The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Life in Switzerland compared to life in the US.  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Life in Switzerland compared to life in the US.
« on: September 25, 2015, 02:54:17 AM »
I happened upon an interesting article, an American woman who went to Switzerland to work for a decade, and is less than happy to be back in the US.

Quite interesting I thought, see what you think: http://www.vox.com/2015/7/21/8974435/switzerland-work-life-balance
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Maxx

• Trips: 5-10
Re: Life in Switzerland compared to life in the US.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 10:21:17 AM »

While I witnessed the benefits of the Swiss tax system for the average person, I did not benefit from them due to my American citizenship. Instead, I paid both Swiss tax and American tax while living in Switzerland. Unfortunately, the US is one of the only nations in the world where tax is citizen-based instead of resident-based. (China, in a new push to enforce tax law for citizens working abroad, is one of the others, along with Eritrea.)

This is the part that got me. People outside the US perceive an arrogance of the government of the US. They see it in US foreign policy and they see it in other ways to. No better example of this arrogance is the requirement of US citizens to pay US taxes even though they have been out of the country for that tax year. Even if years and decades go by without setting foot in the US all income has to be reported. They force their citizens to report this and they force foreign banks to inform to the IRS about US citizens or the IRS will seize 30% of their US based assets and cut them off SWIFT*. If residing outside the US gives one a reduced tax benefit the difference has to be sent to the IRS. No one is allowed to catch a break. It is as if the government sees us as their property.

* After 100s of years of Swiss bank secrecy written into their laws Switzerland now breaks this bank confidentiality agreement with their clients and reports to the US government. The law passed by Congress that compelled them is called FATCA.   

Offline Maxx

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 10:26:45 AM »

This goes with my post above. This just came out.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/185720/half-continue-say-gov-immediate-threat.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_content=morelink&utm_campaign=syndication

POLITICS
SEPTEMBER 21, 2015

Half in U.S. Continue to Say Gov't Is an Immediate Threat

by Frank Newport
STORY HIGHLIGHTS

49% say government poses immediate threat to rights, freedoms
Republicans much more likely to see government as threat
Americans give very diverse explanations for these views
PRINCETON, N.J. -- Almost half of Americans, 49%, say the federal government poses "an immediate threat to the rights and freedoms of ordinary citizens," similar to what was found in previous surveys conducted over the last five years. When this question was first asked in 2003, less than a third of Americans held this attitude.

Offline JeanClaude

• Spouses Country: Several girls, not all at the same time
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 12:00:11 PM »
I happened upon an interesting article, an American woman who went to Switzerland to work for a decade, and is less than happy to be back in the US.

Quite interesting I thought, see what you think: http://www.vox.com/2015/7/21/8974435/switzerland-work-life-balance

Well, it doesnt get much better then Switzerland,.., thats because direct democracy.
Not that we dont have filthy lefties trying to import a subclass of illiterates for nationwrecking purposes, every countries has the Ste's and Mobies wanting colored people as leftist jerkoff hankies,

but CITIZEN NULLIFICATION keeps these people in check!
a day not trolled is a day not lived

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 12:16:56 PM »

Well, it doesnt get much better then Switzerland,.., thats because direct democracy.
Not that we dont have filthy lefties trying to import a subclass of illiterates for nationwrecking purposes, every countries has the Ste's and Mobies wanting colored people as leftist jerkoff hankies,

JeanClaude you're not a citizen of Switzerland and not likely to be one in the coming years so you don't get to vote. 
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

That means I'm a subject matter expert on all things Russia, Ukraine and UK.

Offline JeanClaude

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »

JeanClaude you're not a citizen of Switzerland and not likely to be one in the coming years so you don't get to vote.

Leftist multicutist like you would have a hard time in Switzerland   But..Its not about me being able to vote or not..., its about a country and a people having their act together!! I cant think of a place that is more minarchist then Switzerland (relatively speaking)
But I guess that flew over your head at Mach 6.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 04:23:50 PM »

Actually that's not really true - same as would be the case in many European countries.
I'll let you find out for yourself where, and to what degree, your knowledge is in deficit - now that you know it is. ;)
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline B.B.

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 04:35:58 PM »

Hey, she's welcome to stay there.  This was basically "American Chick Wants Free Stuff, Paid For By Others.  Whines." 

She can always work independently if her life is not meeting her expectations.  I'm sure she has plenty of opinions on how the Swiss could do things better, like let in a bunch of immigrants from  :censored: ed up countries, etc. and other opinions they don't require....

B/B

Saving the World, One Clue at a Time
If your religion insults my intelligence, don't be surprised when my intelligence insults your religion.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 04:44:26 PM »

Westy,

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/becoming-a-citizen/29288376

Even JC might get citizenship - if he marries a citizen - in less than the 10-12 years he would normally have to wait ..
I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2015, 05:00:01 PM »

Westy,

Even JC might get citizenship - if he marries a citizen - in less than the 10-12 years he would normally have to wait ..

Always a possibility but have you heard the way he talks about women? Who would want to marry him?
andrewfi says ''Proximity is almost no guarantee of authority" and "in many cases, distance gives a better picture with less emotional and subjective input."

Offline JeanClaude

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2015, 05:18:19 PM »

Westy,

Takes 13 years regardless if you are married or not, this is not some Marxist shithole like UK/Belgium/<whatever>, where they hand out passports for free.

I will get my C-license in December, (perm resident status). So in another 7 years I will apply citizenship Switzerland and ritually BURN!! my French password

Switzerland places high value on their citizenship, they don't treat it like toilet paper as in most leftist EU shitholes.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 1-5
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2015, 06:16:17 PM »
Last I checked the first $90K+ of income earned overseas is US IRS tax exempt otherwise no American Multi-National company could get any tech or executive workers to work overseas...  unless she is self employed or living with her swiss significant other - something to that matter.

Offline Maxx

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2015, 06:36:16 PM »
Last I checked the first $90K+ of income earned overseas is US IRS tax exempt otherwise no American Multi-National company could get any tech or executive workers to work overseas...  unless she is self employed or living with her swiss significant other - something to that matter.

I think it is now low 100s like $105K and you cannot be in the US for more than 30-40 days (around that) of that tax year. But that income exclusion works only if the taxes are high at the new residence. If they are low or non existant I believe the IRS expects the difference. A 1040 still has to be filed for the "income exclusion" and in on time. Instead of April 15th there is a June 15th deadline I believe. Honestly I can't be certain of the details. It is complicated and most expats who want to stay legal hire an accountant who specializes in international tax preparation. It is quite an irritation to American expats I understand.

Offline JeanClaude

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 06:52:29 PM »

My company is next door to Google Zurich headquaters, lots of muuricans here (lots of other nationalities aswell)
Google salaries start  at 140k CHF (thats about the same in USD).

US liberals are like muslims, they nag about certain  countries and but stand in line for a workpermit to live there.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2015, 08:55:23 PM »

My company is next door to Google Zurich headquaters, lots of muuricans here (lots of other nationalities aswell)
Google salaries start  at 140k CHF (thats about the same in USD).

US liberals are like muslims, they nag about certain  countries and but stand in line for a workpermit to live there.

JC you are starting to sound like an arrogant swiss mangina... the Swiss love to brag about how they can never be invaded yet the USA IRS and Treasury was able to bring Switzerland to its knees and put one of it oldest private banks out of business and fine others for billions for aiding and abetting US tax evasion.... with the real threat of cutting them off from the SWIFT interbank transfer system.  At the end of the day Switzerland is a tiny country of some 7 Million people that makes high quality watches, deep mountain bunkers and creative bank tax strategies when push comes to shove they crumble like a cookie.   

I was actually approached by a sleazy gulf UAE contractor for a Cyber Security gig in Kuwait as a civilian contractor for the US Army - yet they stated this contract was EXEMPT from US Labor laws - 40 hour weeks minimum were 70 hour weeks minimum etc... so the hourly rate turned out to be ridiculous and about one forth of what i am earning in the USA....  The only interesting aspect of the contract about a year and a half ago was the first $96K at the time was USA tax exempt except for up to 45 days+/- to visit family or take care of US business/properties etc.   

The job had been certified with the IRS as eligible for the income tax exemption and there was zero tax in Kuwait so they marketed the sleazy position with a heavy focus on the first $96K exemption from USA IRS taxes... so if the position is eligible and qualified for the USA IRS tax exemption there is no claw back if the country you work in had 0% tax or 50% tax did not matter...  The 70 hour a week requirement would have cut into my gym time and R&R time so I told them to eff off as they used several offshore companies (Company in a Company) to end around US labor laws even though it was a US Army contract - basically a Halliburton type deal with Bengaladeshi work conditions especially since they were seeking cleared US Military Veterans.  Totally illegal but anything goes in the Obamanation when proper superpac donations are made to the correct Obamunist Clintonistas of the CGI variety.

So bottom line is there is a process to have the overseas positions qualified and eligible for the IRS tax exemption - had the work conditions been reasonable I might have done some more due diligence but decided I wanted no part of working in ISIS friendly countries - would prefer to nuke the *snip*s instead.

Offline Manny

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2015, 12:44:52 AM »
the USA IRS and Treasury was able to bring Switzerland to its knees and put one of it oldest private banks out of business and fine others for billions for aiding and abetting US tax evasion.... with the real threat of cutting them off from the SWIFT interbank transfer system. 

Exactly the type of reason US aggression must be curbed, and de-dollarisation must continue.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline JeanClaude

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2015, 04:28:41 PM »
cuff:".... JC you are starting to sound like an arrogant swiss mangina ...."
You were caught making up bullshit about Swiss salaries. and normally you would be earning the same kind of money if you LISTENED and LEARNED, instead of hanging out with your redneck friends playing soldierboy because that brought you status and pension. Yes, we all know you are this super ethical person because you were a stormtrooper to the state!

cuff: "..the Swiss love to brag about how they can never be invaded.."
Less for Napoleon, nobody has been that stupid to even try since 1291, not even Hitler. Swiss militia forces numbered 300.000 during 1940-1945.

Switzerland is landlocked, so if everybody gangs up on you , you need to do the smart thing and give a little, if Switzerland had a seaport, it would have been a 100% different story.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2015, 07:51:37 PM »
cuff:".... JC you are starting to sound like an arrogant swiss mangina ...."
You were caught making up bullshit about Swiss salaries. and normally you would be earning the same kind of money if you LISTENED and LEARNED, instead of hanging out with your redneck friends playing soldierboy because that brought you status and pension. Yes, we all know you are this super ethical person because you were a stormtrooper to the state!

cuff: "..the Swiss love to brag about how they can never be invaded.."
Less for Napoleon, nobody has been that stupid to even try since 1291, not even Hitler. Swiss militia forces numbered 300.000 during 1940-1945.

Switzerland is landlocked, so if everybody gangs up on you , you need to do the smart thing and give a little, if Switzerland had a seaport, it would have been a 100% different story.

JC You must be phucking high on cocaine spiked cheap jug wine and lashing out at people - clearly something is not going well in your life - they have Psychiatrists for a reason even in Switzerland where everything is perfect.  Seems to me after reading your posts here for longer than I care to remember like you recently got dumped hard and need help.  You usually lack the testicular fortitude to be this vicious.

Offline JeanClaude

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2015, 10:44:45 PM »
You usually lack the testicular fortitude to be this vicious.

What did your friend Jeb Bush say... oh yeah its 'its his tone'.

"Tone" this! (*middle finger*)

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 09:14:44 PM »
the USA IRS and Treasury was able to bring Switzerland to its knees and put one of it oldest private banks out of business and fine others for billions for aiding and abetting US tax evasion.... with the real threat of cutting them off from the SWIFT interbank transfer system. 

Exactly the type of reason US aggression must be curbed, and de-dollarisation must continue.

Looks like WWIII will remedy de-dollarization first:

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/10/world-war-3-just-seconds-away/?ref=yfp

Curious which way the prevailing winds and jet streams flow from Syria?

Time to dig up those old Popular Mechanics volumes on building Fallout Shelters in the Shires while you still have time.

Offline WestCoast

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2015, 10:10:01 PM »

Looks like WWIII will remedy de-dollarization first:

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/10/world-war-3-just-seconds-away/?ref=yfp

Curious which way the prevailing winds and jet streams flow from Syria?

Time to dig up those old Popular Mechanics volumes on building Fallout Shelters in the Shires while you still have time.

There's a number of targets for Russian nukes in the US Pacific northwest. I'm sure some of the Russian nukes will fall short and hit Vancouver so we'll probably be destroyed. Better than living in a post apocalyptic nuke waste land.  :laugh:

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2015, 07:26:25 AM »
Huh LOL Westy WTF Over - I was actually talking tactical nukes over Syria and ISIS with fallout over Europa and Mecca and Medina based upon the prevailing winds at the time...  Think Chernobyl not Vancounobyl...  instead of a USA map got a Europe and middle East map?

Should be quite a few floating around showing the Islamists mass invasion of Europe for FREEBIES.

Moby is always defending the Islamists as he has so many Islamists friends - he must have a solid state drive full of invasion maps!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2015, 08:15:13 AM »
Huh LOL Westy WTF Over - I was actually talking tactical nukes over Syria and ISIS with fallout over Europa and Mecca and Medina based upon the prevailing winds at the time...  Think Chernobyl not Vancounobyl...  instead of a USA map got a Europe and middle East map?

Should be quite a few floating around showing the Islamists mass invasion of Europe for FREEBIES.

Moby is always defending the Islamists as he has so many Islamists friends - he must have a solid state drive full of invasion maps!

Lots of people say they have "Many friends" when in fact they have very few unless they go to  rent-a-friend.com
Its a bit like Facebook , that place is full to the brim of sado's pretending they are living a great life, when in fact they spend something like 10 hours a day packing peanuts into bags  :ROFL:  Thats how sad the world has become..
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Anteros

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2015, 12:16:34 PM »

Keep dreaming.  Another few years of economic drain and the Russian Ruble will be at about 150 to the  :money:   :chuckle:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline cufflinks

• Supporting Member
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 12:33:57 PM »
Forget Sweden, Denmark and Norway - Switzerland is the now European capital for Marxist Feminist Social Justice Warrior egalitarianism at the expense of Men (the patriarchy):

Switzerland : A one night stand can cost 3,000$ month for the next 26 years.

Beware of the new rules that are now being enforced in Switzerland. What the Swiss government have done is to state that any unmarried man that has sex with a girl that results in a birth has to pay support for the child and also alimony to the woman. Effectively you could pick up a women who is a cleaner earning a small wage, have a one night stand with her, and she decides to have the child , then if you are a high income earner, you would need to pay 1250 chf ( 1300$) for the child each month, plus Alimony to the woman to bring her up to your status in life.

The Swiss government are also trying to enforce a law that states that even if you are just dating a girl for a year, then this is some type of pseudo marriage, so you will need to pay her Alimony if you break up ...feminism gone crazy.

Switzerland is PERFECTO!