The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Exceptional: Why the World Needs a Powerful America  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
Exceptional: Why the World Needs a Powerful America
« on: September 10, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »
I bet that title surprised you coming from me!  :-*

Shakey sent me a gift in the mail that arrived today.

[ Guests cannot view attachments ]

My reading it is proof indeed that I have an open mind contrary to what some here think.  :reading:
I apologise.
And so he should.........

Online shakespear

• Supporting Member
Re: Exceptional: Why the World Needs a Powerful America
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 11:53:16 AM »
You just spoiled Andrewfi's surprise

;D
"If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun" - Katharine Hepburn

Offline Manny

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 11:57:48 AM »
Sorry, has he got one too?  :hidechair:
I apologise.

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 12:06:10 PM »

Will you actually read the entire book with an open mind?  I will be very impressed if you do!   :)
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Online shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 01:53:44 PM »

There's one on the way.  I don't know if he's received it yet.

Both are genuine autographed by me copies   :king:

Offline Manny

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2015, 02:08:47 PM »
Will you actually read the entire book with an open mind?  I will be very impressed if you do!   :)

I can try. I am currently sawing my way through Mein Kampf years after I last did, so as that is heavy going, I shall break off for this one.  :nod:
I apologise.

Offline NS1

• Trips: 5-10
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 04:27:58 PM »
My bet is you are reading it as much to see what it says as you are to make fun of
it, open mind HAHAHAHA :chuckle:
“You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”
Malcom X

Offline Manny

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »
My bet is you are reading it as much to see what it says as you are to make fun of
it, open mind HAHAHAHA :chuckle:

Buy it and give us your review.  :thumbsup:
I apologise.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 05:44:24 PM »
One can approach with an open mind but the very purpose of the document is to persuade and thereby close the mind. The trick is to finish reading with a mind as open as it was before starting.

Unless Cheney has undergone a Damacene revelation there is unlikely to  be any earthshattering insight to be found. He is unlikely to have found a rapprochement with Obama and is pretty likely to be justifying his take on foreign policy during his time in high office.

Had either of the first two cases occurred then i doubt we would need a book to know about it.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Offline Manny

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2015, 07:09:56 AM »
Its quite interesting up to now actually. It walks the reader through history as Cheney sees it first, starting off with the founding fathers and the usual stuff about freedom and liberty, and he dwells on the relationship between the US and Europe in the second world war somewhat.

Reading through the lines you start to see the changes in attitude from what started out as good sound principles of freedom and liberty to what we see today (not sure he intended that to show through as clearly as it does). From what I deduced, it was somewhere between the end of the Vietnam war and the arrival of Carter as president the US started to become noticeably aggressive and interventionist abroad.

The book implies that Reagan was single handedly responsible for bringing down the Berlin wall with his Brandenburg speech.  :-\

It is an interesting read up to now for the non-American as it offers an insight into *why* Americans think as they do.

More later.  :reading:
I apologise.

Online andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 07:55:16 AM »
Yes, I look forward to giving it a go. Thanks Shakespear. As yet I have not received the document. Buggers will likely send me a notice that I have to go collect it and pay €1 VAT or something.

Given Cheney's position it is hardly surprising that he writes as he does - what is there to hide? Justify, yes, but hide - no. After all his is the correct position, yes?

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2015, 09:37:49 AM »
It is an interesting read up to now for the non-American as it offers an insight into *why* Americans think as they do.

That's EXACTLY why I sent it to you guys.  So you could gain a little insight.  Walk a mile in the other man's moccasins.

Online shakespear

• Supporting Member
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2015, 09:38:58 AM »
Yes, I look forward to giving it a go. Thanks Shakespear. As yet I have not received the document. Buggers will likely send me a notice that I have to go collect it and pay €1 VAT or something.

Don't think so, I listed the value as $10US, but perhaps my signature adds additional value.   :king:

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2015, 11:28:17 AM »
Its quite interesting up to now actually. It walks the reader through history as Cheney sees it first, starting off with the founding fathers and the usual stuff about freedom and liberty, and he dwells on the relationship between the US and Europe in the second world war somewhat.

Reading through the lines you start to see the changes in attitude from what started out as good sound principles of freedom and liberty to what we see today (not sure he intended that to show through as clearly as it does). From what I deduced, it was somewhere between the end of the Vietnam war and the arrival of Carter as president the US started to become noticeably aggressive and interventionist abroad.

The book implies that Reagan was single handedly responsible for bringing down the Berlin wall with his Brandenburg speech.  :-\

More later.  :reading:

Great review!  I'm very impressed not only that you are reading it but that you've grasped the details of how many Americans believe and feel about the World.  FWIW I am generally not a fan of Cheney due to his actions leading up the the Iraq war however I am a patriot so I identify with that portion.  Many Republicans I know don't like the Bush Jr./Cheney Presidency as it was not fiscally conservative nor do we care for too much NSA crap nor did we agree with the Iraq war once we saw that we were clearly deceived by the neo-cons, key word being con.
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Manny

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2015, 01:06:55 PM »
What is disappointing in a way is how he described the principles the US was founded on and its early development (I suppose we all knew them anyway but they are well presented therein). He describes a country that anyone would want to live in.

What I see as an outsider (and occasional visitor), is how far wide of that mark and those intended standards the US has become, both with actions abroad and the influence of big media and business on the masses and the political decision making. But that happens anywhere.

I had no opinion on Cheney one way or another, so I can read his opinions without any particular bias against the guy. He seems to have a dim view of Obama, but then again, so do most Americans.  :chuckle:
I apologise.