The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Where to holiday with an FSUW  (Read 1590 times)

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
  • Trips: 5-10
Where to holiday with an FSUW
« on: October 05, 2015, 12:51:21 PM »
Hi Guys,

As the title suggest I'm looking for some advice.

Really wanted to go to Asia with my girl but looking like not enough time and the flights are crazy money around the time I'm looking at - Around Xmas and new year.

Somewhere warm with things to do nearby..... we're not sit by the pool (bleed the all inclusive) for 7 day types.

Recommened destinations please and package holiday companies that operate from Ukraine (I know the UK agents) would also be appreciated. I'm sure somebody went to Turkey recently and posted a link but I can't find the post.

She doesn't have a schegen Visa yet.

Thanks

I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Where to holiday with an FSUW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:54:51 PM »
If you fancy Turkey, Leslied is probably your bloke to PM. He has a place there he rents out. I couldn't find the post on it just now.
I apologise.
And so he should.........

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:17:41 PM »
I would defo recommend Turkey, Istanbul if you don't want to be stuck with to many tourists.
It's inexpensive , lots to do and great food and entertainment in the evenings  :party0011:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online leslied

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 02:05:49 PM »
Hello Luke,

No problems to travel to Turkey from Ukraine.  Visa on arrival - real easy.  Try Ukraine airlines to Antalya. Our flat is in the center of Alanya.  huge lounge (70 sqm), kitchen, 3 bedrooms, 1.5 bathrooms. Air-conditioned and fully equipped.  Still not booked for Xmas and New Year.

Alanya is usually sunny (low 20s) in the day can drop to 8-10 at night at that time of year.  Most of the restaurants and bars are open - there are hundreds to chose from.  Despite what you read in the western press it is perfectly safe.  Lots of history around here Aspendos amphitheatre is 1500 years old and still used for concerts.  Alanya castle was visited by Julius Caesar.  the mountains and forests are great for hiking and of course there is the eastern Med.

PM me if you are interested.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 03:25:58 PM »
Thanks for the responses so far.

I've been Antalya before. It was nice but not sure I'd return. Thanks for the offer Leslied.

Online msmoby

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 03:39:45 PM »
You are picking THE most expensive time.. and mosr northern hemisphere places are cool.

Did you think about Egypt's Red Sea resorts?

You might find booking via a UA company will bring better value.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 02:59:27 AM »
You are picking THE most expensive time.. and mosr northern hemisphere places are cool.

Did you think about Egypt's Red Sea resorts?

You might find booking via a UA company will bring better value.

Do you have any links moby?

Online msmoby

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 03:17:37 AM »

Do you have any links moby?

I googled under 'отдых фирмы Украина' and was snowed under.

There are many Russian firms like,

http://www.tez-tour.com/ru

that seem to still offer holidays originating from UA airports - but I don't know how the 25 October 2015 respective bans of each other's flights will effect things.. (:)

We used ANEX Tours to go on  a  5/6 star all inclusive to Turkey in late March / April and it was 125 GBP each for a week - including flights from Krasnodar in SW Russia to Antalya airport.. SILLY MONEY

http://www.anextour.ru/Home.aspx - if you search under the region section to the top right- you'll find UA originating cities

Offline Danchik

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 04:47:31 AM »
Not sure your budget, but you might take a look at a resort in the Dominican Republic (Punta Cana). Most places will be expensive a that time of year. With Egypt, you get what you pay for. :)
When it is dark enough, men see the stars.

Online msmoby

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 05:33:53 AM »
With Egypt, you get what you pay for. :)

Indeed, where else can one find warm sea in the middle of Winter  - 4 hours flying time from Kyiv ...  ?

Whilst I have only been to Sharm, once ... SC has been several times - prefers Hurghada.. Many FSU folk seem to keep coming back ....

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/egypt/red-sea-coast/hurghada/things-to-do

Offline Annushka

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 07:41:44 AM »

Offline Annushka

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 07:45:44 AM »
With Egypt, you get what you pay for. :)

Indeed, where else can one find warm sea in the middle of Winter  - 4 hours flying time from Kyiv ...  ?

Whilst I have only been to Sharm, once ... SC has been several times - prefers Hurghada.. Many FSU folk seem to keep coming back ....

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/egypt/red-sea-coast/hurghada/things-to-do

Why not India? tiphat

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCRg9Sl4sQg" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCRg9Sl4sQg</a>

Online Dogsoldier

• Spouses Country: Україна
  • Trips: 10-20
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 07:46:19 AM »
I hear Kos has some great deals going.....
All I know is that Moby knows nothing - Plato

Offline rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 07:56:29 AM »
We're away for Xmas this year and you'll get the best bang for your buck in Egypt. I decided against it because quite frankly, I'm not paying to go on holiday and be surrounded by angry muslim men staring at my wife. We're heading for Cape Verde. Pretty good prices, lovely winter climate, no religious wars, 5 star luxury and pretty convenient compared with long haul destinations.

Visa on arrival for both of us too!  :-X

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 08:57:33 AM »
Montenegro :) For the NY itself the hotels are pricier than normally, but then you don't have to stay at a hotel (why would you?), https://www.airbnb.com has some cool offers with honest reviews, i have a friend who rents in Budva (it's small, perfect for 2 and the location is great, they too are listed at various rental sites so you can see pics and all), you can rent a car for really low rated - check main rental companies, or i can recommend a cousin of mine who has a small company (but they offer better support & customer service than the big ones);
you don't need visas - neither she, nor you; most people can speak some English and all understand and can conduct basic conversation in Russian;

we celebrate Christmas by CO calendar (January 6th), but anyway that doesn't influence the prices.

From Budva you can go daily to various amazing destinations in 30-50/60 km,

such as: Bay of Kotor http://www.lonelyplanet.com/montenegro/bay-of-kotor

Cetinje: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/montenegro/cetinje

Old Bar: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/montenegro/coastal-montenegro/bar

and others.

You could fly to Dubrovnik, there are cheap flies from UK, she'd need a visa though, and i am not sure is it difficult to get one.

(Croatia is great too, but they celebrate Christmas the same time like you and probably  it will be complicated; i am not sure, i can check, but i think most of the venues are closed for couple of days.)

I checked for you about visas though: http://www.russia.hr/ru/visas/ukraina-visa/

Seems after all it's not a problem for her to get  one, if you are travelling with a Croatian agency; she wouldn't even need to go to the consulate in person.

She can call or email Croatian Embassy in Ukraine:
Посольство Хорватии в Киеве (по адресу: Киев, ул. Артема 51/50)
тел. 00380 44 486 21 22, 486 58 62,  факс: 00380 44 484 69 43
 E-mail: croemb.ukraine@mvpei.hr

(Consulate is open Mon- Thu from 10 am to noon)

The good side if you opt for Croatia is that she gets Schengen, which later enables the two of you to travel elsewhere in Europe and will be helpful when she'll be getting UK visa ;)

Hope this helps  :)

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams