The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: I have just come back from Russia.  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Orchid

• Spouses Country: USA
  • Trips: Resident
I have just come back from Russia.
« on: October 10, 2015, 10:17:53 AM »
There are so many changes in a country since I left it five years ago!
Moscow airport was empty. Not many travelers at all.
Russian people were patriotic and proud of Putin from the beginning of conversation, but later all of them were complaining about quality of life.
For now Russia is a poor country, but it is very close to poverty.
People are under stress and very nervous.
Life is more expensive then in the US.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
Re: I have just come back from Russia.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »
Russian people were patriotic and proud of Putin from the beginning of conversation, but later all of them were complaining about quality of life.

Moscow has always been known to be very expensive - was it better or worse in the regional cities and oblasts - Russia has always had a tradition of Dachas to grow and can fruits and vegetables to survive hard times when there is no money - like the late 90s or even WWII - is it really that bad in the provinces as well as Moscow?

Offline Annushka

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 09:02:35 PM »

Hello, Orchid! Please, indicate: a town you visited in Russia? If possible, confirm the photo.

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 02:08:31 AM »

Hello, Orchid! Please, indicate: a town you visited in Russia? If possible, confirm the photo.

Annushka,

What Orchid says is not so far from reality..

Transero bust ... Russian tourism down in Turkey, Vietnam, Thailand, Turkey, Egypt, Cyprus...

No problem to book last minute sleeper trains with 'Soft' compartments and no need to share..

Apartments hard to sell as the property market is 'slow' and credit rates high...

I can supply photos from Moscow, Sochi .....

I just don't see so many folk blaming the President for the economy

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 06:07:05 AM »

Annushka,

Transero bust ... Russian tourism down in Turkey, Vietnam, Thailand, Turkey, Egypt, Cyprus...

No problem to book last minute sleeper trains with 'Soft' compartments and no need to share..

Apartments hard to sell as the property market is 'slow' and credit rates high...

How many BIG US airline companies have gone bust over the years? Blame the president?

I really don't know why you spend half your life writing about how bad the Russian economy is? Get a life, before some real patriot shoots you :smoking:

What is the big deal?? Every country has a recession at times and so what? Did you ever do history?  It all goes round in circles anyway  :) Best concentrate on keeping your other half happy then how bad you think the Russian economy is, or maybe she will get bored of you and look for a more interesting guy :thumbsup:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Orchid

• Spouses Country: USA
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 06:24:39 AM »
Get a life, before some real patriot shoots you.

Really???
Just wondering who is that real patriot?
May be it is you who are going to shoot English men?

Best concentrate on keeping your other half happy then how bad you think the Russian economy is, or maybe she will get bored of you and look for a more interesting guy :thumbsup:

Just wondering who is that more interesting guy?
May be it is you again?

I can tell you the next:
You do not have enough bullets to shoot all English and American men.
You are not strong enough to "entertain" their women.

Cool down!!!

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 06:37:13 AM »
I've not been to Russia for a couple years now, but I do stay in contact with some of my Russian friends.

Their opinions and experience backup what Orchid  shared with us.
After the  2018 elections when they raise the pension age to 65 taxes raised, then maybe the whole story will come out
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 06:59:32 AM »
I've not been to Russia for a couple years now, but I do stay in contact with some of my Russian friends.

After the  2018 elections when they raise the pension age to 65 taxes raised, then maybe the whole story will come out

What opinions and experience?

Do your friends live in 'Special Russia' where pensions are paid out at a lower rate than in 'Real Russia'?
Are they in the 'Special Russia' where there is no health service, or in 'Real Russia' where health care is free, UNLESS you choose to pay?
Do they go to the 'Special Russian Banks' that pay out significantly higher rates of interest on savings accounts than 'Real Russian Banks'?

Tom, these are not matters of 'opinion' or 'experience' these are matters of objective fact.

And yes, retirement ages are changing but that is not now, that is in the future. As you know, raising retirement ages is common, in fact the norm in the civilized world, and is, in large part due to folks living longer. As yet we do not know how that will affect pensions, but for sure they are unlikely to be going down. But that ain't now, it ain't today's experience. It isn't what Real Russians living in Real Russia experience.

Here's a thing for you both.
Go to the search engine called Google. You can check for yourself pension payments, health care entitlements and even bank deposit rates. There's loads more too. I tried checking for 'Special Russia' but got the same numbers as for the rest of Russia.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 07:20:11 AM »

What opinions and experience?

Do your friends live in 'Special Russia' where pensions are paid out at a lower rate than in 'Real Russia'?
Are they in the 'Special Russia' where there is no health service, or in 'Real Russia' where health care is free, UNLESS you choose to pay?
Do they go to the 'Special Russian Banks' that pay out significantly higher rates of interest on savings accounts than 'Real Russian Banks'?

Tom, these are not matters of 'opinion' or 'experience' these are matters of objective fact.

And yes, retirement ages are changing but that is not now, that is in the future. As you know, raising retirement ages is common, in fact the norm in the civilized world, and is, in large part due to folks living longer. As yet we do not know how that will affect pensions, but for sure they are unlikely to be going down. But that ain't now, it ain't today's experience. It isn't what Real Russians living in Real Russia experience.

Here's a thing for you both.
Go to the search engine called Google. You can check for yourself pension payments, health care entitlements and even bank deposit rates. There's loads more too. I tried checking for 'Special Russia' but got the same numbers as for the rest of Russia.

Andrew, if you have lived in Russia, you would know there are special considerations for each class of individuals.
Free health care is exactly that. Keep in mind you get what you pay for.
I had extensive experience dealing with the Russian healthcare when my wife was seeking treatment. I won't discuss the events on this public forum, but it's not what you  portray.

Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 07:41:42 AM »

Annushka,

How many BIG US airline companies have gone bust over the years? Blame the president?

I really don't know why you spend half your life writing about how bad the Russian economy is? Get a life, before some real patriot shoots you :smoking:

What is the big deal?? Every country has a recession at times and so what? Did you ever do history?  It all goes round in circles anyway  :) Best concentrate on keeping your other half happy then how bad you think the Russian economy is, or maybe she will get bored of you and look for a more interesting guy :thumbsup:

Come on Steve Boy. At least acknowledge the fact that sanctions and low oil prices are having an effect on the Russian economy. The sad part is that the average Vlad and Boris are the ones to suffer from "The Other Vlad's" actions. Same ol' shit. Different Country. We're a slave to our politicians and their self interests unfortunately.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 07:48:37 AM »

Annushka,

Moby, at the Domodedovo airport in the summer navigation period no flight delays, so the scheduled departure time, without fuss. The airport runs to the south and east of Moscow.

http://www.domodedovo.ru/en/main/about/

Please, respond with a 1 time: where this scandalous person flying from America? All arrivals from America to Sheremetyevo Airport! ;D
And in Abkhazia shashlik sell 100 rubles / 100 grams. :party0011:

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 08:02:42 AM »
Annush,

An airport that runs on time is usually an indicator of an airport that is not busy and has less travelers. In a way......not something to be proud of.

Offline Annushka

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 09:11:02 AM »
Annush,

An airport that runs on time is usually an indicator of an airport that is not busy and has less travelers. In a way......not something to be proud of.

Do you prefer a Scam? :o

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 09:14:20 AM »
Annush,

Schiphol airport is in trouble then , 99% of all flights depart on time.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline GuppyCaptain

• Actively on the Search
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 09:35:14 AM »
There you go.....what do I know? I've only spent the last 17 years as an airline pilot. Airports are my home away from home.