The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Being Russian is not just a matter of where one is born  (Read 2427 times)

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Being Russian is not just a matter of where one is born
« on: October 01, 2015, 04:23:02 AM »
As we know,  being Russian is not just a matter of where one is born. Of course, as Putin notes, the voluntary ending of the Soviet Union left many millions of Russians now stranded in places not Russia.

Kazakhstan has many who consider themselves Russian and quite many of them look more asiatic than slavic.

Being Russian is at least in part a cultural thing.  One can not be American in the same way that one can be Russian. I guess that quite a few English people might recognise something akin to what we call Russian Soul.  That which makes a Russian Russian,  rather than just someone who happens to have a Russian passport is the same kind of cultural experience and lineage that makes the Englishman English.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
Re: Being Russian is not just a matter of where one is born
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 07:21:31 PM »
As we know,  being Russian is not just a matter of where one is born. Of course, as Putin notes, the voluntary ending of the Soviet Union left many millions of Russians now stranded in places not Russia.

Kazakhstan has many who consider themselves Russian and quite many of them look more asiatic than slavic.

Being Russian is at least in part a cultural thing.  One can not be American in the same way that one can be Russian. I guess that quite a few English people might recognise something akin to what we call Russian Soul.  That which makes a Russian Russian,  rather than just someone who happens to have a Russian passport is the same kind of cultural experience and lineage that makes the Englishman English.

Great wording  :) (And, agreed 100% ;) )
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Justmd

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 12:04:12 AM »

Being Russian is not a part of a cultural thing...it is being a Russian who was born in Kazakhstan from Russian parents who moved to Kazakhstan because the USSR decided this is where her family would go to work for the better meant of the motherland....just saying.

Offline Justmd

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 12:15:18 AM »

Great wording  :) (And, agreed 100% ;) )

Why did you agree with this post 100% ?

Online leslied

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 12:27:29 AM »

Being Russian is not a part of a cultural thing...it is being a Russian who was born in Kazakhstan from Russian parents who moved to Kazakhstan because the USSR decided this is where her family would go to work for the better meant of the motherland....just saying.

Putin commented in his US interview that the break up of the USSR left 25 million Russians living outside the Russian Federation.  My wife, like yours was was affected in this way.  She was a "military brat"  who lived where her father's orders took him, first in East Germany, later in Ukraine.  Both her parents were Russian.  She identifies herself as Russian, though she has never lived there.

Her brothers eldest daughter identifies herself as Ukrainian even though she is entirely from Russian stock.  Nationality is a mixture of genetics and culture.  I have worked with Azeri's who look Turkish but regard themselves as ethnically Russian.  There are people in New England who regard themselves as Irish, though their genetic links to celtic stock are weak or even non existent.

Offline Justmd

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 01:06:54 AM »

Putin commented in his US interview that the break up of the USSR left 25 million Russians living outside the Russian Federation.  My wife, like yours was was affected in this way.  She was a "military brat"  who lived where her father's orders took him, first in East Germany, later in Ukraine.  Both her parents were Russian.  She identifies herself as Russian, though she has never lived there.

Her brothers eldest daughter identifies herself as Ukrainian even though she is entirely from Russian stock.  Nationality is a mixture of genetics and culture.  I have worked with Azeri's who look Turkish but regard themselves as ethnically Russian.  There are people in New England who regard themselves as Irish, though their genetic links to celtic stock are weak or even non existent.

My wife is one who does not like to discuss much about her past life in Kazakhstan under the former USSR rule as a young girl, she will only say at times standing in long lines at the market for the chance of a loaf of bread or maybe toilet paper? Guess is it the true Russian way to not complain...I have nothing but love and respect for her.

Offline Justmd

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 01:14:20 AM »

Our son has his 6 month check up next week...not sure if he could have a better mother! my family and friends agree.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 07:57:36 AM »

My wife is one who does not like to discuss much about her past life in Kazakhstan under the former USSR rule as a young girl, she will only say at times standing in long lines at the market for the chance of a loaf of bread or maybe toilet paper? Guess is it the true Russian way to not complain...I have nothing but love and respect for her.

Precisely my recollections of living in a former Soviet Bloc country. Unfortunately, the bottom line comes to this:

The current president's actions and mentality only bring the country in question closer to this rather than further away.

Not that I defend my own president's communist mentality.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 09:10:05 AM »
I suppose she probably doesn't like to speak of the extreme caution one had to exercise in public regarding speaking out against the government either. Not knowing who was an informant and all....

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 12:02:07 PM »
I suppose she probably doesn't like to speak of the extreme caution one had to exercise in public regarding speaking out against the government either. Not knowing who was an informant and all....

I doubt she is old enough to remember that time.

Online msmoby

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 12:19:17 PM »

:ROFL:

The likes of Pussy Riot prove that you aren't on the page...

Offline Manny

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 05:33:54 PM »

:ROFL:

The likes of Pussy Riot prove that you aren't on the page...

Read it again and elaborate?

Offline Justmd

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 10:40:47 PM »

She remebers clearly as a young girl having to wear a red scarf everyday to school,how the military personal was always well feed but her family struggled just have the basic's to survive and how her parents worked harsh hours for little pay with no choice...and taking turns in market lines with her sister,mother.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2015, 01:36:51 AM »
She remebers clearly as a young girl having to wear a red scarf everyday to school,how the military personal was always well feed but her family struggled just have the basic's to survive and how her parents worked harsh hours for little pay with no choice...and taking turns in market lines with her sister,mother.
We all know the USSR it was hard times back then. Thats why it collapsed in 1990/1991. Not sure what that had to do with the gov't though, as nobody back then was rich, after the collaps, thats when Oligarch became present.

My own parents also had it rough back then and they lived in Netherlands, not the USSR.

Mark.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2015, 03:10:05 AM »
JustMD, the chances are that she is remembering the times AFTER the Soviet Union closed down. Things were really shitty until the end of the 20th century and certainly worse than before the end of the SU.

Yes, there was queuing for stuff, but stuff there was (usually). The reason for queues was more that the stuff was the right stuff at the wrong time. That's why folks carried little net bags all the time. Today you might see pork on sale, tomorrow soap. That was a failing of central planning.

After the end of the Soviet Union there were times when there was nothing. The pics you see of empty shelves? Very often they were from the early years of independence for the countries that had been part of the Soviet Union.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus