The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: sending an iPhone to Ukraine as gift  (Read 6977 times)

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
sending an iPhone to Ukraine as gift
« on: December 17, 2015, 10:06:44 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm working with a guy from Denmark who would like to send an iPhone as a Christmas gift to his girl in Kiev. He can't buy one in Denmark, because they come only with the plug that works there but won't work in Ukraine. Apple Denmark referred him to a company in Ukraine, but we found out that they can't take a credit card by phone or on line and need some one in Ukraine to make a payment to their bank account. Do you know how he can get this done without being in Ukraine? Are there any other companies where he can buy, pay for and have an iphone delivered to her in Kiev?
Thanks,
Ed

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: sending an iPhone to Ukraine as gift
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 10:48:19 AM »
By 'plug' one assumes that this is the charger?
If so just get the woman to buy a charger in Ukraine.

Or send an adaptor. Shops sell 'email or buy the Apple travel adaptor?

Ooohh, isn't life tough...

Good to see that the 'buy me an iPhone' schtik still works to get a girls attention. Old tricks are the best eh, Ed?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 10:54:57 AM »
Eduard,

The simplest way to do this is a SWIFT transfer from a danish bank account to the Bank account of the iphone vendor in Ukraine.

Get the vendor to supply their bank SWIFT code and account number.  Sometimes the branch address is needed as well.
Then send to money (Euro?) via SWIFT from the guy's Danish Bank Account.

Beware though, a SWIFT transfer cannot be recalled like a credit card payment.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2015, 10:59:55 AM »
She might already have an iPhone. I mean hasn't everyone who wants one got one?
Especially desirable women?

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2015, 11:02:28 AM »
He can't buy one in Denmark, because they come only with the plug that works there but won't work in Ukraine.

As an iphone charger is not grounded, in Denmark, it should come with a plug type F or C (probably C, but both interchangeable anyway). Two pin Euro type. Same as they use in Ukraine. The charger is multi input anyway, but both countries are on 220-240v as it goes, so it should be fine in Ukraine.

Apple Denmark are spinning him a line as they do not approve of grey exports.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 11:07:33 AM »
Eduard,

The simplest way to do this is a SWIFT transfer from a danish bank account to the Bank account of the iphone vendor in Ukraine.

Get the vendor to supply their bank SWIFT code and account number.  Sometimes the branch address is needed as well.
Then send to money (Euro?) via SWIFT from the guy's Danish Bank Account.

Beware though, a SWIFT transfer cannot be recalled like a credit card payment.
Thank you for your advice!

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2015, 11:08:45 AM »
He can't buy one in Denmark, because they come only with the plug that works there but won't work in Ukraine.

As an iphone charger is not grounded, in Denmark, it should come with a plug type F or C (probably C, but both interchangeable anyway). Two pin Euro type. Same as they use in Ukraine. The charger is multi input anyway, but both countries are on 220-240v as it goes, so it should be fine in Ukraine.

Thanks Manny, I'll pass this info on to him

Online Texan77

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 11:27:14 AM »
Hey guys,
I'm working with a guy from Denmark who would like to send an iPhone as a Christmas gift to his girl in Kiev. He can't buy one in Denmark, because they come only with the plug that works there but won't work in Ukraine. Apple Denmark referred him to a company in Ukraine, but we found out that they can't take a credit card by phone or on line and need some one in Ukraine to make a payment to their bank account. Do you know how he can get this done without being in Ukraine? Are there any other companies where he can buy, pay for and have an iphone delivered to her in Kiev?
Thanks,
Ed

I am sending my girl an Iphone 5c I bought on Ebay that is suppose to work internationally. She is expected to be getting it Saturday so then I will find out if I have any problems. She is planning to get the charger there as they sell them separately in the Ukraine for not all that much. 
3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 11:29:13 AM »
I will just add that on one of my trips I discovered that I had left my iPad charger at home, so I simply walked down to the local Apple reseller and bought one.  The plug works anywhere in continental Europe.
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 11:35:48 AM »
thanks for being so helpful, guys! I have passed the info on to my client so now it's his call.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 11:42:10 AM »
Hey guys,
Thanks,
Ed

I am sending my girl an Iphone 5c I bought on Ebay that is suppose to work internationally. She is expected to be getting it Saturday so then I will find out if I have any problems. She is planning to get the charger there as they sell them separately in the Ukraine for not all that much. 

