The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russians may soon need a Visa to exit Russia  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
Russians may soon need a Visa to exit Russia
« on: November 13, 2015, 04:25:45 AM »
The Russian government are thinking of bringing in a new plan where by if you are a Russian citizen and wish to travel outside Russia you will need to apply for an "Exit" visa.

http://news.rambler.ru/politics/31921068/

They say it will be for safety reasons, for example you plan to travel to paris the weekend, you must sign a declaration "I realise I may get blown up in Paris and I accept responsibility" ???

But it maybe just to keep more Russians in Russia and build the tourism up in Crimea  :)

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
Re: Russians may soon need a Visa to exit Russia
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 04:42:44 AM »
The bureaucracy of the Russian government stands in the way of progress, Crimea should be treated apart from the usual rules namely no visa required to enter and unlimited stays for those that qualify. But Russians adore authority even though they do their best to dodge it.

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 05:55:59 AM »
..and even if you DO make it to the airport - the tv news has been reminding you that if you have any outstanding fines - you can't leave ! :chuckle:

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 06:36:49 AM »
One step closer to their communist dictatorship past. This is starting to read like a predictable book.

Online yankee

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 06:50:40 AM »
One step closer to their communist dictatorship past. This is starting to read like a predictable book.

When I was young and did a lot of traveling the only thing I needed was a ticket.  I could even use that ticket on another airine.  If I wanted to I could give my ticket to another person (no name was on the ticket).

there was no screening also.  To leave the US and go to Canada and mexico I did not need a passport.  In the past 30 years or so we have lost many of our freedoms. 

So which country is going in the wrong direction??
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 07:11:26 AM »
Perhaps Russia will start requiring visas for foreigners to exit Russia?  :laugh:
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 07:12:36 AM »
I make no argument that the US is definitely going in the wrong direction. None. This is a little different. You can leave the US without a passport. You just can't reenter.

In this case, you need permission from your government to even LEAVE the country. That's a drastic difference and one that can easily be exploited and abused by Putin and his clan or whomever his successor is.

It's another way to control the public just like state owned TV propaganda. Really, it doesn't take a genious to figure out where this has the potential to lead.

I ask, what honest and benevolent purpose does this serve for the Russian government. Do some of you actually have your heads that far up your rear ends to defend all the actions of a government that is blantantly and increasingly headed right down the pike to the decades of totalitarian dictatorship that preceded the early 90s'. Tell me you're not that blind, or maybe you haven't had the "privelage" of living under such a society to recognize the warning signs and gradual progression towards it (there's plenty of them here in the US as well).

Puleeez people.  (:)

Online yankee

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 07:16:07 AM »
I make no argument that the US is definitely going in the wrong direction. None. This is a little different. You can leave the US without a passport. You just can't reenter.

And which port of exit can you do that?
What is worse than not being able to get what you don't even want?

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2015, 07:32:17 AM »
Any. You can leave but you can't come back.

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2015, 07:37:04 AM »
Perhaps Russia will start requiring visas for foreigners to exit Russia?  :laugh:

They do some times if you over stay your visa. It happened to me once and cost me a $400 fine, on top of the cost to make an exit visa.  ;D
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2015, 08:18:00 AM »
Here you are all getting your knickers in a twist over a possible proposal where the form and nature of the beast has not yet been disclosed.

No wonder some of you all get so easily confused.

Here's the deal: CLICK HERE!

In essence there is a call, arising from the recent air disaster, for a way to provide detailed information to Russians before they travel abroad. The speaker on the radio program, a Duma member, Vadim Solovyov, said that there were various ways on the table to communicate information to travelers before they travel. It was made clear that there was no intention, if such a scheme was introduced, to restrict travel, just to ensure that travelers know of specific, notified risks and that they accept the consequences arising from their choice.

As a traveler, I know to look at the UK.gov sites for specific destinations, but most travelers do not and thus travel completely uninformed. Some form of concrete notification seems to make sense to me - especially in the context, for Russia, of heightened risks to travelers. Unlike, for example, the US where the government simply bans people from traveling to certain destinations, Solovyov made it clear that this was not on the cards - people go where they want, but they go having made an informed choice.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online msmoby

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2015, 09:08:55 AM »
Andrewfi

As you know Russians cannot go where they want
Anywhere the natiin has an extradition treaty with the yanks...if you work for the govt....you can't go.

Just keeping you 'honest'...

Offline Manny

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2015, 09:27:35 AM »

By this, I assume you are saying they are banned from some places like Americans are with Cuba? Enlighten us, where cant Russians go?

..and even if you DO make it to the airport - the tv news has been reminding you that if you have any outstanding fines - you can't leave ! :chuckle:

The UK stop you now if you owe big tax, VAT or child support on exit. They try not to howl it from the rooftops, but the system is in place. How well it actually works I am not sure. That would be a reasonable rule though Cant pay your fines/bills? Cant travel.

I apologise.
And so he should.........

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2015, 09:40:09 AM »
Moby, as so often happens, you are showing signs of confusion. Whether the confusion is an honest one due to an information deficit, or a less honest pretence due to your boredom and innate characteristics I don't know.

So, yes, some Russians working in certain areas of government work are restricted in terms of travel. That is hardly a big surprise given work related security constraints. Now that your information deficit is corrected you can, I am sure, honestly agree that this is a rather different and limited case as compared to overall restrictions upon travel destinations imposed by certain other places; or even, as Manny notes, restrictions upon exit for various choices of several well known countries.

To reiterate, the possible proposal, one of several possibilities being considered, is an information transfer system from government to citizens and does not envisage a restriction of travel upon individuals.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Ste

• Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2015, 09:46:48 AM »

By this, I assume you are saying they are banned from some places like Americans are with Cuba? Enlighten us, where cant Russians go?

The UK stop you now if you owe big tax, VAT or child support on exit. They try not to howl it from the rooftops, but the system is in place. How well it actually works I am not sure. That would be a reasonable rule though Cant pay your fines/bills? Cant travel.

UKVI have a link to HMRC and no doubt by now, CSA or whatever it's called now.
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.