The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: sending an iPhone to Ukraine as gift  (Read 6976 times)

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
Re: sending an iPhone to Ukraine as gift
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2015, 08:05:25 PM »
Same old gossips chiming in with cheap comments. Why is it anyone's business how well he knows this lady, gets on a plane or not?

... because any topic on this forum is fair game for comments. How well that he gets to know this lady and whether or not he gets on a plane are vital to the success of a long-distance relationship... but sending junk by post is not. By the same token, advice about the importance of getting to know someone and getting on the airplane has value, while witless bitching and moaning about people who give worthwhile advice has no value at all and is just junk.

Offline Sous01

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2015, 08:13:44 PM »
Oh so you can't just answer the op's question? Where does it say that his relationship has any bearing on how to get an iPhone to the Ukraine? Now if he asks for other advice that is a different story then you can answer those questions.

Offline TomT

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2015, 08:49:52 PM »
Oh so you can't just answer the op's question?

The best thing for him to do would be to fly to Kiev so that they could shop for it together.
Could anything be more obvious?

Offline Sous01

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2015, 08:55:55 PM »
His question was "how to send an iPhone to the Ukraine?" I personally have no idea, but whether they are strangers, or whether he should or should not fly there is not the question.

Offline TomT

« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2015, 11:16:58 PM »
If someone in a crosswalk, who was about to be run over by a car, asked me the way to the library, I would address the most pressing issue first. In the case of Eduard's client, the most pressing issue is the successful prosecution of the relationship, not a frivolous gift. 

I have experience at identifying core issues and it's been my observation that people seldom ask the right questions. If people want validation instead of the right answers, more power to them but it won't save them from being run over.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2015, 11:56:55 PM »
Oh so you can't just answer the op's question? Where does it say that his relationship has any bearing on how to get an iPhone to the Ukraine? Now if he asks for other advice that is a different story then you can answer those questions.
that would make sense, wouldn't it? Well, I'm thankful that the woman wasn't called a whore and a prostitute!  :laugh: so it's an improvement! LOL

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2015, 12:00:58 AM »
Good to see you,  Ed, giving the very best in professional care and attention to your clients.
I am sure that, with your good offices, it is only a short time before yet another success is recorded on your website.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2015, 04:55:03 AM »
What is it with foreigners so often feeling "Obliged " to buy an "iPhone" for their gf in Ukraine?

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Chris

• Spouses Country: Chernivtsi, Ukraine
« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2015, 06:41:24 AM »
What is it with foreigners so often feeling "Obliged " to buy an "iPhone" for their gf in Ukraine?

Yes, why do they never buy a Samsung, or an Android phone, they are much better anyway  :hidechair:
Слава Україні

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2015, 06:47:51 AM »

Yes, why do they never buy a Samsung, or an Android phone, they are much better anyway  :hidechair:

From what I see in St Petersburg many young kids have iPhones or the latest smart phone anyway. I think its something that goes back to the last decade, many guys will presume sending an iPhone will will immediately give his women some kind of status and maybe even make him feel like a "God" its something that was done 10/15 years ago not today I think. Unless your dating someone from a village in the middle of nowhere , sending a phone is sooooo old hat!

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2015, 06:49:25 AM »

Try telling that to my better half, who like me is an Apple-head, and was given a Samsung for work, and has been on the verge of flinging it on several occasions....
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2015, 06:53:03 AM »

Try telling that to my better half, who like me is an Apple-head, and was given a Samsung for work, and has been on the verge of flinging it on several occasions....

Thats what happens when you become a slave to the system and have to have what has been brainwashed into you by big boys running the world :chuckle:

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2015, 06:59:27 AM »

Thats what happens when you become a slave to the system and have to have what has been brainwashed into you by big boys running the world :chuckle:

Open Source = all sorts of dickheads and script kiddies have had a play, i'd rather place my trust in hardware/software by the same enterprise - one throat to choke is my mantra....

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2015, 07:23:44 AM »
thanks for being so helpful, guys! I have passed the info on to my client so now it's his call.

I'd order it from Ukraine - http://www.istore.ua/catalog/ you can pay by card and have it delivered - if the phone goes wrong ... easier to sort
this is the site he was trying to use, but they don't accept credit card payments. But thanks anyway, Moby!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2015, 08:12:44 AM »
Hi Ed!

When I visit the site and 'order' a phone it does ? May be it is geo-blocking? What about Manny's links.

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2015, 09:12:57 AM »
Its funny how young Russian kids have the latest smart phones, but when Western guys go meet a women they put the new smart phone away and bring out the old phone :laugh:
Only fools send new phones to women...

Online rosco

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2015, 09:16:39 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm working with a guy from Denmark who would like to send an iPhone as a Christmas gift to his girl in Kiev. He can't buy one in Denmark, because they come only with the plug that works there but won't work in Ukraine. Apple Denmark referred him to a company in Ukraine, but we found out that they can't take a credit card by phone or on line and need some one in Ukraine to make a payment to their bank account. Do you know how he can get this done without being in Ukraine? Are there any other companies where he can buy, pay for and have an iphone delivered to her in Kiev?
Thanks,
Ed

I am sending my girl an Iphone 5c I bought on Ebay that is suppose to work internationally. She is expected to be getting it Saturday so then I will find out if I have any problems. She is planning to get the charger there as they sell them separately in the Ukraine for not all that much.

