The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: WADA: Doping in Sports in Russia  (Read 3123 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: WADA: Doping in Sports in Russia
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2016, 06:48:37 AM »
I personally find this line ironic...

Such meddling aims “to turn sport into an instrument of geopolitical pressure”

Meanwhile Putin is accused of cheating in sports as an instrument to bolster his own popularity and Russia's perceived importance in the political world.

I am not sure what you are getting at here.
Putin has NOT been accused of cheating in any sports. Whilst he enjoys judo I do not think he competes and certainly not in the Olympics.

If you mean that Putin has spoken out against the politicisation of sport - well, yes he's the source of the quote.
Perhaps irony does not mean what you think it means?

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline froid

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2016, 07:03:21 AM »

Well maybe you should take some remedial English courses then. 
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Offline bagalia

• Spouses Country: Ukraine/USA
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2016, 02:01:24 PM »
Really now. Putin has no control over the FSB and cannot be held complicit with any tiny little thing they may get involved in.
Misery is the river of the world; everybody row, everybody row.

Offline froid

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »
Russia loses appeal against Rio 2016 ban on track and field athletes!

Since they lost the appeal that leaves open the possibility that the IOC will ban all of Russia's athletes.  Tune in Sunday for that story.
Look, we're gonna spend half the night driving around the Hills looking for this one party and you're going to say it sucks and we're all gonna leave and then we're gonna go look for this other party. But all the parties and all the bars, they all suck. <-Same goes for forums!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2016, 04:20:19 AM »

Well maybe you should take some remedial English courses then.

Froid, it might help us all if you actually constructed paragraphs with ideas and did not use imaginary constructs such as suggesting the the Russian president is an active competitor in international sports. :)

I understand your words, but the ideas simply make no sense.

Yes, I know, the Marching Morons are here.

Having read the WADA report it is clear that there's no way that the Russian Olympic team can be allowed to compete because to do so would give the lie to the accusations made against the athletes, sporting organisations and the case constructed against them.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2016, 09:54:16 AM »

Yes, I know, the Marching Morons are here.

Having read the WADA report it is clear that there's no way that the Russian Olympic team can be allowed to compete because to do so would give the lie to the accusations made against the athletes, sporting organisations and the case constructed against them.

So you were wrong....... they fudge it......and all the team Russia (most) will compete.

Of course we will have to wait and see, those virgin's and paragons of virtue what more they will think of......on their effort to attack Russia and that terrible dictator... Putin.

Probably will also stop American's importing wives from Russia and the poor American men will have to live with local models with a backside the size of the back of a bus!  :laugh:
"For every beauty there is an eye to see it. For every truth there is an ear to hear it."

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2016, 10:20:53 AM »
I confess to a huge degree of surprise!

There's a degree of fudge and shoulder sloping given that the final choice is down to the individual international federations.

This allows the IOC to deny culpability, they are passing through a door opened by the FBI's Comey the other week.

On the whole good news for Russia, the Olympics and primarily the athletes of all nations who can know that any awards are  for their victory over the best of their peers.

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2017, 06:04:00 PM »
Of course this article has the typical western media slant, but 95 Russian athletes were cleared.

World Anti-DopingAgency Clears 95 Russian Athletes

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/sports/olympics/russian-doping-wada.html?referer=https://www.google.com/
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online msmoby

« Reply #83 on: September 13, 2017, 01:04:26 AM »
Of course this article has the typical western media slant, but 95 Russian athletes were cleared.

World Anti-DopingAgency Clears 95 Russian Athletes

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/09/12/sports/olympics/russian-doping-wada.html?referer=https://www.google.com/

May be I truly do have English 'reading comprehension issues'... as I failed to see ANY western slant / bias ...

1/ It points out a whistle blower kicked this all off

2/ Russia HAS been aggressively defending then conciliatory.

For any athlete to give up their lives to compete and then be forbidden because of the possible actions of others - so desperate to win - must be truly awful.

I look forward to seeing RU athletes competing on a level - drug free - playing field, sea or mountain top