The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Looking for any canadians that married a woman in russia and their advice on the  (Read 1587 times)

Offline Sous01

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1-5
Would appreciate any advice from some Canadians who married their spouse in Russia especially about the process. I keep finding conflicting procedures.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Would appreciate any advice from some Canadians who married their spouse in Russia especially about the process. I keep finding conflicting procedures.

The Canadian consulate in Russia should give you some good advice , I know the Uk consulate have like an information pack on the subject, all easy.
Its best to ask your spouse to contact or visit the local Zags for the info, they are usually helpful and tell you the whole procedure. Though depending where you are you will have to check if they marry foreigners at their office not all do..
Its an easy process in general and nothing to worry about :)
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Sous01

Thanks for your reply. It is a beautiful woman I met on your dating site by the way! When you are spending so much money to fly there especially where my fiancé lives you want to make sure you get everything right. The latest challenge is that it will take the Russian legalization department a week to process my authenticating my declaration of non impediment to marriage. As a Canadian I can only do this in Moscow or Vladivostok.

Offline Tom Cat

• Trips: 20+
Sous01, it would be very helpful, and to your benefit if you ask the mods to place all your questions and threads into one.
Giving advice without background info won't give you much help.

Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Sous01

You know what tomcat! I see so many hijacked threads here and all I want is if someone would like to talk with me about their experiences to do so. I am looking for any and all help from their experiences. Seems like some people on this board can post about any topic and it's ok but if you just want to have a conversation with people who have gone through what you are going to experience you are criticized because you have asked a previous question.
Factors change. If it bothers people they should just not answer.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
You know what tomcat! I see so many hijacked threads here and all I want is if someone would like to talk with me about their experiences to do so. I am looking for any and all help from their experiences. Seems like some people on this board can post about any topic and it's ok but if you just want to have a conversation with people who have gone through what you are going to experience you are criticized because you have asked a previous question.
Factors change. If it bothers people they should just not answer.

You need to find out for yourself - all the info is out there and folks to be honest are tired of regurgitating the same old same old.

If you can't do that best to not bother looking for an FSU partner, this is the easy bit...

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline froid

The latest challenge is that it will take the Russian legalization department a week to process my authenticating my declaration of non impediment to marriage. As a Canadian I can only do this in Moscow or Vladivostok.

I suspect you are trying to avoid about having to waste time in Moscow just for paperwork.  I had the same issue but there is another way to do this but does take more time.  You prepare in Canada.

I actually processed some of my paperwork in Canada to get the Marriage paperwork ready.  For me this involved getting my marriage search document from Ontario...having it notarized locally...and then sent to Foreign Affairs Canada to be legalized for Russia...then they send it onward to the Russian Embassy in Ottawa who then legalizes the document for use in Russia.  Once I had this...I sent a scanned copy to my fiancée so she could have it translated, and then she even showed it to the ZAGS official to make sure ahead of time that it would be sufficient.  Once I arrived with the real copy...it was simple for the translator to take her original translation from the scan and redo it for the original. 

This allowed me to land in Moscow Thursday, and get married Saturday in another city. 

Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Sous01

Thank you froid.

Offline froid

No problem Sous.  I can't do all the homework for you...and I was married 7 years ago so take my advice with a grain of salt, but if you know something is possible...you can check the websites for up to date info and possibly do the same thing I did. 

Any other questions let me know.  I am not here often though so if you want a quick answer and I am not around send me a PM and it will email me I think. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline Sous01

Thanks for the offer froid. I have been reading and reading. It is such a stressful process that you want to make sure that you have considered every avenue. I appreciate anyone's experiences.

Offline yankee

The only difficulty we had was the “marriage letter”.  This was a document that was notarized by the US embassy in Moscow and then processed by the Russian ministry of foreign affairs.  The ministry of foreign affairs wanted to take a week to process it.  They also wanted me to travel to Kirov (where my wife lived) to get registered then return to Moscow to submit the marriage letter.  Then we were told we would have to wait seven days while the marriage letter was processed.
Needless to say this would have been very difficult for us.  We were able to convince the clerk that end of day should be sufficient. He eventually agreed and we picked it up that afternoon.   
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline froid

Yeah that is exactly what I was trying to avoid too Yankee.  That kind of run around and being stuck in the bureaucratic mess they call the Russian government. 

I managed to do some of the paperwork while there visiting in Mar.  I basically signed and dated the Zags paperwork in front of a notary and translator.  And then the remainder of paperwork while in Canada including that damn marriage search.  The only things I had to do when I arrived was to get one final translation on the papers we had scanned and translated during the wait before the wedding. 

Oh...and learn "our" dance. 

Registration