A 5C........you know how to treat a lady.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm working with a guy from Denmark who would like to send an iPhone as a Christmas gift to his girl in Kiev. He can't buy one in Denmark, because they come only with the plug that works there but won't work in Ukraine. Apple Denmark referred him to a company in Ukraine, but we found out that they can't take a credit card by phone or on line and need some one in Ukraine to make a payment to their bank account. Do you know how he can get this done without being in Ukraine? Are there any other companies where he can buy, pay for and have an iphone delivered to her in Kiev?
Thanks,
Ed

I am sending my girl an Iphone 5c I bought on Ebay that is suppose to work internationally. She is expected to be getting it Saturday so then I will find out if I have any problems. She is planning to get the charger there as they sell them separately in the Ukraine for not all that much.

A 5C........you know how to treat a lady.

5Chav we called 'em.....

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2015, 10:33:59 AM »

Open Source = all sorts of dickheads and script kiddies have had a play, i'd rather place my trust in hardware/software by the same enterprise - one throat to choke is my mantra....

Give me open source and loads more useful apps - for free - any day  :chuckle: ..OR an apple map facility that was - released and sucked...

My daughters have the iphone 6's - the big ones - yet when I got my first Galaxy note 1 - I could see the numbers without glasses... it was pronounced 'too big' .

Stupid design - the battery can't be removed - easily - bad when you keep dropping them in the drink, like me  :chuckle:

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2015, 11:15:17 AM »
thanks for being so helpful, guys! I have passed the info on to my client so now it's his call.

I'd order it from Ukraine - http://www.istore.ua/catalog/ you can pay by card and have it delivered - if the phone goes wrong ... easier to sort
this is the site he was trying to use, but they don't accept credit card payments. But thanks anyway, Moby!

http://www.moyo.ua/telecommunication/smart/apple/

“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2015, 01:12:16 PM »
Its funny how young Russian kids have the latest smart phones, but when Western guys go meet a women they put the new smart phone away and bring out the old phone :laugh:
Only fools send new phones to women...
Gosh, so much wisdom here! I don't know how I ever survived without all this great advice!  :chuckle: :laugh: :ROFL:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2015, 01:49:54 AM »
I  reckon the iPhone thing is just the latest update on the 'importing jeans to Russia'  meme of the 1980's. It is a sign of American cultural imperialism,  not that most of the schmuks doing the importing think of it in those terms.

For that reason a Samsung or Huawei phone just wouldn't do,  they carry the wrong symbolism. Technical merit is irrelevant here.

And yes,  both Texan77 and Ed's client's birds almost certainly already have adequate communication devices in their purses. Both happily trotting out their grandmother's phone when in the presence of their respective foreign benefactors.

Well done Ed for helping your female client to promote her culturally contextually relevant money collection meme!
At least Texan77 got to make his choice unaided by professional advisers.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2015, 08:02:06 AM »
I  reckon the iPhone thing is just the latest update on the 'importing jeans to Russia'  meme of the 1980's. It is a sign of American cultural imperialism,  not that most of the schmuks doing the importing think of it in those terms.

For that reason a Samsung or Huawei phone just wouldn't do,  they carry the wrong symbolism. Technical merit is irrelevant here.

And yes,  both Texan77 and Ed's client's birds almost certainly already have adequate communication devices in their purses. Both happily trotting out their grandmother's phone when in the presence of their respective foreign benefactors.

Well done Ed for helping your female client to promote her culturally contextually relevant money collection meme!

The nice people will have to excuse andrewfi... if he has been to Russia, recently - you'll note he doesn't advertise it - he must be selectively blind..

I know 30 plus ladies who are acquainted with SC - most have ancient Nokia's, low-end early Samsung Android's,  Samsung Waves -Bada OS -  and perhaps a Chinese 'no-name' Plancheta' - tablet OR  two.

So, yes... the British designed iphone is desirable and quite the status symbol - if one wants to impress.

It has b'all to do with the Country that owns the brand - the Brand has appeal for it's design, OS...

It appears that there are a few ample backsides that need to see life in Ukraine / Russia - instead of 'knocking' posters who go there and see for themselves...

Offline NS1

• Supporting Member
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2015, 09:24:46 AM »

The nice people will have to excuse andrewfi... if he has been to Russia, recently - you'll note he doesn't advertise it - he must be selectively blind..

I know 30 plus ladies who are acquainted with SC - most have ancient Nokia's, low-end early Samsung Android's,  Samsung Waves -Bada OS -  and perhaps a Chinese 'no-name' Plancheta' - tablet OR  two.

So, yes... the British designed iphone is desirable and quite the status symbol - if one wants to impress.

It has b'all to do with the Country that owns the brand - the Brand has appeal for it's design, OS...

It appears that there are a few ample backsides that need to see life in Ukraine / Russia - instead of 'knocking' posters who go there and see for themselves...

Don't be silly, these folks have computers and know all.
There is nothing permanent except change.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2015, 10:23:41 AM »
Moby, do some learning and then get back to us.

Registration