The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The DOLLAR COLLAPSE Will Rock The World  (Read 8484 times)

Offline BillyB

• Trips: 10-20
Re: The DOLLAR COLLAPSE Will Rock The World
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2018, 09:17:34 PM »

Turkey withdrew all of its gold reserve in the US Federal Reserve (FED). According to the Turkish newspaper Hürriyet, Ankara took this decision because of the significant deterioration of its relations with Washington, which was caused by disagreements over a range of regional and bilateral issues.

According to the report, the withdrawal of gold reserves by the Fed started in 2017. At the FED, Turkey held 28.7 tons of gold, which was distributed to Turkey and Europe. In particular, at the UK central bank and the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) in Switzerland.

According to Turkey's central bank report published earlier in April. In the chart of the US Central Bank on Turkey's gold reserves for 2016, there is a figure of 28,689 Kg, while in the 2017 chart there are gaps (dashes). Turkey's total gold reserves, as shown by Turkey's central bank's report, amount to 564.6 tons, equivalent to $ 20 billion.

Wiz, I had time to look at Turkey's currency and based off the 5 year chart, 5 years ago a dollar bought approximately 1.8 Lira and today a dollar buys over 4 Lira. Their currency is falling big time. Much of the gold they pulled from the FED was transferred to Turkish Central banks. Could it be Turkey is in panic mode and trying to shore up it's currency and  the deteriorating relationship with America is just an excuse given to their citizens for pulling their gold?

If I were a Turkish citizen, I would question "Is my country's gold reserves safer in American vaults or safer stored in Turkish central banks? And will government officials have an easier time getting their hands on the gold being stored in Turkish central banks over being stored in American vaults?"  I think you know the correct answers to that.

https://tradingeconomics.com/turkey/currency
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
  • Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2018, 12:55:08 AM »
Is it just me or do some posters seem near desperate to convince us of something that is indeed a matter of confidence.

They aren't the George  Soros'  of the world.

Telling someone they are 'right' about a prediction that patently isn't on the near or far horizon ...bearing in mind the original post is from 2015 should be enough.

It was great weather to be outside in the UK , yesterday...

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Wiz

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2018, 04:31:45 PM »

Turkey withdrew all of its gold reserve in the US Federal Reserve (FED). According to the Turkish newspaper Hürriyet, Ankara took this decision because of the significant deterioration of its relations with Washington, which was caused by disagreements over a range of regional and bilateral issues.

According to the report, the withdrawal of gold reserves by the Fed started in 2017. At the FED, Turkey held 28.7 tons of gold, which was distributed to Turkey and Europe. In particular, at the UK central bank and the Bank for International Settlements (BIS) in Switzerland.

According to Turkey's central bank report published earlier in April. In the chart of the US Central Bank on Turkey's gold reserves for 2016, there is a figure of 28,689 Kg, while in the 2017 chart there are gaps (dashes). Turkey's total gold reserves, as shown by Turkey's central bank's report, amount to 564.6 tons, equivalent to $ 20 billion.

Wiz, I had time to look at Turkey's currency and based off the 5 year chart, 5 years ago a dollar bought approximately 1.8 Lira and today a dollar buys over 4 Lira. Their currency is falling big time. Much of the gold they pulled from the FED was transferred to Turkish Central banks. Could it be Turkey is in panic mode and trying to shore up it's currency and  the deteriorating relationship with America is just an excuse given to their citizens for pulling their gold?

If I were a Turkish citizen, I would question "Is my country's gold reserves safer in American vaults or safer stored in Turkish central banks? And will government officials have an easier time getting their hands on the gold being stored in Turkish central banks over being stored in American vaults?"  I think you know the correct answers to that.

https://tradingeconomics.com/turkey/currency

BillyB

Read the first paragraph of my comments....and no where I said that the gold is safer in Turkey than the US vaults.

President Ertogan has announced elections for June and it seems he is is a bit of trouble because he has opened several fronts. He has invaded Syria, trouble with the Curdes and most importantly the Turkish economy is not doing well. I have noticed that for long time the Turkish Lira has lost significantly a lot of ground but most importantly since the instigated by him coup, last summer.

After the coup he has purged many 1000's of people from the Army, and public sector and many are in prison because  they were member of Gioulen.......who still has a lot of influence.

He is not in friendly terms with Trump, especially dealing with Putin.....who have asked to sell him S-400. USA and Nato don't like (permit) members to buy defence equipment from Russia.

