The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: NATO Invites Montenegro to Join.  (Read 636 times)

Offline WestCoast

NATO Invites Montenegro to Join.
« on: December 02, 2015, 10:24:41 PM »
NATO has formally invited Montenegro to join the military alliance. Montenegro is a small mountainous country on the Adriatic. It was part of the former Yugoslavia until it declared its independence in 2006.

http://news.yahoo.com/nato-invites-montenegro-become-29th-member-alliance-073612102.html

Moscow is against any expansion of NATO in eastern Europe. From the article:

Moscow opposes any NATO extension to former communist areas of eastern and southeastern Europe, part of an east-west struggle for influence over former Soviet satellites that is at the center of the crisis in Ukraine.

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said in September that any expansion of NATO was "a mistake, even a provocation". In comments to Russian media then, he said NATO's so-called open door policy was "an irresponsible policy that undermines the determination to build a system of equal and shared security in Europe."

RIA news agency cited a Russian senator as saying on Wednesday that Russia will end joint projects with Montenegro if the ex-Communist country joins the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation. The Adriatic state of 650,000 people is expected to become a member formally next year.

Viktor Ozerov, head of the Russian Federation Council's defense and safety committee, said the projects which could be axed included those in military areas, RIA reported.

Now that Montenegro has been invited to join NATO will Russia start some territorial dispute that will impede or cancel the official ceremony which could be months in the future?

Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Offline sparky114

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: NATO Invites Montenegro to Join.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 10:51:50 PM »
Interesting since its only 16 years ago that the Nato Alliance Bombed that country  (:)
Today is only one day in a life of happiness

Mark

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 01:32:23 AM »
Now that Montenegro has been invited to join NATO will Russia start some territorial dispute that will impede or cancel the official ceremony which could be months in the future?

No, they won't and they don't have the ground to do so either. What dispute? We are an independent, sovereign country, never were part of commie block or anything. We love Russians though (of course that doesn't necessarily mean our political goals coincide.)

Interesting since its only 16 years ago that the Nato Alliance Bombed that country  (:)

Yep... As they say, if you can't beat them - join them ;)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 01:44:21 AM »
As I understand the largest investor by country in Montenegro (means Black Mountains) is Russia based investors.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 02:18:50 AM »
As I understand the largest investor by country in Montenegro (means Black Mountains) is Russia based investors.

False, it's Germany (since 2000 about 170 million e per year) and Hungary (260 million e invested in country's infrastructure.) That's from the top of my head, but you can find exact data online. We were extremely unlucky with investors from Russia (Deripaska's dealings turned out to be disastrous, and so did Sergej Polonski's, nothing in it for us, only for couple of corrupted politicians who are being prosecuted as of now - Marovic clan and others.)
British Cubus Lux also doesn't meet the basic criteria, but turns out it's more difficult to kick out investors from Monte than to attract them  (:)
Douglas Adams

Online AvHdB

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 02:34:34 AM »

False, it's Germany (since 2000 about 170 million e per year) and Hungary (260 million e invested in country's infrastructure.) That's from the top of my head, but you can find exact data online. We were extremely unlucky with investors from Russia (Deripaska's dealings turned out to be disastrous, and so did Sergej Polonski's, nothing in it for us, only for couple of corrupted politicians who are being prosecuted as of now - Marovic clan and others.)
British Cubus Lux also doesn't meet the basic criteria, but turns out it's more difficult to kick out investors from Monte than to attract them  (:)

I thought I read that Porto Montenegro was controlled by Deripaska? Also I recall reading the Kastela Marina north of Split (Croatia) refused Russian development funds.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 06:20:55 AM »

I thought I read that Porto Montenegro was controlled by Deripaska?

It's Munk's (Peter Munk).  :)
Douglas Adams

Online AvHdB

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 07:07:23 AM »

Never doubt the wisdom of women, you are indeed correct.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 08:12:54 AM »

Never doubt the wisdom of women, you are indeed correct.

Thank you, Av  :loving: Lol, it sounds cool, but i fear 'tis not wisdom, in this case it's that country is tiny so we all kinda know these things   :innocent:
Douglas Adams

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 10:45:25 AM »

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2015, 10:53:35 AM »
This made me laugh.

Manny, with deep respect and grand personal admiration for you:   :Stickouttongue3:

;D ;D ;D
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
Douglas Adams

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2015, 11:44:15 AM »
Well, it is probably better to actually join NATO than to simply be a passive host of NATO forces in occupation in your country.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2015, 11:49:44 AM »
Well, it is probably better to actually join NATO than to simply be a passive host of NATO forces in occupation in your country.

Andy, another close and wise friend of mine (also a foreigner, but with Russian roots, and friendly towards my country too) wrote on my fb: "when invited to a dinner like that, make sure you are not on the menu." I replied ours was the only way for us to be certain we are in fact not being a part of the menu!  ;D
Douglas Adams