The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: UK visitor VISA refused  (Read 10045 times)

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
UK visitor VISA refused
« on: November 05, 2015, 03:22:04 AM »
SC received a refusal and a stamp in her passport to that effect this morning from the Brits..

I would have refused her as the firm the UK use - TLScontact - although we paid for a premiumchecking service - manged to send her application WITHOUT the translations for the supporting documents  - showing her ownership of property , vehicles, etc.

I had started a complaints proceedure 2 weeks previously - as the outsourced firm refused to send on the translations.

She was refused on the basis that she was 'not intending to come to the UK for a short visit and I am not satisfied you will leave the UK at the end of this visit''

My MP even tried to get the translations to the Moscow - but they  said they had 'already decided' That was 10 days ago - yet DHL only turned up, today

No right of appeal is allowed.

Moby 'bee  in bonnet time'
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Manny

Re: UK visitor VISA refused
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 02:35:37 AM »
If she has the passport refusal stamp, doesn't that kibosh future applications generally?
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 03:00:16 AM »
Manny raises an interesting point and it seems the answer is a qualified 'yes'. But not only for the UK.

Moby, as you might know, it is usual to have to answer a question about visa refusal when applying for any visa. The stamp in the passport makes a lie very difficult. In addition various governments maintain a database of shared visa information. The target's data will now be on that database.

Moby might want to discuss with her why it would be that the application was refused in this way. Does she have a history of visa abuse, not necessarily in respect of the UK?

Correct me if I  am wrong but might I recall a post from you to the effect of your plans being for your Russian friend to settle with you in the UK? Given that you have published your name and id info for both yourself and id information for she it'd seem that you may well have provided the grounds for the refusal by your very own hand.

When we tell the internet that we are a dog should we be surprised when that information is used?
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 03:07:03 AM »
Sorry for the double post. To clarify, all visa refusals get a stamp in the back of the passport. The stamp is quite discreet. The important record though is the database entry.

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 03:18:45 AM »
It would appear you can ask for an administrative review: https://www.gov.uk/ask-for-a-visa-administrative-review/if-youre-outside-the-uk
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 03:27:44 AM »
Not applicable here.

This does not apply for Standard Visitor visas: CLICK HERE!

Additionally and on a broader topic:
This is not a right of appeal but is for redress in case of administrative errors. So, if they got a name wrong and that led to a refusal on the basis of misidentification then this is the correct process.

A refusal based upon the opinion of the staff doing their job is not a part of the purview of the review process.

The visa was refused with a reason given. Attempting to prove a negative, that overstay is not intended, is not going to work.

I find myself wondering just who is being protected, albeit accidentally, from whom.

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 04:50:09 AM »
You can ask for a reconsideration.

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 04:59:08 AM »
You can ask for a reconsideration.

Only if the application was made in the UK CLICK HERE!

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 05:12:15 AM »
In my experience ECM's will reconsider if there was an error made due to no fault of the applicant, it's always worth a punt.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2015, 05:26:04 AM »
Sorry to hear, Moby. That's got to be very disheartening.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2015, 06:31:42 AM »

Moby, maybe you could do what I am about to do? Think outside the box and do the reverse?

Offline Borsch

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2015, 07:50:32 AM »
That sux to hear :(

Edit: Just reread your post...  You want to get a second chance because you paid the TLS company for a 'document checking service' that wasn't thorough enough to find the holes in her application (missing translations). As bad a job as I think this TLS company did, I think it comes down to lack of preparation on your behalf for something as serious as a Visa to your home country. It clearly states on the UK Visa website https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa/documents-you-must-provide that You’ll also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that aren’t in English or Welsh. This is something you could have easily told her and assuming all her supporting documents are fine, there would not have been any issues. I think this serves as a lesson to everyone here - do your own research and double check your/her applications. Future Visas are definitely hampered or they wouldn't have bother to stamp your passport (even to other countries as they will take note of the passport refusal stamp).

I think the key question is whether the missing translated documents alone caused the screw up or whether there may be more to it.

What other supporting documents did she have? From this thread and your other it seems like only car and home ownership. If that is the case then that would not be enough.

- Car ownership is listed as a 'do not send us unless requested'.
- I can't find any mention of home ownership as a supporting document.

While also listed as 'do not send us unless requested', I would have also included a return flight booking. Financial is listed as a must.

Also I'm not sure what this TLS thing is? Is it an agent? Official/unofficial?

From your TLS site:
"You will need to decide for yourself which documents best meet the Immigration Rules."
"If you have documents that are not in English or Welsh, you need to provide a full translation that can be independently verified by the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI)."

From that it is pretty clear there is no hand holding and you needed to choose the correct documents and supply the required translations of documents yourself.

What firm was doing the translations? TLS? Someone else? If someone else then I wouldn't start an application until I had them.

Other factors:
- Does she work or study? If neither then that could be a red flag for them
- Has she had Visa refusals in the past?
- Does she have stamps from other western regions like Europe/US/Australia/etc to help her application?

Offline Manny

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2015, 10:53:28 AM »
Not applicable here.

This does not apply for Standard Visitor visas: CLICK HERE!

Where does it say this in your link?

From what I read there, she can.

I would say he has a case as there was incomplete documentation caused by the TLS outfit. Once he has written to a minister and a few MP's, she'll probably get it.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2015, 10:54:55 AM »
You missed it then:

You can only ask for an administrative review if all of the following apply:

you’re outside the UK
    you applied outside the UK
    your application was refused on or after 6 April 2015
    you don’t have a right of appeal against the refusal
    you didn’t make an application as a visitor or a short term student

Her visa type would have been the Standard Visitor (I am guessing she is not a student in the UK - but even then no review)

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2015, 10:58:44 AM »
Her visa type would have been the Standard Visitor (I am guessing she is not a student in the UK - but even then no review)

We don't really know her visa type yet, and we don't know if Moby injected himself into the process or let her do it on her own.

Ste is the bloke who knows all about this stuff.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2015, 11:01:10 AM »

We don't really know her visa type yet, and we don't know if Moby injected himself into the process or let her do it on her own.

Ste is the bloke who knows all about this stuff.

If you look, there's not much else it can be.

If she were staying long term then his blah blah about her returning would not be an issue. The ONLY case in which that would be relevant is the Standard Visa. ;)

Moby also told us that they used a visa agent - but that their performance did not meet his standards.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2015, 11:50:11 AM »
AIUI, you have to use TLS, they are UKVI's agent. Everything's outsourced now.

If they didn't send the translated docs then they've cocked up in a material way and as I've said, if you write to the ECM at the consulate they will look at again and consider the points raised.

If the refusal says 'you have failed to provide etc...' in relation to the missing translations, that's one thing, but the ECO on making the decision may have based it on other factors too, namely the usuals - reasons to return.

We just got a visit visa for Nadia's Mum, was an absolute breeze. She's been and gone and now has an addiction to Carrs Pasties.

http://www.carrspasties.co.uk

I bought 72 from Bolton diverting from picking MIL up from Manchester Airport.....

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2015, 12:37:20 PM »
Moby told us the reason given was 'reasons to return'. Seems translations of what would've been fairly obvious documents would not have helped. That was why I suggested he might want to have a chat with his beauty to see if there was any history.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2015, 12:39:18 PM »
Moby told us the reason given was 'reasons to return'. Seems translations of what would've been fairly obvious documents would not have helped. That was why I suggested he might want to have a chat with his beauty to see if there was any history.

And Ste, but bloody hell, let me be the first to say here: WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!  :hidechair:

I like a nice Cornish Pasty as much as the next man but isn't this a tad excessive?

Offline Maxx

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2015, 12:40:37 PM »

Dang! Ste, those look tasty!

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2015, 12:41:26 PM »

You haz X-Ray vision?  tiphat

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2015, 01:24:02 PM »

And Ste, but bloody hell, let me be the first to say here: WHO ATE ALL THE PIES!  :hidechair:

I like a nice Cornish Pasty as much as the next man but isn't this a tad excessive?

Well!!

Carrs deliver, but it's expensive as it comes in an ice filled polystyrene box, and the carriage is a but steep. They only operate out of Bolton, I live in Leeds.

So whenever I go to Bolton, I stock up! catering packs, frozen unbaked, as I am a Ltd company I wangled a trade discount, and I get a collection discount (don't understand that) means I'm getting a £1.40 pastie for roughly £0.80.

They are the only thing I miss about my home town, oh that and Black Peas, but my eldest daughter is visiting next week and bringing a shit load! I;ve got some steeping in pan overnight for tomorrow, hmmmmm

Offline Manny

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2015, 01:31:44 PM »
and I get a collection discount (don't understand that)

Coz they ain't sending them, they pass that saving along.

Offline Ste

• RIP
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2015, 01:32:47 PM »
and I get a collection discount (don't understand that)

Coz they ain't sending them, they pass that saving along.

Yeah I thought that, catering packs must have delivery built in - whereas for the consumer it's added on tip...

Offline Maxx

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2015, 05:59:09 PM »

You haz X-Ray vision?  tiphat

No, I just looked at Ste's link.

Registration