The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Lake Baikal  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Tom Cat

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Lake Baikal
« on: December 07, 2015, 05:41:56 PM »
Some spectacular photos

THE MAGIC OF LAKE BAIKAL: A VIRTUAL PHOTO EXHIBITION BY ALEXEY TROFIMOV

http://weirdrussia.com/2015/12/07/the-magic-of-lake-baikal-a-virtual-photo-exhibition-by-alexey-trofimov/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

Why You Should Travel to Siberia.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 08:17:43 PM »
Why You Should Travel to Siberia—Yes, Siberia—This Summer

http://www.vogue.com/13456046/siberia-travel-summer-russia/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline leslied

• Spouses Country: Ukraine
Re: Lake Baikal
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 03:19:06 AM »
The Vogue article does not mention the mozzies, black flies, and midges which hatch out on an epic scale in the Siberian summer.  Be prepared to be eaten...

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 03:23:28 AM »
The Vogue article does not mention the mozzies, black flies, and midges which hatch out on an epic scale in the Siberian summer.  Be prepared to be eaten...

I hate those things, but they love the taste of ol' Andrew. Sounds like that's an item removed from the bucket list.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 03:25:55 AM »

I hate those things, but they love the taste of ol' Andrew. Sounds like that's an item removed from the bucket list.

I was there in the spring and it was lovely. 

All those insects love me too.  Andrew it's like a woman I met on a train once told me...  "ty ochen sladki".   I guess we are both in the same boat.... 

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 09:47:45 AM »

I was there in the spring and it was lovely. 

All those insects love me too.  Andrew it's like a woman I met on a train once told me...  "ty ochen sladki".   I guess we are both in the same boat.... 

Mosquitoes can be found most anywhere. My first trip to Russia was to St. Petersburg in July, and late evening strolls was prime time to be eaten alive. After that experience during warm weather trips to Russia I always brought insect repellent, and anti itch cream. This made for an enjoyable time in Russia's great outdoors. :)

Offline Annushka

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 08:25:59 PM »
From the "Flying Dutchman" (гнус) greatly helps the tar (деготь)!

Traveling by car. Ural Mountains. Before Yekaterinburg.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2016, 04:33:58 PM »

Offline Tom Cat

Re: Lake Baikal-ice sailing
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2016, 08:02:49 PM »
SAILING SIBERIA

Ice boating in Russia extends the thrill of high-speed sailing into the hard-water months

http://www.sailingworld.com/sailing-siberia