The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Movie: "Pawn Sacrifice" Recommended  (Read 249 times)

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 20+
Movie: "Pawn Sacrifice" Recommended
« on: September 27, 2015, 08:30:25 PM »
Went to see this movie today.  Found it a compelling story and quite entertaining.

Having lived through this period it was interesting to watch the screen re-creation of the chess battle between the USA and USSR back in the mid-1970's.

A good date movie to go and see with your FSU wife.
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
Re: Movie: "Pawn Sacrifice" Recommended
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »
Went to see this movie today.  Found it a compelling story and quite entertaining.

Having lived through this period it was interesting to watch the screen re-creation of the chess battle between the USA and USSR back in the mid-1970's.

A good date movie to go and see with your FSU wife.

Thanks for your recommendation.  I've seen the trailers for it and it looks fascinating.  I played Chess in Jr. HS but of course not at the level of these guys.  I still play occasionally.  Based on my enjoyment of the game and great reviews from the critics I look forward to seeing this soon.   :thumbsup:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Movie: "Pawn Sacrifice" Recommended
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 02:01:43 AM »
Thanks, Shakey

Looks like a good movie...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1596345/

Set during the Cold War, American chess prodigy Bobby Fischer finds himself caught between two superpowers and his own struggles as he challenges the Soviet Empire.