The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia is giving away free land.  (Read 18738 times)

Offline Gipsy

Re: Russia is giving away free land.
« Reply #100 on: May 01, 2016, 04:22:23 AM »
Manny, do you plan on remaining in the UK the rest of your life?

That cropped up recently here.

I would imagine a tourist can take with him/herself a receipt from the bank showing where the cash came from. 

That would likely do assuming it comes from a bank. And at home, they can check if that cash was recently paid into that bank to wash it. Here - I suspect like the US - they seldom hassle tourists. The locals are easier targets.

In this sense, would you say Russia would be a better place to live? 

That we haven't heard much about this in Russia doesn't mean it doesn't happen. It may well do. But if it does, it will be to a lesser extent.

As with anything, its about not standing out too much and looking like the next bloke and minimising ones encounters with officialdom in all its guises. Not to mention knowing your (supposed) rights.

There are several points here..

Leaving the UK with more than £1000 in cash, can be problematic if challenged by the UK customs, however, if one has proof that the cash was taken from a bank account in the travellers name, AND, does not exceed euro 10,000, there should be no problem, that is my experience, and my DiL regularly travels with cash for me UK to RU.

There are regulations on cash limits when leaving Russia, and if caught breaking them, the cash can be confiscated, and one can be arrested, as with any other country where rules are broken.

Its a bit different matter when it comes to anything else being confiscated, its not such a simple thing to do in Russia without a court order, and getting one can take some time, and the person who's property is the subject of the confiscation order is given the chance to challenge said order, that is not to say that it does not happen, but that there are rules.

Another point is the giving away of free land, this land as you may be aware, is in the far eastern regions of Russia.
The land is available to Russian citizens and foreigners, but there are differences, whereas the Russian citizen will get the title of ownership (provided they meet the requirements), the Foreigner can only claim title to the land when he/she takes Russian citizenship (and meet the laid down requirements), until then, they only have the "Right of occupancy".
If they, the foreigner builds a house on the land, then he/she will receive the title to it.

The final point is living in Russia, and as Manny correctly stated, if one keeps one's head down, gets on with their own life, does not shout out loudly about Russian politics, sticks to the rules, there should be no problem..
I have found Russian officialdom to be quiet respectful and helpful to me, registration, visa's permits etc, have always been dealt with in reasonably professional manner, and also well within the expected time frames.
I would suggest that, foreigners rights are well respected and procedures against foreigners are absolutely accurate and correctly implemented.
I have not encountered any problem with living in Russia, and feel that its the same as if I was living anywhere in the world, respect the laws and culture, abide by the rules, pay your bills, and don't make waves.

HTH
Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Offline Omega1982

• Spouses Country: Not determined / USA
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #101 on: May 01, 2016, 05:20:22 AM »
Gypsy, is the maximum amount you can take out of Russia 10,000 usd as in America or is it less or more? 

Last year I had a credit card declined due to it not having the chip technology.  So I always have some emergency cash. 

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #102 on: May 01, 2016, 05:41:54 AM »
Gypsy, is the maximum amount you can take out of Russia 10,000 usd as in America or is it less or more? 

Last year I had a credit card declined due to it not having the chip technology.  So I always have some emergency cash.

(Copy & pasted)

You can legally bring to Russia any amount of cash money; however you are required to declare a sum that is more than $3,000. You can legally bring out of Russia only $3,000 in cash. If you have more, the rest of the sum must be accompanied by a special certificate from a Russian bank called “Raz-resh-enih-ye nah vyh-voz vah-lyu-ty” (Permission to export currency).

HTH

Bridge is a lot like sex, either you need a good partner, or a decent hand... Woody Allen

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2016, 08:55:29 AM »

The final point is living in Russia, and as Manny correctly stated, if one keeps one's head down, gets on with their own life, does not shout out loudly about Russian politics, sticks to the rules, there should be no problem..
I have found Russian officialdom to be quiet respectful and helpful to me, registration, visa's permits etc, have always been dealt with in reasonably professional manner, and also well within the expected time frames.
I would suggest that, foreigners rights are well respected and procedures against foreigners are absolutely accurate and correctly implemented.
I have not encountered any problem with living in Russia, and feel that its the same as if I was living anywhere in the world, respect the laws and culture, abide by the rules, pay your bills, and don't make waves.

HTH

Gypsy your post is spot on  :thumbsup: In the for what is worth the same holds true more or less around the world.

Andrew you are lying in regards to how things work in the United States and because of earlier posts you have made and or commented on I suspect you know it. Why not stay with weight loss you have built up (no pun intended) some expertise there?
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2016, 11:48:48 AM »
Manny,  with respect,  the first link confirms  the basis under which seizures may be made. Not under suspicion but after a case is bought before a court and proven.

