The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Cheese in the FSU, Europe and the US.  (Read 1908 times)

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Cheese in the FSU, Europe and the US.
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2015, 05:32:39 PM »
WRT Cheddar, yes and no...

Cheddar is not a region protected product, unlike Stilton. There's no particular reason why Cheddar can be made only in that small part of the world. As I recall, Cheddar used to be stored and matured in caves in Cheddar Gorge. I have family who live there, well, a couple of minutes drive away, used to be one of my favourite places as a sprog.

Anyway, any cool dryish place works just as well and one can buy very nice Cheddar cheese from many places. Good job really as Cheddar Gorge couldn't support the volume of business anyway.

What makes the English cheeses so interesting is within the cheddar family, there is such a variety in subtle flavours.

In North America it tends to be shall we say over the top.

Regarding exporting the US variations, it is normally made in small quanities. It is only known in small circles of friends, like wine I suspect eventually some one will figure it out. It might follow the trajectory of Sam Adams beer and spawn a complete 'new' revolution.

NB: Thanks to the moderators for spinning this off.  tiphat
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2015, 09:59:30 PM »
one can buy very nice Cheddar cheese from many places.

Sadly, not found one yet, in this Region of Sochi... but it is fun trying loads of different cheeses.

This is a good wiki site re UK/IRISH foods with regional protection and explanations - includes Cheeses

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_food_and_drink_products_with_protected_status#Cheeses

Note some cheeses must not be made of pasteurised milk

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2015, 01:29:44 AM »
Note some all cheeses must not be made of pasteurised milk
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria