The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Ukraine closed the 'border' to Crimea ??  (Read 693 times)

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Ukraine closed the 'border' to Crimea ??
« on: September 21, 2015, 01:08:49 PM »
Has SC heard correctly - she says that Pervy Kanal are reporting that no-one can cross to the peninsula  ?

Online Tom Cat

Re: Ukraine closed the 'border' to Crimea ??
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 01:34:48 PM »
Yep !

Chubarov says last 'hole' on border with Crimea closed

Sept. 21, 2015, 12:13 p.m. |  Interfax-UkraineA Ukrainian (L) and a Crimean Tatar hold the Ukrainian flag signed "Bakhchisaray" (historical capital of Crimean Tatars on the Crimean peninsula seized by Russia last year) during the National Flag Day celebrations in Kyiv on Aug. 23, 2015.© AFPTruck traffic on all roads to and from Crimea across the administrative border with Ukraine's Kherson Region has been closed, said Refat Chubarov, a member of the parliamentary faction of the Petro Poroshenko Bloc

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/chubarov-says-last-hole-on-border-with-crimea-closed-398323.html
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online msmoby

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 02:08:04 PM »
Yep !

http://www.kyivpost.com/content/ukraine/chubarov-says-last-hole-on-border-with-crimea-closed-398323.html

I see it refers to TRUCKS - i.e freight - not private vehicles 

''Cars can pass,  if they do not carry anything or if the weight of the load - not including people - does not exceed 50 kilograms.

http://www.1tv.ru/news/social/292628

All 3 crossing points affected

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 03:48:00 PM »
Looks like Poroshenko wants to piss off Putin, and make it more desirable to take the land bridge.
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 02:44:12 AM »
Looks like Poroshenko wants to piss off Putin, and make it more desirable to take the land bridge.
More like piss off his own people, as lots of paying customers now have to look elsewhere for their goods.

Poroshenko needs the economy to shrink faster for some odd reason.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 02:57:00 AM »
This 'blockade' was organised by Right Sector. It applies to commercial traffic. In addition RS and Azov intend to blockade Transniestra in the same way. It looks as though the plan is to pressure the Rada to impose a legal framework for the separation of Crimea from Ukraine. Seems to me to represent another stage in the process of Ukraine accepting that Crimea is no longer part of Ukraine - after all, such activities merely underline the reality that the Ukrainian government seeks to deny.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online msmoby

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 03:11:53 AM »
This 'blockade' was organised by Right Sector. It applies to commercial traffic. In addition RS and Azov intend to blockade Transniestra in the same way. It looks as though the plan is to pressure the Rada to impose a legal framework for the separation of Crimea from Ukraine. Seems to me to represent another stage in the process of Ukraine accepting that Crimea is no longer part of Ukraine - after all, such activities merely underline the reality that the Ukrainian government seeks to deny.

Andrewfi might like to read this article from the daily torygraph in the UK..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/11878666/Ethnic-Tatars-declare-economic-blockade-of-Crimea.html

Ethnic Tatar activists have vowed to cut off goods supplies to the Russian-annexed peninsular in a bid to highlight harassment by the authorities there

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 03:43:26 AM »
Some totals are working with PS. There was a pic of one with the link from TC.
Anything new to share with us?

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 04:33:09 AM »

Andrewfi might like to read this article from the daily torygraph in the UK..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ukraine/11878666/Ethnic-Tatars-declare-economic-blockade-of-Crimea.html

Ethnic Tatar activists have vowed to cut off goods supplies to the Russian-annexed peninsular in a bid to highlight harassment by the authorities there

The telegraph article would fit well in the western-propaganda thread.

Looks like people keep trying to 'help' the tatars overcome the Russian bureaucracy problem.
Considering that this bureaucracy exists for -everyone- , not just the tatars the irony of the west seems lost on them.

Mark.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 03:40:18 PM »

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 03:52:19 PM »
This could be placed in the western propaganda thread, but it is related to the subject at hand.

Russia-Ukraine Conflict Update: Amid Crimea Road Blockade, Moscow Threatens Revolt As Crimean Tatars Protest Human Rights Violations

http://www.ibtimes.com/russia-ukraine-conflict-update-amid-crimea-road-blockade-moscow-threatens-revolt-2108392

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 04:14:17 PM »
This is about 'fees'. Semyon Semckenko has turned up on the scene and reading behind the lines negotiations have been going on in respect of the size of bribes required to cross and who gets to wet his beak and by how much. Sakashviili has said that the blockade should not be there.

My guess is that trucks will start transiting shortly with money changing hands.

This is just another example of the growing warlordism in the country. Sakashviili can only stop this action by force and he can't afford to do so. That means that society is breaking down.

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2015, 04:32:31 PM »
This is about 'fees'. Semyon Semckenko has turned up on the scene and reading behind the lines negotiations have been going on in respect of the size of bribes required to cross and who gets to wet his beak and by how much. Sakashviili has said that the blockade should not be there.

My guess is that trucks will start transiting shortly with money changing hands.

This is just another example of the growing warlordism in the country. Sakashviili can only stop this action by force and he can't afford to do so. That means that society is breaking down.

The corruption in Ukraine is growing leaps and bounds.
There's a chosen few that are getting very rich, while the west is funding them.
Have to hand it to Ukrainians, they sure are master's in corrupt behavior.
Look what they did with the MOB industry.  :chuckle:

Online msmoby

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 12:20:57 AM »

The telegraph article would fit well in the western-propaganda thread.

How so  ?

Please be specific... The article from Pervy Kanal article shows us all the is wrong with Kremlin controlled media 'Stupid decision of Ukraine to prohibit the supply of the goods in the Crimea'' ... The reporter seems to putting a 'spin' on the situation that is a constant in reporting Ukraine events.

YOU might regard the situation as done and dusted, but it is clear those negatively affected, don't. 

Online msmoby

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 12:34:58 AM »
society is breaking down

Let's put this in perspective - this is a crossing point - note I don't use the word 'border'  - to / from a region of Ukraine over which the govt. does not have effective control. When parts of a nation are controlled by others, crazy things happen..that 'society is breaking down' - chaos - is the aim of the invader.

btw

Isn't Saakashvili the Governor of the Odesa Oblast  ? How would he be ordering in troops to remove the blockade in the Kherson Oblast...  ?