What happens is they steal your money and do their best to keep it. You then have to go to court to prove the legitimacy of said money/asset. If you cant, its gone - that's all. Often people cant for all kinds of reasons. They call it "proceeds of crime" (tax evasion) and you kiss it goodbye.

You don't get legal aid to fight the government in court to get your cash/asset back either. Cant afford good lawyers (maybe because they have stolen your cash?) then again, kiss it goodbye.

The legal processes all sound rather spiffing and well-regulated, but remember councils, police forces and other bodies can now keep what they steal. So they are motivated to defend the "legal" theft.
Read a trip report from North Korea >>here<< - Read a trip report from South Korea, China and Hong Kong >>here<<

Look what the American media makes some people believe:
Putin often threatens to strike US with nuclear weapons.

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #105 on: May 01, 2016, 10:49:43 PM »
Gypsy, where does one declare the excess of 3k? 

At the DME airport everything is electronic.  I recall just presenting my passport to the official and he printed some document and I think I signed it and that was it.  So basically you don't fill out any paperwork, they have it in the computer from when you applied for the visa. 

I know I was extremely jetlagged, nervous and tired, but I don't recall going through an actual customs official. 

I only recall going through immigration and then shortly after there is the carrousel where one gets his / her luggage. 

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #106 on: May 01, 2016, 11:43:06 PM »
Gypsy, where does one declare the excess of 3k? 

At the DME airport everything is electronic.  I recall just presenting my passport to the official and he printed some document and I think I signed it and that was it.  So basically you don't fill out any paperwork, they have it in the computer from when you applied for the visa. 

I know I was extremely jetlagged, nervous and tired, but I don't recall going through an actual customs official. 

I only recall going through immigration and then shortly after there is the carrousel where one gets his / her luggage.
After you pickup your luggage, you can choose 2 exits. Green and Red.

If you choose red, you have something to declare. (money in this case). If you choose green and do not get checked random, you are in the passengers hall where cabbies will be trying to make deals.

Mark
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2016, 01:46:54 AM »
Spasiba Bolshoi.  Ya ponimayu.   :plane:

Offline Omega1982

« Reply #108 on: May 02, 2016, 01:49:08 AM »
I imagine you are given some kind of document stating you are bringing X amount of cash into the country correct? 

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #109 on: May 02, 2016, 03:52:23 AM »
I imagine you are given some kind of document stating you are bringing X amount of cash into the country correct?

Going through the RED channel, as was rightly said above, Customs will, if they are interested, give you a cash import declaration, beware, if you bring in too much, more than they would expect you to use for a holiday, they may refuse to believe you, what happens then God only knows..

Why you wish to carry so much in cash is beyond me, cash machines are plenty, just make sure that your bank/s know that you will be drawing cash/paying bills in Russia..

Hotels/restaurant's/ even Mc Donald's all take cards, even clubs/bars, so cash is only really needed for taxi's..

HTH.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2016, 03:56:05 AM »
so cash is only really needed for taxi's..

HTH.

Taxis, Tips and Tarts - the traveler's three T's
...everything ends always well; if it’s still bad, then it’s not the end!

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #111 on: May 02, 2016, 03:57:31 AM »
so cash is only really needed for taxi's..

HTH.

Taxis, Tips and Tarts - the traveler's three T's

Tips go on the card also..

Some tarts probably also have a card reader handy... Its Russia...  :laugh:

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #112 on: May 02, 2016, 05:17:47 AM »
Why you wish to carry so much in cash is beyond me, cash machines are plenty, just make sure that your bank/s know that you will be drawing cash/paying bills in Russia..
Unless you goto Crimea, foreign cards afaik still do not work there.

I send the money ahead to My wife's bank account in Krasnodar, but its costing me a 1% fee and the exchange-rate is also not stellar. (grr).

I truly hope this year i can use Mastercard/Maestro , either one will work for me.

Mark.
OO===[][]===OO
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #113 on: May 05, 2016, 03:16:14 PM »
Just wondering if anyone knows someone who has taken up on this offer?

Yep, Russia's Giving Away Free Land

Russia's version of the US Homestead Act. Throw in a mule and we have a deal...

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/russians-given-free-land-countrys-far-east/ri14207
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #114 on: May 13, 2016, 05:23:11 AM »
80% of Brits would be happy to quit UK for RUSSIA after Putin offers free land

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/669935/80-per-cent-Brits-move-UK-to-RUSSIA-Putin-offers-free-land
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
  • Spouses Country: TBC
« Reply #115 on: May 13, 2016, 05:36:49 AM »

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/669935/80-per-cent-Brits-move-UK-to-RUSSIA-Putin-offers-free-land

Others pointed to the upcoming EU referendum and a possible vote against Brexit as motivation to make the move 500 miles east to ‘the land where ice meets fire.’

Righto!

BS article. Firstly, how many would go realistically and how many would actually survive it? Very very few. Only those who live a similar lifestyle/way of life now have any hope.

Alot of people thinking the grass is always greener - where will they get their financed cars they can't afford?  Half these numpties would struggle to change a car tyre, yet alone start a new life in a country they know FA about.

Seems like Russia is in favour atm, I wonder if it's deal striking time soon?
I know I am I'm sure I am I'm Rotherham til I die!

Offline Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2016, 05:43:49 AM »
Don't forget if you relocate and have three kids you will also have a few extras thrown in!!

If my wife never had kids I would be there like a shock.. Some nice cities out there in Siberia  :party0011:
I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #117 on: May 13, 2016, 05:50:43 AM »

Others pointed to the upcoming EU referendum and a possible vote against Brexit as motivation to make the move 500 miles east to ‘the land where ice meets fire.’

Righto!

BS article. Firstly, how many would go realistically and how many would actually survive it? Very very few. Only those who live a similar lifestyle/way of life now have any hope.

Alot of people thinking the grass is always greener - where will they get their financed cars they can't afford?  Half these numpties would struggle to change a car tyre, yet alone start a new life in a country they know FA about.

Kinda reminds me of those that want a Russian wife, but never set foot in country.
Wanting and making it happen depends on the person.

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
« Reply #118 on: May 13, 2016, 05:59:16 AM »

Righto!

Kinda reminds me of those that want a Russian wife, but never set foot in country.
Wanting and making it happen depends on the person.

Do you need a passport for Putin's offer??  :laugh:

Offline msmoby

• BANNED
  • BANNED
« Reply #119 on: May 13, 2016, 11:29:12 AM »
Just wondering if anyone knows someone who has taken up on this offer?

I asked a neighbour - who moved FROM the far east last summer if he'd go back .. 

I guess the offer might need to be opened up to the Brits..who've never experienced the winters ...As yet - I haven't heard of anyone taking up the offer..

Fair play to those who do - even if I was younger - pioneering's not for me.

I expect they'll need to throw in discount fights to Crimea

I have never claimed to be a Blue Beret

Spurious claims about 'seeing action' with the Blue Berets are debunked >here<

Here is my Russophobia/Kremlinphobia topic

Offline Tom Cat

« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2016, 06:31:01 PM »
Foreigners are included in the free land offer, but they won't own it outright.

Communists seek to expand free land handover program from Russian Far East to Siberia

(Quote)
The document provides for the free handover of 1 hectare (about 2.5 acres) of land to anyone who applies for the program. However, foreign citizens will only be allowed to utilize the land, not own it outright. Registration of full property rights is only possible after the naturalization of potential owners.

https://www.rt.com/politics/342891-communists-want-to-expand-free/

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2016, 12:31:46 PM »

Communists seek to expand free land handover program from Russian Far East to Siberia

(Quote)
The document provides for the free handover of 1 hectare (about 2.5 acres) of land to anyone who applies for the program. However, foreign citizens will only be allowed to utilize the land, not own it outright. Registration of full property rights is only possible after the naturalization of potential owners.

All I want to know is, how many 40sqm apartments can I build on that land?

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2016, 12:40:08 PM »

(Quote)

You are asking the wrong question. How many people want to move in? Perhaps you can entice some from Syria with a free month. Tell them they will get free snow shoveling lessons as a freebie.
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Offline AKA Luke

• Meh!
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2016, 12:44:03 PM »

(Quote)

You are asking the wrong question.

Am I? If one wants 40sqm apartments then one is asking the right question.

Offline Gipsy

« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2016, 01:37:24 PM »
^
I don't know the exact locations of the land on offer, but, you should reckon that it will not be too near any large towns/cities.

Although though they have stated that they will put in electric, it may be a fair distance from the nearest sub-station, and may also be subject to larger than normal voltage fluctuations, and possible regular cuts/wire breakages.

You will most certainly need to build a canal and sewage/cess pit system, there may almost certainly not be any water supply to the place, so a well will be needed, and the chances of a gas pipeline to the property will be small..

Then you will need to build yourself (or pay someone else) a warm home on the property and work the land in some way or another..

There is also talk of other land in Siberia being made available..

HTH