The Times are sure changing, used to be taking them on shopping dates was the norm. The internet eliminates the cost of a ticket I guess, and accusations of pro daters.

What possesses men to buy expensive gifts for almost a complete stranger?

IPhone apartments what's next.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline sparky114

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 11:44:50 AM »
i sent a phone...or shall we say tried...the courier companies would not accept a phone with the battery in it something about L-ion batteries being prohibited
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 11:50:09 AM »
thanks for being so helpful, guys! I have passed the info on to my client so now it's his call.

I'd order it from Ukraine - http://www.istore.ua/catalog/ you can pay by card and have it delivered - if the phone goes wrong ... easier to sort

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Eduard

• Commercial member
    • realrussianmatch.com
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »
Hey guys,
Thanks,
Ed

The Times are sure changing, used to be taking them on shopping dates was the norm. The internet eliminates the cost of a ticket I guess, and accusations of pro daters.

How do you know she is a complete stranger? Give me a little credit, bro. I can't ask a simple question on RUA without being attacked?

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2015, 12:45:22 PM »
I waited until she was in UK before I bought her anything, you know, like when we had a relationship. Presents..
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2015, 12:54:29 PM »
Sending junk by post is no substitute for face-to-face time. I'm curious why someone won't get off his lazy ass and take a two-hour flight to see the love of his life.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2015, 12:58:15 PM »
If she is for real I bet she'd rather see him than have a new phone to replace the one she already has.

Ed, how strongly did you recommend to your client that he should get on a plane himself and see her?

Why did he reject the recommendation of his paid mentor and guide?

Offline Sous01

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 01:59:38 PM »
Same old gossips chiming in with cheap comments. Why is it anyone's business how well he knows this lady, gets on a plane or not?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2015, 02:16:06 PM »
Must be boring in your world. Glad you ain't in mine! I ????

Offline Manny

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2015, 02:28:11 PM »

I'd order it from Ukraine - http://www.istore.ua/catalog/ you can pay by card and have it delivered - if the phone goes wrong ... easier to sort

Easier to sort with an official dealer in Ukraine.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online Texan77

« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2015, 02:44:19 PM »

I do not think of her as a complete stranger. The first time I visited her was 2.5 years ago.  I have been there to visit her six times now. Know each trip from USA is not cheap plus the lost of income while I am gone. The phone was $200 which is less than one half the cost of a visiting day if you include airfare from Texas. I bought her a phone because I wanting her to get my emails and pictures right away. Maybe a cheaper phone would have done it but for an extra hundred dollars I could make her really happy.

I have no plans to bring her to the US real soon. The apartment stabilizes her life where it is much easier for me to visit her. I buy her gifts that have some benefit for me as well as her.

What is next? Well ... maybe a bed I enjoy sleeping on or a TV I enjoy watching. I am sure by now a smart dude like you have figured it out. 

3) There has been no "threat" to invade Ukraine. The US invented that and fed it to a complicit media.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2015, 03:04:48 PM »
How much pocket money do you send her?

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2015, 03:09:08 PM »
How much pocket money do you send her?

Does it really matter if he goes in with eyes open, and can afford his hobby?

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2015, 03:35:41 PM »
Of course it doesn't!
I,  for one,  don't mind.

Just curious is all. :)

Offline AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2015, 03:55:32 PM »

Bingo. In the for what it is worth Apple sells an adaptor male plug kit. The same charger will work across a broad set of power sources and charge the foon.

Jail breaking (unlocking) the 5C is more tricky than either the 4 series or the 6 series. Also the 5 and 6 are far more fragile than the almost bullet proof 4 series.

The charger for the 3 to 6 are all compatible - but the 5 and 6 have a different end plug. Since this is a loose cord, one end being USB you just need the cord.

I have seen the Chinese secondary market stuff and it is inferior. Though the dual SIM iPhone was cool. Tell your lady to spend a bit more and go to the local MOYO and purchase a charger there. Apple makes money on the hardware but the APP's are where the big profits are.

No one is saving anyone any money. The phones are basically the same in price and you can obtain a guarantee in Ukraine if you buy there.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Registration