Moving the Gold out of the US does not help Trump but he hopes to stop the Lira going down.

I am sure Leslie will confirm that tourism to Turkey tha past couple of years has gone down hill.

Let's see what happens in washington after Macron's and Merkel's visits.

tiphat
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline Wiz

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2018, 04:37:57 PM »
Is it just me or do some posters seem near desperate to convince us of something that is indeed a matter of confidence.

They aren't the George  Soros'  of the world.

Telling someone they are 'right' about a prediction that patently isn't on the near or far horizon ...bearing in mind the original post is from 2015 should be enough.

It was great weather to be outside in the UK , yesterday...

The weather in Surrey today was also good and there is plenty to do there..... on the other hand, you should know by now that I come here whenever I like to have fun  and not argue like you do.

Obviously you are more frequent visitor than me...... because she likes to sunbathe and you like playing with your toys.

:chuckle:
Why the sun does not shine on the Ex- British Empire Anymore? Because God never trusted an Englishman in the dark!

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2018, 12:46:22 AM »
Dear Wiz

Once again you are fantasising about my personal life rather than dealing with the non event of your chosen title for the  thread

Offline Wiz

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2018, 05:10:11 AM »
Dear Wiz

Once again you are fantasising about my personal life rather than dealing with the non event of your chosen title for the  thread

Dear Moby

Not only fantasising about your personal life but also have horrible dreams with you as the main protagonist......... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

On the other hand, I have posted enough regarding the subject, other people got involved too and most of us are under the opinion that it will take some time before anything drastic happens. The only thing we can do now is keeping an eye in developments.....

You on the other hand you are like a dog with a bone in his mouth.... that would not let it go.....
and you give the impression that you have plenty of free time or nothing else to do with your life.

Admin: The photo is royalty Free

So dear old boy Moby .....

I let you to continue holding your bone and going to read something more interesting than reading your comments.

:P  :ROFL:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2018, 05:25:35 AM »
an dealing with the non event of your chosen title for the  thread

Dear Moby

Not only fantasising about your personal life but also have horrible dreams with you as the main protagonist......... [/quote]

Best help Hannah in the garden.  Doing something physical does wonders for sleep;)

In the meantime you might like to post on something that IS happening - rather than reminding us of the accuracy of your predictions ?

Update: flights booked to Cyprus..SC is getting used to driving on the proper side of the road and we will explore the pan handle Karpas(z) penisula

Dollars very welcome as are Euros and Pounds - ANYTHING other than Lira ;)   

Offline Wiz

« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2018, 02:40:55 PM »

Best help Hannah in the garden.  Doing something physical does wonders for sleep;)

In the meantime you might like to post on something that IS happening - rather than reminding us of the accuracy of your predictions ?

Update: flights booked to Cyprus..SC is getting used to driving on the proper side of the road and we will explore the pan handle Karpas(z) penisula

And how do you know what I do with my life?

I am not around these boards 24 hours as you do ...... but normally late in the evening or early morning, while drinking my coffee.

Taking care of our garden... is only part of our lives..... not everything. Family and grand children are here to be visited....etc

Don't forget England has too many nice places to visit and from time to time, work permitting, we always fly to some other places. At the moment we have manage 30 holidays abroad, since our marriage in 2008. Not bad for a poor pensioner........

Early may we plan to visit the British museum.... to see the Parthenon marvels.

Enjoy your trip on Karpazia.........but I guess you can't visit the south. Can you?

Carefull the Turks like arkadan......  :ROFL:

Offline Ste

• RIP
  • Beware of Muslamic Rayguns
  • Spouses Country: The Planet Zanussi
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 03:12:46 PM »
an dealing with the non event of your chosen title for the  thread

Dear Moby

Not only fantasising about your personal life but also have horrible dreams with you as the main protagonist.........

[/quote]

What about Yuan’s?

O pointy birds, o pointy pointy, Anoint my head, anointy-nointy.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2018, 03:29:45 PM »

Enjoy your trip on Karpazia.........but I guess you can't visit the south. Can you?

