The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: United states bombed hospital in Afghanistan.  (Read 1948 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Re: United states bombed hospital in Afghanistan.
« Reply #45 on: November 06, 2015, 08:43:56 AM »
Tom Cat if you check the Global Research article  that your article references (1st paragraph) you'll find that the Global Research article uses an unnamed source. As Andrew has said repeatedly unnamed sources are invariably fiction and therefore unreliable and totally false.
Except if you can use google, it turned up the the planes, their squad number and airbase where they departed from.

So, doesn't look like a dud story even though it used an 'unnamed' source within USA military for confirmation. The blackout itself was enough confirmation that planes struck a powerplant and airbase of departure make it american. No need for sources, its all there.

Its just not news. It was already reported as early as 12 october. Almost a full month ago.

Source: Syrian government.

This bizarre story was initially carried in USA Today and by SANA in Damascus. 10AM Saturday morning, Damascus time, two US built F 16 aircraft crossed the Turkish border into Syria at low altitude. Their bomb loads were dropped on power plants east of Aleppo with collateral damage in a nearby neighborhoods killing up to 5 and injuring as many as a dozen more.

The aircraft flew from Incirlik Air Force Base, home to America’s 10th Air Wing. This is the first coalition attack officially directed against civilian infrastructure targets. The US bombing campaign which began in 2014, has “accidentally” destroyed a number of key Syrian infrastructure projects including water purification and power facilities.

As with the recent bombing in Afghanistan that destroyed a Doctors Without Borders hospital there, American officials are giving out no information on the pilots who flew the aircraft or what unannounced policy change by the Obama government would allow what is a dangerous provocation.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #46 on: November 06, 2015, 08:54:45 AM »
Tom Cat if you check the Global Research article  that your article references (1st paragraph) you'll find that the Global Research article uses an unnamed source. As Andrew has said repeatedly unnamed sources are invariably fiction and therefore unreliable and totally false.
Except if you can use google, it turned up the the planes, their squad number and airbase where they departed from.

So, doesn't look like a dud story even though it used an 'unnamed' source within USA military for confirmation. The blackout itself was enough confirmation that planes struck a powerplant and airbase of departure make it american. No need for sources, its all there.

Its just not news. It was already reported as early as 12 october. Almost a full month ago.

This bizarre story was initially carried in USA Today and by SANA in Damascus. 10AM Saturday morning, Damascus time, two US built F 16 aircraft crossed the Turkish border into Syria at low altitude. Their bomb loads were dropped on power plants east of Aleppo with collateral damage in a nearby neighborhoods killing up to 5 and injuring as many as a dozen more.

The aircraft flew from Incirlik Air Force Base, home to America’s 10th Air Wing. This is the first coalition attack officially directed against civilian infrastructure targets. The US bombing campaign which began in 2014, has “accidentally” destroyed a number of key Syrian infrastructure projects including water purification and power facilities.

As with the recent bombing in Afghanistan that destroyed a Doctors Without Borders hospital there, American officials are giving out no information on the pilots who flew the aircraft or what unannounced policy change by the Obama government would allow what is a dangerous provocation.

Markje I hope you're not suggesting that Andrew is wrong. Worse yet that Google is correct and Andrew is wrong. We both know that can't be.  :laugh:
Ipsa scientia potestas est. Knowledge itself is power.   Sir Francis Bacon

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #47 on: November 06, 2015, 10:06:28 AM »
BBC busted lying again on this subject: https://www.rt.com/op-edge/321022-cowing-bbc-afghanistan-hospital/#

Like RT saying, it wasn't a bomb on the plane ''

https://www.rt.com/op-edge/320347-russia-plane-crash-causes/

But today, they suspended flights..

As for the article.... it is interesting how you agree with a left of centre, anti-establishment, 'conspiracy theorist' when it is a pro Kremlin / anti BBC article..

Too busy, now - but if you allow ...will demonstrate his howlers

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #48 on: November 06, 2015, 10:56:39 AM »

Markje got around to checking out your post. You didn't provide a link (poor Internet etiquette) however I'm assuming your post is from this article or one of its clones.

The veteranstoday.com story links to no unbiased sources, in fact it links to no sources. It says "This bizarre story was initially carried in USA Today" but gives no link or screen capture to verify this.

Even stranger the veteranstoday.com story states "If we can confirm this, it would be “smoking gun” evidence of a long suspected US Air Force move against the Obama presidency" then goes on to state "Conformation received from Syrian Intelligence, 5:40PM EST Sunday.". Is the veteranstoday.com article saying the US Air Force has just staged a military coup against Obama and the civilian administration?

Markje, this story is total BS. 

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #49 on: November 06, 2015, 11:49:53 AM »
BBC busted lying again on this subject: https://www.rt.com/op-edge/321022-cowing-bbc-afghanistan-hospital/#

I can't stand the BBC. It was always in the back of mind, exactly how this mob operates but during the Scottish Independence referendum, it was clear to all how bias the coverage was. Sickly to watch and difficult to stomach.

We don't actually watch all that much TV and when we do, its usually on demand. Technically, we don't need a TV licence and I no longer contribute to the state run, propaganda machine. I explained all to the phone operator, voiced my dismay at the referendum coverage and made it clear I would no longer contribute to a broken system.

The guy then started an argument and accused me of cancelling payment because 'WE' lost the referendum!  :chuckle:

An idiot some weeks later appeared at the door but I'd revoked his right of entry and told him I no longer watch live TV. I've since got a letter saying they've accepted the matter although I may get a visit again in two years time. Good luck and from what I can gather, a large number of Scots have done likewise. 

Tw@ts.

Offline Manny

« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2015, 11:53:55 AM »
Not just Scots, we don't fund the propaganda channel either. I too revoked their assumed right of access. We watch pretty much no live telly either, just a handful of programmes on catch up, few of which are BBC made.

Ignore the two years later "we are just checking" letter. Revocation is revocation.
I apologise.
And so he should.........

Online rosco

• Trips: 10-20
« Reply #51 on: November 06, 2015, 12:19:37 PM »
Not just Scots, we don't fund the propaganda channel either. I too revoked their assumed right of access. We watch pretty much no live telly either, just a handful of programmes on catch up, few of which are BBC made.

Ignore the two years later "we are just checking" letter. Revocation is revocation.

And social media seems to back up the theory that an increasing number of people all over the UK, are increasingly unhappy with the BBC, it's content and the lack of transparency.

Bring it on!  :king:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »
Westcoast, just to clarify your lack of comprehension: I do not say that an unnamed source is to use your words:  invariably fiction and therefore unreliable and totally false.

That, apart from any other factor, would infer an absolute and that would be a very foolhardy thing to do.

Quite often an unnamed source is a good first lead giving access to an idea or event that can be verified later.
Reliance upon an unnamed source as a source of fact is never a good idea.

Sadly at the moment US and other western/English speaking media are using this tactic to a much greater degree than hitherto.
A good journalist with good credibility should be trustworthy when necessity forces the use of an unnamed source. Sadly, in recent years, even those with good reputations have often become notable for misusing the privilege.

So, please do not misuse my words erroneously. If you are unsure about something ask politely for assistance and it will be rendered to you. If you purposefully misused my words, dishonestly, then your own credibility has fallen somewhat lower than it was a few minutes ago. Yes, to the whispered comment from the circle seats, he didn't have much credibility before either.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #53 on: November 06, 2015, 02:58:37 PM »
Westcoast, just to clarify your lack of comprehension: I do not say that an unnamed source is to use your words:  invariably fiction and therefore unreliable and totally false.

That, apart from any other factor, would infer an absolute and that would be a very foolhardy thing to do.

Quite often an unnamed source is a good first lead giving access to an idea or event that can be verified later.

Sadly at the moment US and other western/English speaking media are using this tactic to a much greater degree than hitherto.
A good journalist with good credibility should be trustworthy when necessity forces the use of an unnamed source. Sadly, in recent years, even those with good reputations have often become notable for misusing the privilege.

So, please do not misuse my words erroneously. If you are unsure about something ask politely for assistance and it will be rendered to you. If you purposefully misused my words, dishonestly, then your own credibility has fallen somewhat lower than it was a few minutes ago. Yes, to the whispered comment from the circle seats, he didn't have much credibility before either.

Andrew are you now stating that you didn't say that an unnamed sourced is "fictional" and that an unnamed source is "next door to useless in terms of credibility"?

Your post from October 21, 2015, 08:29:58 AM appears to say that you did.

As we have seen the news/entertainment media have been consistently short of faces above which they can paste a quote. The only authorities that they can usually call upon is the fictional 'unnamed official source'.
Even bad journalists and poor sub-editors are fully aware that the 'unnamed official source' is next door to useless in terms of credibility.

bolding above mine

So I did quote you accurately after all.  tiphat

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2015, 04:36:05 PM »
Updated excuses!

U.S. Troops Suspended After Afghan Hospital Bombing

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-troops-suspended-after-afghan-hospital-bombing-1448472961
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #55 on: December 01, 2015, 07:51:57 AM »
Westcoast, you are illiterate!

In English there is a difference between a generality and an absolute. Ask your carer for guidance on this issue. The Chinese language has a similar version of these concepts.

So, no, you neither quoted or paraphrased accurately. Again, ask your carer for guidance about these two different concepts.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #56 on: December 01, 2015, 10:10:18 AM »
Westcoast, you are illiterate!

In English there is a difference between a generality and an absolute. Ask your carer for guidance on this issue. The Chinese language has a similar version of these concepts.

So, no, you neither quoted or paraphrased accurately. Again, ask your carer for guidance about these two different concepts.

Andy, Andy, Andy why do you bother arguing with me, you know you're wrong.

« Reply #52 on: November 06, 2015, 12:34:43 PM »

bold above min

The above post is the one under discussion, at least by me.

Not the bolded sentence "Reliance upon an unnamed source as a source of fact is never a good idea." Notice the last 4 words "never a good idea". 'Never' is an absolute Andy look it up.