in Russian. I very much hope that your little child will make the correct translation.

Снова вас вводят в заблуждение. Греция - это пережиток прошлого века! Я носила в свое время греческие шубки. Последняя была из норки: кожа порвалась, некачественная выделка. Так как я живу на юге России, и у нас на Новый год преобладает дождь, а не снег. Я с моим мировоззрением решила просто эту проблему. Я перешла на кожаные изделия из Турции. Это была главная причина, почему я туда поехала на отдых. Я смоталась в Турцию и приобрела кожаные изделия по смешной цене. ДУБЛЕНКА!!!Россияне покупают шикарные и качественные меха в ПЯТИГОРСКЕ!!!
Отличная меховая фабрика, в соответствии с ГОСТами!!!
Я даже привозила подруге визитки. Извини, позже сделаю сканер (внуки атаковали ( а почему не мужчины?))) без проблем, я сканер вновь подключила к компьютеру) и будут реальные координаты от изготовителя!!!

Online Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016, 09:49:41 PM »

http://www.furhatworld.com  is a Canadian outfit.

Offline Donhollio

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 10:31:41 PM »
As we have many Canadians here, I reckon they are the folks to ask this.

http://www.beautifullycanadian.com/art_of_fur_video.aspx

Back in the early 90's a friends uncle was a mink rancher. His business was on the rocks and in fact was one of only a few left in the province I was told. With the fall of the CCCP, demand skyrocketed as the mobsters wanted fine furs for their many women.
 Fur fashion in Canada fell off a cliff in the 90's, with the stupid clubbing of infant seals on ice flows making it on to TV, the entire industry took a hit, and never recovered.
 Ethics rest on the person wearing the fur. Personally I don't have a problem wearing a ranched fur, but I would not be wanting to wear multiple animals that were killed on some trap line.  Beaver fur is amazing to run your fingers through, although they smell of Aspen. But they are drowned and that doesn't sit well with me at all. 
  Fur from China could range from rat on up the chain, including ones pet dog or cat. It's not uncommon they found out that many fur trims on Chinese made garments are done in pet fur.

Online NS1

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 05:37:17 AM »
Not sure, my wife bought hers in Ukraine.
Some are raised on farms, some are trapped.
I doubt you want to know the real details.
I would be more concerned of the quality
of the fur and manufacture.

Edit: We were in a fur store in Montreal last month.
        But did not ask many questions as we were only looking.
        Montreal would likely give you the biggest selection in Canada.

“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”
Malcom X

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 12:42:13 AM »
My Julia has also hinted at wearing some dead animals.

I started to read up on this and there is one shopping center in downtown Kiev with a strong selection of furriers. I received an education, sometimes in Russian.

The most expensieve fur is sable and it only comes from Russia. The animals can not be raised in captivity. The fur is amazing.

The next most expensieve fur is mink, quite nice I might add. Raised on farms across the Northern Half, as well as trapped in the wild, the top furs are wild from Russia. Canadian farmed mink is very very good.

The one shop had an example from China, and I have no reference but the quality was extremely low.

In another shop, they had a wide array of pelts. I was amazed by ermine. Julia studied them for a moment and she quickly left. Outside I asked what was wrong and she admitted that she was upset to see that they were animals. Oh the logic of women.

I would suggest checking which animal furs are allowed into countries that your partner wants to wear the coat in. I saw both leopard and ocelot furs plus some other cat furs, I would suspect you have a rather limited list of countries that you can wear said furs in. I also suspect that there are steep discounts in the late spring on fur coats across the board.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online Maxx

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 12:45:16 AM »

There is something about the tactile feel of putting your arms around a woman wearing a fur coat.

Offline Chris

• CAD Drawing and Surveying for Office and on Site - Point - Shoot - Drawn - Instant Floor Plans
  • Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 01:26:16 AM »
Why not buy from the UK also here   Origin Assured!

Online AvHdB

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 01:37:38 AM »
Отличная меховая фабрика, в соответствии с ГОСТами!!!

While I do not know many of the GOST (ГОСТ) standards and certifications I sort of doubt they will apply to furs. Even if yes they exist they will not be of much value beyond the CIS.

Online AvHdB

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 01:40:05 AM »

There is something about the tactile feel of putting your arms around a woman wearing a fur coat.

Usually it gets even more tactile when you get her out of the fur coat.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 03:39:59 AM »
Actually there are GOST standards that apply to fur production.

You are right that they probably have little impact, at least directly, outside of the Russian trade zone. Often though there is a form of 'translation' to equivalent European standards. The lack of comprehensive translatability is, of course, at the heart of Ukrainian travails in its dealings with the EU. The point that Russians have been making for some time and which was at the heart of the previous legitimate state of Ukraine's desire to seek EU assistance prior to signing the EU Association Agreement.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 08:31:11 AM »

The highest quality mink is produced in the state of Wisconsin.  The most famous maker Worldwide is Zimbal. 

http://furcommission.com/wisconsin-still-number-one-in-mink-production/

http://zimbalmink.com/

excerpt
Zimbal Story

Written by: Elena Neverovskaya

What Becomes a Legendary Coat?

Behind the scenes of Blackglama.

“Don’t focus on the mink, but on what’s in it.” Jane Trahey

http://zimbalmink.com/about/press/zimbal-story/

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Annushka