The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Putin Interview on 60 Minutes (USA television)  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Putin Interview on 60 Minutes (USA television)
« on: September 25, 2015, 02:59:10 AM »
This seems to be a trailer for a longer show, which sounds like it may be interesting.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/preview-russian-president-vladimir-putin-interview-with-charlie-rose-60-minutes/
I apologise.
And so he should.........

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
Re: Putin Interview on 60 Minutes (USA television)
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 08:23:55 PM »
Great interview.  He came off rational, intelligent, and even personable. 

I'd encourage everyone to watch if you missed it live tonight.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/vladimir-putin-russian-president-60-minutes-charlie-rose/
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline leslied

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 01:34:33 AM »
Just watched Parts 1 & 2.  Putin, as always, comes over as suave and sophisticated.  He has always come across as a reasonable man who does unreasonable things...

I concur with his views on Syria.  The western backed regime change has failed.  Time to back the government and enable them to defeat the extremists.  After that has been achieved it is up to the Syrian people how their government evolves  As if  :ROFL: That will never be allowed to happen.

Offline Manny

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 01:51:49 AM »
I will be watching it this afternoon, but there is a short article on it here: http://journalitico.com/2015/09/28/putin-on-60-minutes-twitter-reacts/
I apologise.

Online msmoby

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2015, 02:33:33 AM »
As usual he comes across as the guy who says 'I'm lying to you face' whilst smiling at you. His analogies are predictable and SO easy to 'pop' with a valid follow up.

Example, when he discusses Yanu's fleeing justice... If he is so certain the 'colour revolutions' and  'removal' of Yanu' was 'illegitimate' - how does he explain Yanu's Political party expelling him and two subsequent elections  making it clear how most Ukrainians felt?

There isn't a civil war going on in Europe, so the 'excuse' about Russian troops being used in Ukraine - comparing with US forces in Europe - which he ducked - should have been seized on.

I didn't see anything to change my personal - long term  - negative opinion of a guy who proves the expression 'absolute power corrupts, absolutely'

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2015, 03:31:37 AM »
As usual he comes across as the guy who says 'I'm lying to you face' whilst smiling at you. His analogies are predictable and SO easy to 'pop' with a valid follow up.

Example, when he discusses Yanu's fleeing justice... If he is so certain the 'colour revolutions' and  'removal' of Yanu' was 'illegitimate' - how does he explain Yanu's Political party expelling him and two subsequent elections  making it clear how most Ukrainians felt?
this has been debated and explained extensivly, why should he do it again when it is completely off-topic to the topic at hand (ISIS/Syria)

There isn't a civil war going on in Europe, so the 'excuse' about Russian troops being used in Ukraine - comparing with US forces in Europe - which he ducked - should have been seized on.
Off-topic so both parties decided not to go there. When you have only 1 hour to debate, you have to pick/choose your topics.

I didn't see anything to change my personal - long term  - negative opinion of a guy who proves the expression 'absolute power corrupts, absolutely'
Thats your choice.

Politicians lie all the time, but putin lies the least , propaganda with the truth is the path of least resistance.

You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online msmoby

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2015, 04:54:15 AM »
Russia Todays headline on the interview

''The sovereignty of all states, including Ukraine, should be respected, Russian President Vladimir Putin told CBS’s ‘60 Minutes''

So, can we expect a withdrawal from Crimea after this revelation  ? :sick0012:

Online msmoby

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 05:08:00 AM »

this has been debated and explained extensivly, why should he do it again when it is completely off-topic to the topic at hand (ISIS/Syria)

It's entirely relevant and Russia Today are making it their 'headline' , right now... It isn't up for debate ..Yanu's dismissal from his own political party often gets 'glossed over' by those who make excuses for direct - military - interference that in Ukraine's affairs.

Off-topic so both parties decided not to go there. When you have only 1 hour to debate, you have to pick/choose your topics.

HOW is it 'off-topic', is it was a 'response' from VVP ?. It is a typical poor analogy that I can excuse from folk that aren't well travelled...

