The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Ukraine bans Russian airlines as part of war sanctions  (Read 315 times)

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
Ukraine bans Russian airlines as part of war sanctions
« on: September 25, 2015, 04:06:15 PM »
This really bums me out.  Aeroflot has a comparable business class product over the pond, plus a *legitimate* intra-Europe business class (similar to a 'domestic' business class seat in the US on a transcon flight), for usually half (or less) the price of flying KLM/AF/DL (I am something of a SkyTeam hostage b/c of my domestic flying patterns). 

Will have to get something sorted w/r/t flights to KBP....or maybe bounce to Turkey and then to ODS....

B/B

Ukraine bans Russian airlines as part of war sanctions

Ukraine is banning flights by Russian airlines from Oct. 25 as part of a wave of sanctions against Russia over its support for separatists in the east of the country, the government said on Friday.

Kiev said last week it was imposing restrictions on more than 90 companies or groups, mostly from Russia, and including airlines Transaero (TAER.MM) and Aeroflot (AFLT.MM), the national flag carrier.

Spelling out the details of the sanctions, Prime Minister Arseny Yatseniuk told a government meeting: "In accordance with a decision by the Security Council, the government of Ukraine is adopting a decision to ban flights by Russian companies, primarily Aeroflot and Transaero, to Ukraine."

The government website quoted him as saying: "Russian planes with the Russian tricolor have no business in Ukrainian airports."

He added that any Russian planes carrying military hardware or troops had also been banned from flying over Ukrainian territory.

. . . . .

Ukraine has accused Russia of sending arms and troops to help pro-Moscow separatists fighting its soldiers in the east of the country, in a conflict which has killed nearly 8,000 people since April 2014. Russia denies involvement.

. . . . .

Aeroflot said it had not received formal notification of the decision from Ukraine.

"Only when and if Aeroflot receives official notification from the aviation authorities of Ukraine that flights have been canceled will the company inform passengers and explain the rules on ticket reimbursement," it said in a statement.

The Ukrainian government statement also forbade Ukrainian state companies from using Russian software, particularly from the Russian anti-virus giant Kaspersky Lab.

Ukrainian state organizations were banned from using goods or services produced by sanctioned Russian companies. "The government is insisting on the immediate implementation of all sanctions defined by the decision of the Security Council," Yatseniuk said.
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
Re: Ukraine bans Russian airlines as part of war sanctions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 08:37:54 PM »
B.B I think there is another thread on this topic.

A while back I found that the best way to reach Odessa was via Praag using Czech Airlines.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online B.B.

• Supporting Member
Re: Ukraine bans Russian airlines as part of war sanctions
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 11:36:43 PM »
B.B I think there is another thread on this topic.

I did a search on "Aeroflot" and nothing turned up  back to prior to the announcement.

A while back I found that the best way to reach Odessa was via Praag using Czech Airlines.

It looks like there's a way to do it, but it involves a stop in Frankfurt and then Prague, at least for the hypothetical dates I put in.  I'd almost rather transit CDG (egad...)

I am really hoping this doesn't go down (although I am likewise surprised it didn't happen sooner).

B/B
Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.