The World's #1 Russian, Ukrainian & Eastern European Discussion & Information Forum - RUA!

This Is the Premier Discussion Forum on the Net for Information and Discussion about Russia, Ukraine, Eastern Europe and the Former Soviet Union. Discuss Culture, Politics, Travelling, Language, International Relationships and More. Chat with Travellers, Locals, Residents and Expats. Ask and Answer Questions about Travel, Culture, Relationships, Applying for Visas, Translators, Interpreters, and More. Give Advice, Read Trip Reports, Share Experiences and Make Friends.

Author Topic: Russia heading to the Moon  (Read 290 times)

Offline Anteros

• Trips: 1-5
Russia heading to the Moon
« on: September 02, 2015, 10:09:13 PM »
In yet another bold move Russia announces their intention to go to the moon. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/russia-just-announced-its-officially-going-back-to-the-moon/ar-AAdSR5O
Be careful what you wish for, you might get it.

Offline Volshe

• moderndayruth
  • Spouses Country: Narnia
Re: Russia heading to the Moon
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 12:02:13 AM »
i'd use this opportunity to tell you one old, from the times of cold war, joke:

US state secretary rushes into the office of the President:

Mr President, bad news! Russians went to the moon and have painted it red!!!

The President replies: What's the problem? Send our guys with white paint to write Coca-Cola over it   :king:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
Douglas Adams

Offline Anteros

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 12:11:22 PM »
i'd use this opportunity to tell you one old, from the times of cold war, joke:

US state secretary rushes into the office of the President:

Mr President, bad news! Russians went to the moon and have painted it red!!!

The President replies: What's the problem? Send our guys with white paint to write Coca-Cola over it   :king:

:laugh:

Offline Anteros

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 12:14:10 PM »
Wot?  I thought for sure Manny would be a long to gloat that the Russians are going to the moon as the US space program is in disarray!  And I believe it is.  It's a shame we don't have a JFK or a Ronald Reagan to inspire Americans with another trip to the moon!  Anyways, kudos to Russia.

excerpt

"But now Roscosmos is reviving that program and sending a robotic spacecraft, called Luna 25, to the moon to do some scouting for a future lunar base. The agency has announced that it will land Luna 25 on the moon's south pole in 2024.

Engineers are already building the spacecraft, and the finished product will carry eight cameras to help it navigate, take pictures, and keep an eye on its drill tool as it digs into the lunar surface."

Online msmoby

• Spouses Country: Russia
  • Trips: 20+
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 01:16:01 PM »

''In response to the Russian Arktika 2007 expedition, Canada's Foreign Affairs Minister, Peter MacKay, said "this is posturing. This is the true north strong and free, and they're fooling themselves if they [ Russia] think dropping a flag on the ocean floor is going to change anything... This isn't the 14th or 15th century."

In response, Sergey Lavrov, the Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs, stated "when pioneers reach a point hitherto unexplored by anybody, it is customary to leave flags there. ''

So, aren't the Russians too late  ?