Politicians lie all the time, but putin lies the least , propaganda with the truth is the path of least resistance.
[/quote]

Markje, the above statement would be hilarious - if it wasn't so obviously incorrect. I do not dispute VVP is the democratically elected leader - I DO remind you that he has engineered a situation whereby creating a strong, coordinated opposition is nigh on impossible ... and if one looks like a 'threat' you aren't a patriot, you'll likely have committed a 'criminal offence', be 'insane' or 'funded by a third nation's NGO' ....

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2015, 08:38:37 AM »

The broken record is back to TROLL  the official F.O British bull ...... and he forgets to talk about the bombing of Iraq and Libya.... from her Majestys war mongers.

Obviously part of your ad-hoc services to .... you know who, is trolling with his broken record about Ukraine..... etc.

Sorry Moby  but, here, Nobody bites your bull.......... change your tune and stick to the skirt.

:P
"If you enjoy eating healthy food, visit: www.greekcooking.uk

Offline shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2015, 08:45:29 AM »

I thought he did raise a valid point about having 25 million citizens scattered all over the FSU when it broke up.  How many of these people would have preferred repatriation to establishing citizenship in the new country?  We'll never know because that problem was not directly addressed until Crimea.   
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Manny

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2015, 09:49:01 AM »
A very good interview I thought. Although it seemed to seamlessly slice with a previous interview from 2005 without much explanation. Unless it was the autoplay. If it was, I didn't see the original conclude, so we didn't see all there was.

Also the interpreter was not reporting what he said verbatim, but not much message seems to have been lost despite that.
I apologise.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2015, 10:01:23 AM »
A very good interview I thought. Although it seemed to seamlessly slice with a previous interview from 2005 without much explanation. Unless it was the autoplay. If it was, I didn't see the original conclude, so we didn't see all there was.

Also the interpreter was not reporting what he said verbatim, but not much message seems to have been lost despite that.

The full interview and transcript with the 'missing bits' is on RT. There was a big chunk about Syria lopped out.
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 10:06:08 AM »
Here will do:

Kerry could not manage to be bothered to stifle his yawn during Obama's speech.
Here is HD video: https://twitter.com/RT_America
"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2015, 10:39:52 AM »
I watched the interview last night and also this morning and find it very interesting and good interview.

Putin was calm and relaxed and obviously has acquired the experience how to come across likeable. I do not think I have missed any of the sliced irritating episodes....... but that is America for you.

Just noticed Andrews post and tried to watch Obama.... but his style and voice staccato..... makes me want to puke, not a consummate orator .

BTW I had a look around the BBC earlier..... and no mentioned of the interview.... any where.

So the Zionist Bastion of truth ......... forgot to mention such an important interview.

Obviously the Jewish Governors of the BBC,  do not want us to hear what he has to say.........
"If you enjoy eating healthy food, visit: www.greekcooking.uk

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2015, 11:09:07 AM »
Yes, for one supposed to be a great orator Obama did not come across at all well. Was he nervous, or simply uncomfortable with his material? Dunno, but it was not good.

As for watching the Putin speech, that was not easy to find. RTAmerica ballsed up the translations so the English channel was showing the Russian feed. I ended up on the RT.com site. The UN interpreter, the woman, she was not very good. RT's bloke was pretty good.

The speech covered the right areas, made the right noises and, as is often the case with Putin's speeches, it served to underline actions already taken rather than talk about airy fairy future stuff - so, although he talked up proposals for working together through the UN on matter such as the environment, the stuff everybody was there to see was about Syria and there it was a confirmation of what we already know - the actions of the past two weeks have changed the way that the world's leaders look at Syria and ISIS.

This was another exhibition of 'we don't say much, but when we say it we do it'. Or, as they used to say in Victorian days: Russia has been busy suiting word to deed.
That was much less evident in the Obama speech which seemed to be about justification of past mistakes and handing around blame.