The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Diets and 'facts' on the internet  (Read 548 times)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Diets and 'facts' on the internet
« on: October 25, 2015, 04:07:48 AM »
Those sharing an existence with a FSU W know that they try to take an interest in their man's health and what he eats.

SC is a vegetarian and interested in a 'healthy lifestyle' to the point - I sometimes think- of obsession...

I learnt, today about a people she admires - she calls them the Hunzi - and she was thrilled to see a documentary about them on the Russian ip tv system she is testing for me.

I had never heard of these people.. they - apparently live long, active lives - in the foothills of the Himalayas on n.India / Pakistan

They live on a diet of Almonds and dried Apricots... as does - though not exclusively - SC   

Having never heard of the people - possibly we have another word for them - I checked out her claims..

http://hunzaculture.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/hunzakut-lifestyle.html

OK - so they DO live a long time ... folks in their 80'sand 90's repairing roads

Then, I found this ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burusho_people

''he people of Hunza are by some noted for their exceptionally long life expectancy, others describe this as a longevity narrative and cite a life expectancy of 53 years for men and 52 for women, although with a high standard deviation.

So... who's 'fact' to believe... ?

All I know is that I'll soon be back on a SC - type diet ...

Offline Borsch

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Diets and 'facts' on the internet
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 02:32:47 AM »
There are are couple of things...

Firstly, whether they really do live that old on average. Secondary, whether eating Almonds and Apricots will bestow longevity.

With Wikipedia anyone can write anything so I'd take anything on there with a grain of salt. Similarly, the blog is just 1 guy's opinion. Most of the men could die off at 40-50 on average due to being unhealthy. They are off the radar so to speak because mortality rates are not being looked at, it is the longevity of the ones that are old and have survived that grab people's attention - as such the data is already skewed.

The blog does touch on the second point and that is there are other factors involved. I would guess exercise and generations of exposure to that environment being the most important. I don't think if I started eating trail mix tomorrow for the rest of my life I would suddenly become healthy.  :chuckle: In fact, I'd probably end up missing nutrients and become more unhealthy!

Long story short, I don't buy it...

Whether it's true or not, her watching the documentary has probably solidified her view even more... Good luck ;D