The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Schengen Visa for Ukrainians Traveling Through Eastern Europe  (Read 792 times)

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
Schengen Visa for Ukrainians Traveling Through Eastern Europe
« on: October 27, 2015, 09:14:16 AM »
There is a thread sort of relating to this and here's the link:

http://ruadventures.com/forum/index.php/topic,24873.0.html

I wanted to start a new thread on this however in the hopes of getting some more specific information. I will of course read the http://www.schengenvisainfo.com/how-to-apply-schengen-visa/  website, but would appreciate any constructive advice on this.

I'd like to celebrate NYE in Budapest with a lady from Ukraine that I recently met. Our tentative itinerary would be as follows:

- I arrive in Budapest from the States on December 27th
- She arrives the next day by air from Kyiv and I meet her at the airport upon arrival
- We spend several days traveling Hungary and celebrate NYE in Budapest
- On January 1st or 2nd we travel to Romania for approximately a week
- On roughly the 7th or 8th we return to Hungary for a few more days
- On January 12th she flies back to Kyiv and I to the U.S.

Hungary is a Schengen Zone country. Romania is not. This itinerary would require entry into a Schengen country twice, so I assume that she needs to apply for a "multiple entry visa"?

For those experienced with this, what are her chances of getting approved? What can be done to improve her chances?

Additionally, someone mentioned to me of an apparent requirement (or at least a recommendation) to submit proof of a Bankomat card loaded with 500 Euros with the Visa application as proof of "spending money" while on holiday.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Snide comments?

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Schengen Visa for Ukrainians Traveling Through Eastern Europe
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 11:12:32 AM »
Hi GC

This website will help you

http://www.schengenvisainfo.com/

Your lady will require a 35 Euro Tourist Visa - multiple entry - this will negate the need for  Romania Visa

http://www.schengenvisainfo.com/tourist-schengen-visa/

http://www.mae.ro/en/node/2040

If you make it clear that YOU are supporting her - then that will help. I suggest that you consider ordering a travel pre-paid Credit card for her - as a secondary cardholder - load it - and demonstrate that you will pay for all flights, accommodation and meals - plus assume responsibility for her - ensuring she will not over-stay.

If you can demonstrate previous meetings - that will help

What Documentation is Required..

What documentation is required?
First of all, one must download the application form from the internet and fill it completely and sincerely. You can electronically fill in the form for a Schengen Visa and print it out.
One photo is to be attached; the photo must have a passport format, full-face capture, and a light background. The photo must be recently taken.
The passport as well as all the copies of your previous visas, valid for at least 3 months prior to your departure is required. The passport must have at least two blank pages.
One must have a copy of the reservation of the return ticket for the time intended to be travelling. It is not recommendable to buy the ticket before getting the visa, if not necessary.
The travel medical insurance policy is to be secured, covering any medical emergency with hospital care and travel back to one’s native country due to medical motives. This health insurance policy has to cover expenses up to 30,000 euros, the sum depending on the residing days, and also it has to be valid in all Schengen countries. The health insurance policy must be purchased before picking up the visa and if your visa is refused you can cancel it!
Tourist visa (Visiting friends or relatives)
The current bank statement (preferably for the last 6 months)
In case one doesn’t have a bank account or doesn’t own enough funds to be taking care of their expenses during this travel, one must ask the visiting friends or relatives to sign an “official affidavit of support” at the corresponding office in his/her place of residence. Make sure you carry the original document when applying for the visa.
The applicant description of their trip, the purpose of travelling, the time frame and all the personal date written down in a letter.
In case of first time travelers, one must submit also:
Income tax returns for the last three years
Appointment letter
Proof of legal entity of the company
A reference letter from the employer
In case the applicant is the owner of the company he/she is working for, the business registration, tax returns and the latest bank statement is to be attached.
The plane ticket reservation (One shall buy the ticket after getting the visa, as recommended).
Other documents, specified by the visa subtype

Good Luck

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 11:31:23 AM »
Different countries have different requirements for Schengen visa applications  so some places having a viable bank account with a requisite amount available is essential,  in others,  not so much. However you don't want to try visa shopping. Follow the rules and apply in the appropriate countries.

Bearing in mind that each state has the right to  refuse entry at any time you should be OK,  if you have a multi entry visa from one country,  legitimately applied for and used, then a following visit on that visa to another destination country should be OK but there is no guarantee of that. Having two different visas might be 'safer'  because it removes a point of contention at the border. Bear in mind that Ukraine has 40,000,000 inhabitants and 38,000,000 want to be somewhere better.  The other 2,000,000 are already in Russia. So you shouldn't expect the world's easiest ride in this regard.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 11:54:36 AM »
Personally I think after just one meeting with a women there shouldn't be even any talk of traveling here or there, making visa's for this country and that country. Its the worst possible thing anyone can do and something you should be very cautious about.
I would of thought its the sort of thing you do after several meetings ?

Kiev is a great place to spend NY and of course would be much easier. Christmas is just 8 weeks away :)
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
If you make it clear that YOU are supporting her - then that will help.

I disagree. I wouldn't mention it at all. American visits and funds trip with Ukrainian in the EU will be a big red flag.

Money in the bank always helps. The EU doesn't want to admit vagrants. But how much she needs should be in the guidelines. 500 Euros doesn't sound enough for 2+ weeks to me.

Hungary will be among the easier of Schengens to get, so I wouldn't be worried there.

I cant comment on Romania as I have no experience of there.
I apologise.
And so he should.........

Offline Borsch

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 05:43:01 PM »
The way I'm reading it, it's not 500 Euros for 2 weeks. It's 500 Euros simply for proof of funds for the Shengen Visa which is only about 8-9 days in Hungary according to his schedule. Actual expenses will be funded by him in addition to the 500 Euros. He would presumably want to keep it as low as possible to reduce any impact of possible scammings. Not all countries have the same $ requirements due to different costs of living. According to the below website that is well above the range for his stay in Hungary. Romania could receive the same proof and would be none the wiser.

http://www.schengenvisitorvisa.com/#!proof-of-funds/c12dw
Note this is not an official website. I don't know if all countries have it on their official websites but I have seen it on at least 2 country's websites before... if you want to double check it.

Romania is not part of Shengen yet so she will need a separate visa for that.

I agree that you can't really vouch for her with an 'letter of support' like you would back in your country. You are not a citizen of the country you are visiting (I'm guessing) so it's weightless - you can fly back home to skip out on paying anything you've sworn to pay.

I don't know if a double entry visa is more expensive but generally speaking they tend to be harder to get. I would plan your trip around a single entry visa to increase chances. So do Romania last or first or not at all. Why would you want to return to Hungary? That doesn't make sense considering there will be backtracking and you can buy return flights with different return points and still receive the discount over a single flight. Just fly home from Romania.

Also, with all the refugee issues, who knows if that will affect her application in certain countries like Hungary who built a wall to keep them out. I'm not saying she is a refugee but she is from a poorer country and could be seen as a toll on their system. Choosing that country only seems like a unnecessary risk. This paragraph is all hypothetical of course and I would search around more on Shengen visas for FSU women. Not on these forums but general travel ones too.

Also, be aware that she will need to be physically be in a consulate/embassy for fingerprinting. If she lives close then no problem, if in a different city then she will have to travel all the way there.

Not sure if this is mandatory but in proof of tourism purpose, include prebooked return flights and accommodation. Make sure they are 100% (or very close to that) refundable if you want to be covered for any potential losses.

Offline Borsch

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 06:08:58 PM »
PS: Romania is great! Just be aware that it is the birthplace of all taxi scams. Worse than Ukraine even :chuckle:

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 09:06:50 PM »
Thanks to all who responded. There was some useful information and links in the above posts and I thoroughly appreciate it. I'm starting to get my mind wrapped around the basics of what's required.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 09:07:14 PM »
Personally I think after just one meeting with a women there shouldn't be even any talk of traveling here or there, making visa's for this country and that country. Its the worst possible thing anyone can do and something you should be very cautious about.
I would of thought its the sort of thing you do after several meetings ?

Kiev is a great place to spend NY and of course would be much easier. Christmas is just 8 weeks away :)

We just recently met and spent nine days (or partial days) together in her home city. I met her little daughter several times and invited her parents out to dinner at a nice Georgian place. All checks out so far.

With that said however, in the grand scheme of getting to know someone well enough to propose a lifetime commitment, it's just scratching the surface. I firmly believe in spending as much time around the person and her family as possible and closely watching how they interact. A lot can be learned from it.

I too think that the vacation trips should be reserved for after making several trips to see her, but this one in question is a little different than the tropical holidays to the Dominican Republic, etc. I have friends and family both in Hungary and Romania and wanted her to see my culture and how/where I grew up for the first six years of my life. It seems to me that it would help her understand me a little better.

Besides, I can tie in a trip to see said friends and family with a trip to get to know Alla better and traveling with someone is also a great way to see how they improvise and handle stressful situations.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 09:35:31 PM »
Borsch, Romania will honor a Schengen Visa so she can enter with that, but she will need a Multiple Entry Schengen to enter back into Hungary from Romania. Actually they are obligated to honor it is my understanding.

As for the itinerary I've laid out, it's just what works for me (us).

Offline Manny

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 11:15:55 PM »
Borsch, Romania will honor a Schengen Visa so she can enter with that, but she will need a Multiple Entry Schengen to enter back into Hungary from Romania. Actually they are obligated to honor it is my understanding.

That being the case, one would imagine Hungary is used to issuing multi-entry visas for this reason. Many people must hop between the two on business, etc. It is no loss to them if they issue a short term visa that is multi-entry. I would be giving your local Hungarian embassy a call to ask if this is usual for applications in general.
I apologise.
And so he should.........

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2015, 05:22:41 AM »

That being the case, one would imagine Hungary is used to issuing multi-entry visas for this reason. Many people must hop between the two on business, etc. It is no loss to them if they issue a short term visa that is multi-entry. I would be giving your local Hungarian embassy a call to ask if this is usual for applications in general.

Good point. I will give the one in NYC a jingle.