The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Electric Blanket in Ukraine??  (Read 633 times)

Offline bigdaddy71978

• Spouses Country: Unknown yet
  • Trips: None Yet
Electric Blanket in Ukraine??
« on: November 28, 2015, 07:39:44 AM »
Does anyone know of a website where I could order 2 electric blankets for my friends for Christmas? I was going to buy them here and send them for Christmas. The website for Sunbeam said do not use the converter plugs (since US/Ukraine use different electric outlet plugs). Thanks

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
Re: Electric Blanket in Ukraine??
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 07:42:12 AM »
The website for Sunbeam said do not use the converter plugs (since US/Ukraine use different electric outlet plugs). Thanks

Different voltages too.

Have you tried Google.ua?
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline bigdaddy71978

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 09:14:09 AM »
I just tried google.ua got same results as US version of google. :( I don't want to buy the junk Chinese versions as I've read a lot of bad reviews on these.

Online Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 09:34:46 AM »
UK ones are same voltage, who uses 110v anyway? Kettle takes ages to boil!
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline TomT

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 10:15:57 AM »
Sunbeam used to make a good electric blanket. In recent years, they have become unreliable, however.
I agree with others that there is also a problem with voltage and connectivity. 
"Get away from the keyboard little man. I know where you live." (Message left in my facebook mailbox by our resident psychopath.)

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 11:50:23 AM »
Since the UK and Ukraine have the same voltage, the UK would be a good place to start. Amazon UK has a wide selection. However, I don't know is you can get them to ship your purchase to Ukraine?
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 12:02:33 PM »
I agree that as a product with a heating element, you wouldn't use a 110-120v one with a converter. Buy a 220-240v one.

As far as delivery from Amazon, it depends who is the seller. If a seller fulfills his own orders, he may choose not to ship to certain countries. For Amazon fulfilled orders, Ukraine isn't on the country list.

Doing a quick search in Russian seems to throw up this Ukrainian site with many listings. They appear to have some kind of buyer protection programme like eBay. I'd choose a German made one if you wanted quality there.

Easier to have a native speaker buy from a local site then no customs stuff to contend with and the seller will know the local issues with delivery. If you wanted to buy abroad, use Amazon or eBay in Germany. Sellers there will be familiar with Ukraine shipping and the product will have the right voltage and plug.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 04:07:58 PM »
Since the UK and Ukraine have the same voltage, the UK would be a good place to start. Amazon UK has a wide selection. However, I don't know is you can get them to ship your purchase to Ukraine?

Different plug too Westy.

OP I think you'd be better off trying to buy this in Ukraine in person or ask the recipient to help with the sourcing of a good quality item  locally.

I don't run a web business but I'd imagine an American card, buying something from a country in the EU and shipping to somewhere like Ukraine to set alarm bells ringing and probably be declined.

Try and use something like Amazon as Manny suggests and buy a European version then you'll have no plug and voltage issues.
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Online Ste

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 04:23:52 PM »
There's always Hot Water Bottles.....

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 04:29:53 PM »
I don't run a web business but I'd imagine an American card, buying something from a country in the EU and shipping to somewhere like Ukraine to set alarm bells ringing and probably be declined.

I sell on eBay and Amazon, and Paypal on eBay will make issues with a US account and a Ukraine delivery address like you said. Amazon or a more local site would be easier. The US has some daft financial rules.

Don't men use local translators/fixers any more? Back when I was doing this it would be as easy as a call to the local terp and she would have arranged it. Same as I do now when I want something doing in China, I get my local helper to arrange it. If I want something from Estonia or the US from a local seller, I get pals to help me.

Do we have a Ukrainian helper here who can arrange this for Big Daddy? Mila springs to mind.......

Online Ste

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 04:31:43 PM »
The best night of Nadia's life was when she accidentally left the electric blanket on on full for six hours before bedtime when we then realised.

I got arse-burn....

I have to have the window open 'on catch' in the bedroom even in winter....

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 07:13:58 PM »
Does anyone know of a website where I could order 2 electric blankets for my friends for Christmas? I was going to buy them here and send them for Christmas. The website for Sunbeam said do not use the converter plugs (since US/Ukraine use different electric outlet plugs). Thanks

I would go with the direct body to body model ~ male to female plugs, you just plug in and the ending is happy.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline bigdaddy71978

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 08:54:53 PM »

I would go with the direct body to body model ~ male to female plugs, you just plug in and the ending is happy.
I would LOVE to do this version, unfortunately the US Government is still fighting me on getting a damn passport. Plus my 2 friends are real sisters, not sure they'd like to share me. LOL