The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Goodbye Schengen!  (Read 1667 times)

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
  • Trips: 20+
Goodbye Schengen!
« on: September 13, 2015, 12:15:30 PM »
Just in from Dutch news:

Borders on:
Germany/Austria , austria/hungary, slovakia (total), serbia (total) have dropped shengen and are implementing border-controls again.

This is to be a temporary measure until the "refugees" are controllable again.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
Re: Goodbye shengen!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 12:30:54 PM »
Add Czech Republic to the list.

My little trans-European drives are going to start taking a day longer.

By the way. In the name of illustration and context, let me share this video. Not from Youtube so it is only a link here: How Many?

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online AvHdB

• Spouses Country: Ukraine, Kiev
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 10:58:27 PM »
  Brussels .we have a problem
“If you aren't in over your head, how do you know how tall you are?” T.S. Eliot

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:51:35 AM »
Bear in mind that when implemented Schengen was designed to be able to be suspended on as needed basis. This situation does  not mean the end of open borders in the EU. Too much depends upon the benefit of ease of transit.

For example, the EU did not end when Estonia suspended Schengen at the time of Obama's last visit.

But it could.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 02:14:16 AM »
How temporary are these refugees/immigrant situations going to be?

My guess is this will be the end of shengen.
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
  • Spouses Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 07:59:24 AM »
Add Czech Republic to the list.

My little trans-European drives are going to start taking a day longer.

By the way. In the name of illustration and context, let me share this video. Not from Youtube so it is only a link here: How Many?

There is a problem with the video in your Facebook..... :(
"For every beauty there is an eye to see it. For every truth there is an ear to hear it."

Online Wiz

• Greek Home Cookery
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 08:01:42 AM »
How temporary are these refugees/immigrant situations going to be?

My guess is this will be the end of shengen.

But, we EU citizens, will still have the FREEDOM OF MOVEMENT ... Directive 2004/38/EU!
"For every beauty there is an eye to see it. For every truth there is an ear to hear it."

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 09:31:09 AM »
Western Europe just committed suicide.  With 1 Million refugees coming from Syria and other places in the ME, how many of those are already ISIS?  How many will become radicalized and become ISIS and destroy Europe from the inside out?  It's over folks.  Better learn from the USA and get some firearms to defend yourselves.  Or not.   :popcorn:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2015, 11:32:02 AM »
Western Europe just committed suicide.  With 1 Million refugees coming from Syria and other places in the ME, how many of those are already ISIS?  How many will become radicalized and become ISIS and destroy Europe from the inside out?  It's over folks.  Better learn from the USA and get some firearms to defend yourselves.  Or not.   :popcorn:

Its already over!! And so it begins..

http://news360.com/article/311820821

I will defo be buying some firearms I was actually in a shop today looking at some nice Crossbow's. I don't think they will allow me into the UK with one unfortunately :(

This year we have been looking at buying some cheapo apartment down in Greece, but from what I see the ISIS are planning running that place.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/597254/ISIS-Map-Europe-Terror-Organisation-Andrew-Hosken-Caliphate-Abu-Musab-al-Zarqawi?ref=yfp

I enjoy my life in Russia and hope it will continue but if I have to take arms to go fight the fanatics so be it :smokin:

I support no government anywhere, ever, never. No institution, No religion!!

Online msmoby

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2015, 03:47:40 PM »

This year we have been looking at buying some cheapo apartment down in Greece, but from what I see the ISIS are planning running that place.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/597254/ISIS-Map-Europe-Terror-Organisation-Andrew-Hosken-Caliphate-Abu-Musab-al-Zarqawi?ref=yfp

I enjoy my life in Russia and hope it will continue but if I have to take arms to go fight the fanatics so be it :smokin:

:chuckle:

Steveboy - our modern day Knight Templar

I sure hope you are deriving your income in currency other than Roubles as prices in Russia and the Euro/ Rouble exchange rate means 'cheap' is a relative word..

You'll find a ready market in Cyprus and lots of Russian speakers who are trying to sell up to stop repossession by the banks, following a recent ruling that it isn't 'against human rights' to repossess for mortgage delinquency..

Prices have a long way to fall yet... the banks have lots to sell 

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2015, 04:20:04 PM »

I will defo be buying some firearms I was actually in a shop today looking at some nice Crossbow's. I don't think they will allow me into the UK with one unfortunately :(

A man with some good old fashioned common sense!  You're welcome in the USA, Steveboy!   :chuckle:
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 03:35:11 AM »

I sure hope you are deriving your income in currency other than Roubles as prices in Russia and the Euro/ Rouble exchange rate means 'cheap' is a relative word..

You'll find a ready market in Cyprus and lots of Russian speakers who are trying to sell up to stop repossession by the banks, following a recent ruling that it isn't 'against human rights' to repossess for mortgage delinquency..

I have my income in Sterling :) 

I would never buy a property from a Russian who was selling because of the financial troubles out of principle..

Unlike you I do not dwell on any troubles in Russia or with the Russian people :)

Online Texan77

• Supporting Member
  • Trips: 5-10
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 07:54:00 AM »

I have my income in Sterling :) 

I would never buy a property from a Russian who was selling because of the financial troubles out of principle..

Unlike you I do not dwell on any troubles in Russia or with the Russian people :)

Maybe you ought to do what I do then, Buy property from Americans that are in financial trouble. We would welcome your money in our country. The we would send you a tax bill for the local city and schools. If you rent it out then we would send you a federal tax bill. Gee, doesn't something like that happen in Russia???

Online Steveboy

• Commercial Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2015, 09:02:01 AM »

A man with some good old fashioned common sense!  You're welcome in the USA, Steveboy!   :chuckle:

I need to stay in Russia to defend the Motherland  :smokin:

Online msmoby

Re: Goodbye Schengen!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 10:42:30 AM »

Glad you get sorted in GBP... I guess you simply don't equate it's strength ...along with most currencies v the Rouble as an issue.....  !)