The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: The Effects of Russia's Counter Sanctions on EU Countries  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Manny

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
The Effects of Russia's Counter Sanctions on EU Countries
« on: September 06, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »
This is part of an article from the French paper Le Figaro Google Translated into English. I don't see this discussed too much in English language media. It is discussed a lot in the French media.

-------------------------------

How Much Do Russian Counter-sanctions Cost French Agriculture?

The direct effects, loss of earnings related to the closure of the Russian market for our exports, are also added the indirect effects: increased competition from other European countries can no longer export to Russia, which are moving towards our usual outlets. This mechanism leads to loss of markets outside Russia. Last month, Cross estimated loss for the French agriculture at 200 million euros. The Ministry of Agriculture and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not respond to requests from the Figaro. As for the main sectors affected by the sanctions, they provided their own figures.

• € 100 million for the pig industry

"France loses 100 million euros in revenue by not exporting more pork to Russia. But the shortfall is higher. Indeed, the financial impact is also indirect. The competition has increased in other markets with the arrival of former suppliers of Russia. Prices therefore decreased. The direct and indirect impact of the Russian embargo on French pig industry amounted to 400 million euros per year for France. For the EU the loss would amount to 4 billion euros, "explains William Roue, president of INAPORC, inter national swine.

• € 50 million for fruits and vegetables

"With the closure of the Russian market last year, the shortfall live for the EU is estimated at 500 million euros. For France, it is estimated at around 50 million euros, "said Daniel Soares, head of international marketing interprofessional fresh fruit and vegetables, Interfel. According to the inter, the French fruit and vegetable sector loses about 2% of its revenue due to the Russian embargo. That's not counting the indirect consequences with the postponement of exports to European and global markets where competition is increasing.

• € 109 million for milk

Milk side, Russia is, in normal times, the fifth outlet to third countries for France, says the National Interprofessional Centre of the Dairy Economy (CNIEL). "The country represents a market of 109 million euros until 2013, the last year 'full', without embargo," says Véronique Pilet, head of CNIEL economy service. Or just over 1% of the turnover of the sector, said the CNIEL. Again, we must not only limit the lack of the field to win the only decline in the value of domestic exports. All other embargoed countries must report product volumes, usually to Russia, elsewhere and come and cluttering the international market. Consequently, global dairy prices fall and import products, especially milk and Emmentaler, massively entering the French territory because they are cheaper. "The main consequence for the French dairy industry is the complete destructuring of global markets in volume and value," says Véronique Pilet.

• Loss of revenue for the EU

At European level, the loss is mathematically higher. Compared to the same period a year earlier, the global agri-food exports from the EU to Russia between August 2014 and May 2015 have increased from 9.4 billion euros to 5.4 billion euros, an down 43%, it said in a paper of the European Commission which states that the decline was driven by the devaluation of the ruble. Bilan? "The impact is clearly less than the advertised numbers," relativize Michael E. Lambert.

------------------------------

Source: http://www.lefigaro.fr/conjoncture/2015/08/07/20002-20150807ARTFIG00193-comment-les-pays-importateurs-contournent-l-embargo-russe.php

Online Markje

• MCMLXXIV
    • Mark's unix pages
  • Spouses Country: Crimea
Re: The Effects of Russia's Counter Sanctions on EU Countries
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 11:43:18 AM »
between August 2014 and May 2015 have increased from 9.4 billion euros to 5.4 billion euros, an down 43%,
Is my english lacking? I dont understand this part of the sentance

It goes up, but the 2nd number is lower and down 43% ?
You can change anything in life, but a BMW only for a BMW
My first trip to my wife: To Evpatoria!
My road trip to Crimea: Roadtrip to Evpatoria

Offline Manny

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 04:50:04 PM »
between August 2014 and May 2015 have increased from 9.4 billion euros to 5.4 billion euros, an down 43%,
Is my english lacking? I dont understand this part of the sentance

It goes up, but the 2nd number is lower and down 43% ?

I think it means the losses have increased, thus the increase in loss is a decrease.

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 10:53:48 AM »
I read in another article France is pushing to end the sanctions.
Would seem they must be hurting from the counter sanctions.
The article below seemed to fit the subject at hand.

Putin Achieves Political Draw in Sanctions War With Europe

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/putin-achieves-political-draw-sanctions-war-europe/ri9513
Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Offline Manny

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 11:02:38 AM »
Remember they just had to cough back up the money for the Mistral deal with damages for breach of contract on top as well.

France's losses are in the multi billions of Euros overall.

Even after counter sanctions end, there is no saying any of the EU will get back the business they lost, as Russia has by now substituted most things with domestic production or imports from elsewhere. They will have to fight to get any of that business back and reduce prices.

Online leslied

• Supporting Member
  • Spouses Country: Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 01:01:49 PM »
Just watched a round of Euronews. 5 minute report on the farmers demonstration in Brussels.  Prices of basic commodities like milk, milk products, pork and beef have fallen because of oversupply.  Farmers are demanding increased subsidies from the EU.

In large measure this situation is due to the Russian counter sanctions against the EU on the import of food commodities which has lead to overproduction and falling prices. Not a single word about this in the whole Euronews report. So typical of western media biased reporting...

IMHO the EU suppliers will NEVER regain their position in Russian markets.  The supply disruption and price rises which accompanied the introduction of these sanctions in Russia have abated.  Domestic supply has increased, Cheaper suppliers like Turkey have taken Spain and Portugal's market in Fruit and vegetables.  This caused temporary price rises in Turkey until growers increased production.

As Putin always maintained sanctions work both ways...

Online Tom Cat

Don't shoot the messenger, links to articles posted, don't necessarily reflect my personal opinion.

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 08:32:02 PM »
This article does not say the effects are caused by counter sanctions, but most likely it's having an effect on shipping.

Russia's slowdown hitting ports of Baltic neighbors

http://www.joc.com/port-news/european-ports/port-tallinn/russias-slowdown-hitting-ports-baltic-neighbors_20150907.html

Offline andrewfi

• Supporting Member
    • Articles About Almost Anything!
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 03:04:52 AM »
This article does not say the effects are caused by counter sanctions, but most likely it's having an effect on shipping.

Russia's slowdown hitting ports of Baltic neighbors

http://www.joc.com/port-news/european-ports/port-tallinn/russias-slowdown-hitting-ports-baltic-neighbors_20150907.html

Presumably the writer is unaware of Russian sea ports in Saint Petersburg and Kaliningrad that replace the Baltic State's ports? In the recent past Russia supported the ports in the Baltic States but, given the level of silliness in the Baltics, no longer do so. The suggestion that Russian economic slowdown is responsible for the change suggests that the writer did not do any research before writing.
The decline in the Russian economy overall has been very small in 2015 and actually grew in 2014. The decline in Russian trade through the ports has been much greater than the decline in the economy. (Q1 -2.2%)

Tom Cat, much of the 'counter sanctioned' stuff, foodstuffs from Europe, get to Russia by Road, it is faster to do so using the Via Baltica or across Belarus and Ukraine.

"For what else is the life of man but a kind of play in which men in various costumes perform until the director motions them offstage?" -Erasmus

Online msmoby

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 06:18:38 AM »
I can't even find the article.

I know the owner of one Baltic State Port - he lives in Cyprus . His father was one of the KGB big wigs in that former SSR and arranged a good price for it's purchase.

It was one of the few ports that didn't freeze up and seemed like a good buy at the time....converte from a sub base to a Container Port

IF the Baltic starts to freeze over, again - SpB and K'grad would be relying on ice-breakers and Baltic Ports...

In the meantime - not having access to the article.... could I point out that Novorossiyk - on the Black Sea - saw much of the now banned food imports from the Med nations like Cyprus, Greece, Italy, Spain, France, Romania, Bulgaria......?

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2015, 06:24:51 PM »

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 03:39:02 PM »

Offline Manny

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2015, 04:12:52 PM »
Finnish Farmers Claim Loss of €400 Million Due to Russia's EU Food Ban

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/finnish-farmers-claim-loss-eu400-million-due-russias-eu-food-ban/ri9754

Finland was the first to howl when sanctions were introduced. They were the first EU country to demand compensation from Brussels for lost trade.

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2015, 06:06:34 AM »
Remember they just had to cough back up the money for the Mistral deal with damages for breach of contract on top as well.

France's losses are in the multi billions of Euros overall.

Even after counter sanctions end, there is no saying any of the EU will get back the business they lost, as Russia has by now substituted most things with domestic production or imports from elsewhere. They will have to fight to get any of that business back and reduce prices.

Putin and Russia seem to turn things to their advantage more often than not

Mistral Cancelation Worked out Great for Russia

http://russia-insider.com/en/military/mistral-cancelation-worked-out-great-russia/ri9915

Online Tom Cat

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 06:22:39 AM »
Even if Ukraine is not a member of the EU, the EU still seems to be supporting them.

EU Taxpayers Charged €500 Million for Ukrainian Gas

http://russia-insider.com/en/politics/eu-taxpayers-charged-eu500-million-ukrainian-gas/ri9907