Thanks Wiz,

Don't worry -  given I an an EU citizen - I could arrive via the north and move around CY freely - as can SC - provided she arrived via the 'Rump' Rep.of Cyprus

Ironically, Brits could lose this right - if the Brits ditch the freedom of movement enshrined in EU law on 'Brexit'

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2018, 03:32:11 PM »

Offline Wiz

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 03:46:32 AM »

Thanks Wiz,

Don't worry -  given I an an EU citizen - I could arrive via the north and move around CY freely - as can SC - provided she arrived via the 'Rump' Rep.of Cyprus

Ironically, Brits could lose this right - if the Brits ditch the freedom of movement enshrined in EU law on 'Brexit'

Moby

I was only teasing you....  :chuckle:

I already knew about the trick the Turks use, when you arrive with a foreign passport at the north airport... from my Turkish-Cypriot friend who married a Belarusian woman and I helped him to bring her to UK, 3 years ago. They don't stamp the passports.... just a peace of paper...... :)

When I went to Cyprus in 2004, my British passport was delayed to be renewed so I used my Greek ID card to fly..... to Paphos. I had more problem with the airline staff to get on the plane than when I arrived in CYprus..... and no problem when I went to visit the North......only had to pay £ 10 for "their car Insurance"....

My experience at the time, wherever I went in the North, was a friendly welcome by the real Turkish Cypriots, who recognise I was Greek......but not the migrants from Anatolia who where easy to recognise!

If the Turkish-Cypriot friendly welcome was a surprise.... I had another one which left me speechless.

Before going to the North, a relative of mine, when I told him that I am going to the north, he asked me to go to a village and take a look at the his house that he left after the invasion.
When I found the house and was looking around the cultivated nice garden and was taking photos..... a man in a police uniform came out..... I thought.... I am in shit trouble.

He asked me in Greek language, if I was a Greek...... and when I explained to him what I was doing .. he invited me in the house for a coffee and told me to take as many photos I want.

When I went in the house, I saw a house as was deserted, 20 yrs ago.

The policeman asked me if I knew the owner...... he told me that the house belongs to him and he only lives there for free, as part of his job, but the house belongs to him.  He also asked me if I can ask him to give him permission to change the curtains!

After that I called my relative and told him the request...... and then they continue talking directly and they do, until now as far as I know.

Could you please write your impressions and observations for your touring around to that part of the North. It would be useful to know. Thank you in advance

Have a nice time.

tiphat

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 04:40:46 AM »
When we bloviate here about the dollar and its changing (or unchanging) status we tend to forget that the perceived value of the dollar is but one part of the picture and that dedollarisation is just one part of the picture that is the decline of U.S. power and influence.

The U.S. is now well into the pattern set by the British Empire. It isn't just about the money, albeit that is important. The British Empire was built onthe back of prodigious output of goods and services. As the first economy to embrace industrialisation we grew rich on the output of low cost manufactures. The Empire was built upon the search for markets for those manufactures and for the raw materials to make them. Britain was, until not long before WW2 creating some 50% of all global manufactures but by WW2 that figure had fallen significantly and the U.S. had become preeminent. After WW2 the U.S was responsible for 50% of al global output, albeit that this reflected, in large part, the reality that the U.S. economy was the last man standing.

By 1985 the U.S. was responsible for around 22.5% of global output, today the figure is about 15% and is estimated to be at around 13.7% by 2023. That's a huge change and, sure as eggs is eggs, other changes will go alongside that decline. Just as happened with sterling, the dollar will lose preeminence for the simple reason that the new major economies will not want to be using the currency of a relativley minor power.

This article in the New York Times is worth a shufti: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/21/opinion/sunday/adapting-to-american-decline.html I do not pretend to agree with all the author's conclusions but the analysis that leads to them is sound. I share his concerns about the manner in which the U.S. will handle the issues faced. It owuld be great of the U.S. found a way to manage itself that was as lacking in destruction as the British Empire as it managed its own dismantling.
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Lord of the Dance

• Supporting Hero Member
  • Trips: None Yet
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 11:10:36 AM »
When we bloviate here about the dollar and its changing (or unchanging) status we tend to forget that the perceived value of the dollar is but one part of the picture and that dedollarisation is just one part of the picture that is the decline of U.S. power and influence.

The U.S. is now well into the pattern set by the British Empire. It isn't just about the money, albeit that is important. The British Empire was built onthe back of prodigious output of goods and services. As the first economy to embrace industrialisation we grew rich on the output of low cost manufactures. The Empire was built upon the search for markets for those manufactures and for the raw materials to make them. Britain was, until not long before WW2 creating some 50% of all global manufactures but by WW2 that figure had fallen significantly and the U.S. had become preeminent. After WW2 the U.S was responsible for 50% of al global output, albeit that this reflected, in large part, the reality that the U.S. economy was the last man standing.

By 1985 the U.S. was responsible for around 22.5% of global output, today the figure is about 15% and is estimated to be at around 13.7% by 2023. That's a huge change and, sure as eggs is eggs, other changes will go alongside that decline. Just as happened with sterling, the dollar will lose preeminence for the simple reason that the new major economies will not want to be using the currency of a relativley minor power.

This article in the New York Times is worth a shufti: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/21/opinion/sunday/adapting-to-american-decline.html I do not pretend to agree with all the author's conclusions but the analysis that leads to them is sound. I share his concerns about the manner in which the U.S. will handle the issues faced. It owuld be great of the U.S. found a way to manage itself that was as lacking in destruction as the British Empire as it managed its own dismantling.

This is a great sales pitch when trying to unload some gold.  :laugh:
"My soul cries out with a joyful shout that the God of my heart is great, and my spirit sings of the wondrous things that you bring to the ones who wait." - Canticle of the Turning

Offline BillyB

« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 01:08:10 PM »
decline of U.S. power and influence.

We got people here thinking America goes to war to get rich. In that case there is no decline.

British Empire was hit by two world wars and was in massive debt. The Pound was artificially inflated high. That's when the dollar took over as the world's currency. I don't think America is set into the pattern the British Empire endured.
Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776. If you want to stop the war in Ukraine, fix elections, stop medical tyranny and forced vaccinations, lower inflation and make America and the world a better place, get Trump back into power. The Democrats and Republicans have shown they can't do the job. They are good at robbing us and getting people killed in non stop wars.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 02:45:11 PM »
decline of U.S. power and influence.

We got people here thinking America goes to war to get rich. In that case there is no decline.

British Empire was hit by two world wars and was in massive debt. The Pound was artificially inflated high. That's when the dollar took over as the world's currency. I don't think America is set into the pattern the British Empire endured.

You better read this,  Adapting to American Decline

tiphat

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 04:39:39 PM »
Billy, in your ignorance you actually supported the point I was making. Go back, re-read, perhaps ask the clever (?) one in the relationship to help you with the thinking.

No child left behind came too late for you. I trust that the next generation of little Billies will be better served by your new country's education system.

As a hint, how is the U.S. debt clock working at the moment?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2018, 05:45:08 PM »
Wiz,

Interesting article. Some assumptions are flawed ~ others quite insightful especially if you subscribe to a particular point of view or bias.

The conclusion notes the following. " The United States is the most important country in the world and will remain so for many years by virtue of its strong economy and prodigious military capabilities." I suspect the announcement of the eminent death of the US dollar is premature. While as Andrew noted there is a decline in the United States output the increases worldwide from various economies offsets the percentage decrease for the US. But in the end, long after we all are gone, the reality will be different than today's.

There are deep flaws in the US economic metric, namely the debt. But I suspect the decline of the value of the the dollar will be long and gradual.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Wiz

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 01:15:16 AM »
AvHdB

While I admit I am not an economist or a specialist in world affairs,  I subscribe to various publications and sites and I like reading various sources, papers, articles and opinions and try to understand a few important matters.

When I express certain opinions, I am very conservative with my views to avoid having you and other clever clogs (trolls), hurling insults etc. but that has never stopped you and other trolls continue your same tactics.

On the other hand, you appear to be an expert and express your opinions in almost everything, but you are wearing blinkers when reading other people's comments or that is the line you follow in accordance of instructions from that centre.... propagandas, I have mentioned previously.

Neither myself or Andrew have stated that changes will happen overnight but it will happen over long time, probably when some of us will be asteroid dust.....

I say all these because of your statement:
Some assumptions are flawed ~ others quite insightful especially if you subscribe to a particular point of view or bias.
and later repeat comments ..... similar to those of Andrew! :laugh:

Any how....The article made some very important points like:

"There is no question that America’s share of global wealth is shrinking. By some estimates, the United States accounted for roughly 50 percent of global output at the end of World War II. By 1985, its share stood at 22.5 percent. It has fallen to 15.1 percent today, and the International Monetary Fund projects that it will slip to 13.7 percent by 2023."

"Yet Americans may be the last people to recognize the changing shape of global power. It’s not that senior national security officials don’t understand that they have a problem."

"The United States is the most important country in the world and will remain so for many years by virtue of its strong economy and prodigious military capabilities."

What ever you may think or say ... the process has already started, like it did with the British Empire and the US is not any more the undisputed Hegemon in the world.

End of the early morning sermon........

:P

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 02:17:05 AM »

Let me make an analogy that might be more relevant to most readers than the relatively abstract concept of dedollarisation and its geopolitical effect.

When I was young I earned a bloody good income, like many young men of the time I also had a fistful of credit cards and I used them. Even though I had a good income I was living beyond my means. Sometimes I would take a cash advance on one card to pay down another. Clearly this was unsustainable unless my income was to grow in a way that was not likely to happen.

This stage might be compared to the U.S. economy today.

I realised what was happening and made a choice to stop using credit and to pay down my debts. Easy, you might say, bloody difficult I reply. Here's why: each pound I paid off of a credit card was a pound I couldn't spend on my life. So each pound of debt reduction was the same as earning one pound less. But it did not end there. Because I was not using credit any longer, I couldn't spend on my credit cards either. The net effect was that each pound of debt paid off felt like I had two pounds less to spend on my life.

Immediately I went from feeling pretty well off to broke. That situation lasted for several years until I was straight. I did not use credit in my life for over 30 years. I still do not use bank loans, credits, overdrafts apart from a credit card that reduces my costs when making overseas purchases. The result is a freedom of action that most people can not share because they are tied to their debt.

Now, how does that fit to the situation of the US?

If the US is forced to pay down old debt because that cannot roll over old debt then USAians will feel that pinch, just as I did. Without new debt the US military will be forced to go back home. Without new debt the US will be unable to build needed new infrastructure back home. Nothing will work as it does today.

On the other hand, Russia is largely debt free, small though the economy seems to be, the governance state has huge freedom of action. They are not beholden to creditors, don't need to think about the next bond sale.

But worse fir the US is the magnification effect that happened to me as I paid off my debts. The magnifying effect means that even an apparently small change in the use of the dollar has a much,larger effect on the US national economy. That's because each dollar not spent is repatriated to the US  economy as inflation. But worse, be the US needs to export dollars to keep the economy working, each dollar repatriated means two dollars must now be exported simply to maintain the status quo.

In order to export two dollars where before only one was exported interest rates on the debt need to be increased in order to attract buyers. Increased interest rates mean debt service becomes more difficult and expensive.

That's why things change slowly at first but then very fast.

Offline Wiz

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2018, 03:31:47 AM »

On the other hand, Russia is largely debt free, small though the economy seems to be, the governance state has huge freedom of action. They are not beholden to creditors, don't need to think about the next bond sale.

Very good post Andrew but let me remind you, regarding your above comment, what I posted previously.

PURGING RUSSIA FROM THE EVIL ROTHSCHILD MONEY CHANGERS

Quote: "There has been much speculation that President Putin may soon nationalize the CBR and the ruble according to his senior advisor and chairman of the Russian parliament’s economic policy committee Yevgeny Fyodorov  in order to raise money for Russia’s now necessary armament projects in what appears as an imposed war on Russia by Washington and NATO.

Under the Constitution, the CBR belongs to a foreign State – the City of London – and is taking orders from London and Washington’s controlled IMF. CBR can only print money corresponding to its cash in foreign currency, that being the dollar, which is not sufficient for Russia’s purposes. The CBR even has to buy the worthless US treasury bonds for the dollars paid for Russian oil – whereby the dollars are returned to the Federal Reserve Bank. This is one of the biggest heists of all time!

Moreover, President Putin is under pressure from the West, which wants to overthrow and replace him with Western-minded puppet oligarchs. Thus, the US ambassador to Moscow, John F.Tefft, is said to have made it very clear in this statement: “We will displace Putin from office and install our own people as leaders of the Russian government.” It was reported that Tefft even mentioned the appointed ministers by name! Therefore, it has now become logical [and necessary] for President Putin to enhance the Russian military and strengthen the already existing alliance with the SCO (Shanghai Cooperation Organization) to prevent Russia’s submission to Washington and NATO’s will. Sadly, it has come to this."

I am keeping an eye, after I read the above article but sofar Putin has not made a move.

Can you imagine what improvements to Russia and it's economy, Putin could make, with sanctions or not, if he managed to get rid of the Banksters?

He has to be extremely careful when remembering what happen to J. kennedy!  :8)

PS: Have noticed the expansion of the assets in the photos on the right lately?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2018, 03:43:46 AM »
Wiz, all this Rothschild bank bollocks is just that.

If you want to criticise the actions of the Russian Central Bank then go for it. There's plenty of targets to run at. However, the net results of the policies of the central bank, in concert with the polices of the Russian government,  have been to protect against outside interference. The bank, just as the government, has been pretty conservative, moving slowly and carefully. Both have avoided rash and hasty decisions and this caution has protected the country. Look back at when the ruble came under attack in 2014, look at what people like you were syaing about the bank and what they should do. Look at what actually happened. With hindsight the actions were spot on and the outcomes about the best that could have been expected.

When you look at what happened over the past few years you can see that, on the whole, the bank and government acted in concert, in a coordinated fashion, to attain agreed policy objectives bith within the country and globally.

As a suggestion, try to avoid personalising stuff. Look at what is said, look at what happens. Try to avoid shorthand labels that become replacement for knowledge, thought and analysis.

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2018, 04:40:38 AM »

I was only teasing you....  :chuckle:

I already knew about the trick the Turks use, when you arrive with a foreign passport at the north airport... from my Turkish-Cypriot friend who married a Belarusian woman and I helped him to bring her to UK, 3 years ago. They don't stamp the passports.... just a peace of paper...... :)

Incorrect

No piece of paper ( Visa) anymore - hasn't been for YEARS

When I went to Cyprus in 2004, my British passport was delayed to be renewed so I used my Greek ID card to fly..... to Paphos. I had more problem with the airline staff to get on the plane than when I arrived in CYprus..... and no problem when I went to visit the North......only had to pay £ 10 for "their car Insurance"....

Car insurance has NEVER been less than £20 when it became possible to cross ...

My experience at the time, wherever I went in the North, was a friendly welcome by the real Turkish Cypriots, who recognise I was Greek......but not the migrants from Anatolia who where easy to recognise!

If the Turkish-Cypriot friendly welcome was a surprise.... I had another one which left me speechless.

Before going to the North, a relative of mine, when I told him that I am going to the north, he asked me to go to a village and take a look at the his house that he left after the invasion.
When I found the house and was looking around the cultivated nice garden and was taking photos..... a man in a police uniform came out..... I thought.... I am in shit trouble.

He asked me in Greek language, if I was a Greek...... and when I explained to him what I was doing .. he invited me in the house for a coffee and told me to take as many photos I want.

When I went in the house, I saw a house as was deserted, 20 yrs ago.

The policeman asked me if I knew the owner...... he told me that the house belongs to him and he only lives there for free, as part of his job, but the house belongs to him.  He also asked me if I can ask him to give him permission to change the curtains!

After that I called my relative and told him the request...... and then they continue talking directly and they do, until now as far as I know.

Could you please write your impressions and observations for your touring around to that part of the North. It would be useful to know. Thank you in advance

Have a nice time.

tiphat

Indeed, in 2003 - when Turkey HAD to  open the crossing points - ECHR ruling as a result of a case brought by a TC Doctor - there were wonderful stories of possessions being kept for the GC owners to return

Sadly, the GCs voted no to the Annan plan and they would be only 4 years from being able to live / work / move freely around... (( 

There was miles long queues in 2003 - now one can cross in 5 mins - such is the 'volume' of traffic

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
Re: The DOLLAR is just fine
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2018, 09:28:56 AM »
Wiz,

You'll be amused to hear that RoC hasn't improved their attitude to the north  - despite ECHR rulings re property, etc., that now mean that GCs claiming their property must go via the Property Commission - in the North

Svetlana turned up with a North CY reg'd car to buy insurance to collect me from Larnaca airport at the weekend and the TC officer wouldn't let her cross as she must have 'permission' to drive' in the RoC - and the office closes @ 14:30 - no doc - no insurance can be bought 

She arrived at 15:00

A Greek Cypriot friend will now collect us and take us to the north - where SC will complete the journey and *I* will sort out said document, next week

Crossing to the 'north' one needs a current UK / RU driving licence and one can buy insurance 

Offline BillyB

« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2018, 11:53:20 AM »
As a hint, how is the U.S. debt clock working at the moment?

Better than the UK's and most nations. America has the controlling share of the World Bank and IMF. That is because we have the most money to give and loan. We have debt but many nations are in debt to America. See how that works? UK is #2 on world debt and out of all who they owe, they are in debt to America the most.

You guys constantly talk about problems but have no solutions. Since you're so wise, what is your solution for America to stay on top. Be like Russia? Be like China? Be like the EU? How can we change to your liking? Maybe America doing things differently provided different results than what everybody else is having. Maybe being different got us on top? I trust the system I'm living in over anything you recommend. Call me ignorant.